Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The largest furry story series!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drackmord

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the stories of the family nas-Kan large enough to be included in the list?http://www.nas-kan.org/stories/stories.html
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading them for hours every day since you posted that link(I still haven't reached the end, and I'm a fast reader) and I'd say they qualify.

Whether the word count is lage enough, though, I don't know, but I suspect that it is.
(Some of the stories are rather large)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
kodayu

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a update of the whole list as soon as I find the time, then I'll add that series too, if it qualifies (the index certainly suggest that).
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally finished reading, and I'd say it definitely qualifies...

One author, the same main characters throughout the series, and a few of those are anthro; foxlike humanoids, size-changeing cats(Becomes humanoid when they're big), intelligent spiders, 10' bearlike anthros....
And one of the main characters is AI...
(With a little help of magic)

The talking squirrel, though...

I'd say that this series is a 'must read'

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Drackmord

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I've made a significant contribution to the forum! That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Smile
kodayu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nas-Kan Stories put me in a tight spot: At first I was pretty much convinced that the series is the work of one single writer. But in some of the stories, a co-writer is credited and there are even stories written solely by that co-writer...
Technically the whole ranking was about the work of writers who work solely, because that regulation is simple, fair and comprehensible at the same time. And eliminates the possibility that the work of single writers would have to compete with series to which many people have contributed.
But I certainly don't want to be close-minded. So does anybody have any suggestions? Where should the line be drawn?

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might do this:
Have two totals, one for the primary writer and one for the whole story. Use the one for the primary writer for ranking. If a chapter has a co-author, give the primary writer half the score.

If that puts the primary writer's contribution below the million character mark, drop the story.

kodayu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
If that puts the primary writer's contribution below the million character mark, drop the story.

That's one of the problems actually... I wouldn't bother that much if the series would land somewhere between rank 10 and 25. But all the stuff I have retrieved up to now adds up to more than 3 MB, meaning that the series will compete against IC or Fox in the works and would probably place the series on rank 4 or 5...

Drackmord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to cause you such difficulties. Now I feel guilty and sad.

Sad
kodayu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drackmord wrote:
I didn't mean to cause you such difficulties. Now I feel guilty and sad.

Making people feeling sad and guilty...? Sounds like my job description...! Very Happy

Anthony had suggested me to contact Brian W. Antoine and ask him about his co-writer's role... Here's his answer:

Brian W. Antoine wrote:
Bob is co-author of the series. The stories where we are both listed as the authors, he'd write one chapter, I'd write the next. If he's listed as the sole author, then he wrote it without any input from me.

Doesn't make it any easier, does it? I haven't decided yet, although I lean towards a certain possibility. But let's hear the Jury first, before I pass judgement... Wink

kodayu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, update galore...

Here are the ups and downs since the last time (see the first page for the full ranking):

1. (-) Journal Entries
2. (-) Tanj/Trouble's Tales
3. (-) Thorhammer
4. (-) Identity Crisis
5. (-) A fox in the Works
6. (-) Wulf
7. (1 up) Spoontoon Tales
8. (2 up) Wilderhom Triology
9. (2 down) Blue Horizon
10. (1 down) ZigZag the Story
11 (-) The Chosen Few
12. (-) Tales of two Sabrinas (...)
13. (-) Gone Wylde
14. (-) From Depths to Heights
15. (2 up) The beginning of Dreams (...)
16. (1 down) Companions
17. (1 down) Otherworlds
18. (2 down) Light on Shattered Water
19. (-) Taj
20. (-) Human Memoirs
21. (3 up) Migratory Birds
22. (1 down) Anthropomorphic Foxes in Space
23. (1 down) Forest Tales
24. (1 down) Road Runner
25. (-) Sabrina

It's obvious that only four series are responsible for all the major changes in the ranking: Spoontoon Tales, Wilderhom, The Beginning of Dreams and Migratory Birds. The biggest jump took place at the very end of the ranking and was made by my own little series. (YES!) Cirrel did the most surprising advancement in the hard-fought midfield and would even have outdone Spoontoon Tales if that series had not grown too.
At the top the ranking stays the same even though Hikaru Katayamma and Fox Cutter have updated their series. The quantitative difference between these series is obviously much too great for any major change.
Oddly the most prolific writer since the last update had been the one who did not have to win anything: Elf Sternberg added five new chapters to his series and rushes ahead into new previously unknown heights.

I have not yet included the Nas-Kan series, still waiting for some advice...

Drackmord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise spining around in circles while hyperventilating until you collapse. The resulting altered state of consiouness may reveal the answers you seek.

I also advise changing the backgrounds on your website; the current ones make it a bit hard to read.
Foxeris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the way of the Nas-Kan series, as it's not an open setting, people can't just write in it, and Bob is mostly out of it anymore. When push comes to shove, Brian guided most of the plot... as I say in this case add it.

It really is one story, even if two people wrote it, it's a collaboration, as apposed to a shared universe like Metamor Keep or The Blind Pig.

Anyway, if it wasn't for Nas-Kan there wouldn't be any AFiW (which is why he's shown up in my series, and I in his), so it feels wrong for it not to be on the list.
kodayu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drackmord wrote:
I advise spining around in circles while hyperventilating until you collapse. The resulting altered state of consiouness may reveal the answers you seek.

Already tried that as well as banging my head against the wall. Didn't work.
Brick wall
Except that I got to paint up my wall now...

Drackmord wrote:
I also advise changing the backgrounds on your website; the current ones make it a bit hard to read.

I intend to switch to pdf-files in the near future anyway. Until then I recommend to download them as plain text and read them offline.

Kronos, the Blacktiger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Anthony! What about the firestaff saga ? Am I realy the first to mention this massive fantasy universe, that is already spanning 7 books ? There is lots of furry and hyooman stuff in it, and the main character is a were cat !
Maybe you should have a look at this site:

http://sennadar.plebian.net/ Smile

It's the backup site for James Galloway's books ( and no, they are NOT published, he writes just for the fun of it )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: