Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The largest furry story series!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kodayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CU there!
I will add Elf Sternberg's series as soon as I have the time (not before Monday!)

kodayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, on popular demand, The Journal Entries of Kennet R'yal Shardik have been added to the list and... guess what? We got a new Number 1!!!
Well, I guess it was sort of predictable.
But I feel a little bit uneasy about the series having not been written in chronological order... Confused I really don't know what to do about this as it differs from all the other series in the ranking. Is it truly a series then or just a short story collection? Any opinions or suggestions, anyone?

Last edited by kodayu on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems as they're all about the same character.

On another note, you need to update the link to Greg Howell's site.
The page you link to is NOT up to date on his stories...
it's here:
http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~howellg/

Yeah, that means you may have to do a recount on his stuff...
(As if anyone needs a reason to read through his material)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Ash Lawler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more for the list, though these should probably come out somewhere in the middle.

Simon Leo Barber's TOHO Academy story series comprising Eldritch Hop, Sea Vixen and the 17 chapters of Road Runner in his root directory.

Also, his rather newer (and still growing) Songmark series, written for inclusion in the rather splendid 1930's-style Spontoon Island fanzine.
kodayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
On another note, you need to update the link to Greg Howell's site.
The page you link to is NOT up to date on his stories...

Yeah, that means you may have to do a recount on his stuff...
(As if anyone needs a reason to read through his material)

Light on shattered Water is finished so I don't expect too much of a change there (and the zipped txt files on his site are almost the same size as listed)... Very Happy
But I will change the adress as soon as I have checked out those series Ash Lawler has mentioned!

kodayu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another update and the list keeps on growing and growing...
(and my own series sinks even lower and lower)
Now Greg Howell occupies not only the 16th but also the 20th place with another series "Human Memoirs". And newcomer Simon Barber secured himself the 8th place with his ongoing series "Spoontoon Tales" and the 23rd too...
Fortunately the other series from Simon Barber Ash Lawler mentioned were not long enough. Fortunately, because two series are enough for a single writer. Otherwise all the other guys on the list would just get jealous... Wink

Saia Kferr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thought I’d poke my nose in here and say hello, drop a few thoughts, and thank you for including my work. (BTW I can not send mail to recipients at Tigress.com as they have my ISP listed as a generator of spam. All I can say is it wasn’t me! ;^) )

Let me start by saying my writing comes from a slightly different angle from many that have expressed thoughts here. I tend to write just for the pleasure of it with little thought of being published outside of my web page. Would I like to someday become published? Yes, but I’ll likely not explore this option till I retire from my day job. Maybe by then I will have figured out how to write. ;^)

Anyway, I noted the exploration of what makes a furry story and why the general public are uncomfortable with furry material in general. Well I think I can answer that to some extent as a person that is not immersed in the community. It’s not the sex per say, or the interrelations of the human and non human characters in furry lit or art that cause people to give it a miss. It’s not even the fact that many stories are not human-centric. It’s mostly caused by the public view of what is a furry and that has been generated by the mass media noticing our existence for the first time.

What do you think the general public’s first vision of the furry community was when they first noticed its existence? Was it what brought us to it, like Disney’s “Robin Hood” or the other anthropomorphic stories that people grow up with without even thinking of them as such? Was it one of our stories out on the web? No, most people don’t even see that as furry. The fist exposure the general public had to what is now called furry is the special on fursuiters that aired on MTV or the CSI episode on the fellow in the fursuit.

I heard a lot of negative feedback after those two crude programs aired. Questions like “So, do you think you are an animal?” or “Do you feel you need to get into a fursuit when you have sex?” or “Do you have sex with animals?” That’s how a good deal of the public sees anyone that’s involved in any way with anthropometrics from writing to art, and its going to take a while for that vision of what a furry is to die down.

With this in mind you may ask why I still write anthropomorphic stories. The simple answer is that I, like you, enjoy the idea, and love holding up the slightly skewed mirror of a nonhuman viewing the universe and seeing it as they would. I also feel that producing good quality works that fall outside what the general pubic expects of us is the best way to put our point across that we are not all the same anymore than “Scientific American” and “Hustler” are the same thing because they are both magazines.

On the positive side I’ve noted an improvement in the acceptance of anthropomorphics at SiFi cons and oddly or not I think I can say what is causing this after attending the last Dragon Con. You may laugh or look down your noses at this but its anime. I think that “Inuyasha” has done more to undo the damage done to our public image than anything any of us could do. Not to mention the dog demon seems to be making a good bit of money. Maybe this will help persuade some of those reluctant publishers out there to give furry a chance. Also the upcoming big budget Chronicles of Narnia could change a few minds in the general public.

Well, I’ve said more than I thought I would, so I’m going to go sit in the corner and see if I can finish my last novel.

Saia
kodayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

Saia Kferr wrote:
Anyway, I noted the exploration of what makes a furry story and why the general public are uncomfortable with furry material in general. Well I think I can answer that to some extent as a person that is not immersed in the community. It’s not the sex per say, or the interrelations of the human and non human characters in furry lit or art that cause people to give it a miss. It’s not even the fact that many stories are not human-centric. It’s mostly caused by the public view of what is a furry and that has been generated by the mass media noticing our existence for the first time.

Actually these events remind me of the general public's treatment of the RPG community back in the late 1970s/early 1980s. That was the time where the first RPGs surfaced in the wake of the publishing of the Lord of the Rings. The reaction of the public sometimes bordered on the hysteric, most notably due to an organization, simply called BADD ("Bothered about Dungeons & Dragons") (This is not a joke! It really existed! See here: http://www.holysmoke.org/wb/wb0017.htm ) which accused RPGers to be either satanists, fascists, sexual deviants or simply psychically deranged, or all of it at the same time. Sounds familiar?

Actually BADD started off after an avid RPGer's suicide and was nothing more than a panel for parents who were actually bothered that theirs kids preferred to hunt monsters instead of taking care of their highschool exams.

The mass media quickly followed in the footsteps of BADD, led by their impeccable sense for scandal. Unfortunately there is little original material from that time left, except maybe such memorable movies as Mazes and Monsters, starring the young Tom Hanks (read the review!).

But it would be partial to neglect the obvious fact that the RPG community was- at least partly- responsible for the whole ruckus: The usage of names from judao-christian mythology (Succubus, Devils et al.) was certainly bad publicity. Wink And it was not helpful either that you could only get your RPG supply in well hidden speciality stores of usually rather questionable standing which also sold other shunned material, such as underground movies, hardrock devotional objects (including- oh, my god!!!- bongs) and so on...

My point is that the furry community is pretty much at the same point right now. The general public has become aware of our existence and the mass media tries to make some profit out of it in the same vein as they always do, following their guideline "Only bad news are good news!", meaning furries are all zoophiles, psychically deranged, blablabla... But just as the RPGers we are partly responsible for this ourselves. I remember some conventions which would remind an outsider rather of the annual meeting of the BDSM community than a convention of fantasy fans (because that's what we are, kinks and fetishes aside).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to exclude anyone, after all I am writing yiffy stories myself. But as long as we are not in control of our public image and the community keeps on to send out such conflicting and controversial images such as the coexistence of fans of children's movies with anthropomorphic characters and XXX BDSM/zoophile/snuff/... devotees within the same community, the general public will look down on us and the mass media will keep on to exploit us for cheap thrills. Consequentially the marketability of furry stuff is virtually non-existant (except within the community of course)...

In short: Just look how long the RPG community needed to overcome its image. (On a side note: BADD folded in 1997 after more than 15 years of constant fighting against the RPG community.)

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

Saia Kferr wrote:
Let me start by saying my writing comes from a slightly different angle from many that have expressed thoughts here. I tend to write just for the pleasure of it with little thought of being published outside of my web page. Would I like to someday become published? Yes, but I’ll likely not explore this option till I retire from my day job. Maybe by then I will have figured out how to write. ;^)

Actually, I'd say you're not alone with that desire. I didn't start writing Identity Crisis with a plan to publish. It was just a way to escape from the reality of life while taking some people along at the same time.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it being published (after a serious re-write of Act 1), but I'm realistic enough to know that nobody in their right mind would publish this story.

One day I do want to write something for publication, but that won't happen any time soon.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kodayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Actually, I'd say you're not alone with that desire. I didn't start writing Identity Crisis with a plan to publish. It was just a way to escape from the reality of life while taking some people along at the same time.

ditto

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

kodayu wrote:
My point is that the furry community is pretty much at the same point right now. The general public has become aware of our existence and the mass media tries to make some profit out of it in the same vein as they always do, following their guideline "Only bad news are good news!", meaning furries are all zoophiles, psychically deranged, blablabla... But just as the RPGers we are partly responsible for this ourselves. I remember some conventions which would remind an outsider rather of the annual meeting of the BDSM community than a convention of fantasy fans (because that's what we are, kinks and fetishes aside).

To quote from Uncle Kage at AC2002: "We are now where Star Trek was 15 years ago and we're closing up fast."

kodayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from the outside. Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
To quote from Uncle Kage at AC2002: "We are now where Star Trek was 15 years ago and we're closing up fast."

Are you sure he wasn't joking? Wink

Saia Kferr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good points there Kodayu, and the comparison between RPG and Furry is good one.

Are the furry at the point Star Trek was 15 years ago? I don’t think so. More like back in about 1970.

I’ll give a way a bit more info about my age here. I was part owner of a Toy & Hobby Shop back in 79 and we made a killing off of selling RPG material when the first boxed sets of AD&D came out, even having costuming contests, and tournaments in the store. As a matter of fact I met my wife there showing people how to play AD&D. Then in 80 - 81 we saw a fall off of our general sales when many of our customers stopped coming.

Someone had been circulating a flyer called “Role Playing God Out of Our Children” accusing anyone that associated with RPGs as being a tool of secular thinking (read “The Devil”) and that we were trying to take their children from them. It only got worse from there till we went out of business. I guess we should have bent to the will of the public and stopped selling RPG stuff, but when sales of other material dropped off, that was all that was making us what little money was coming in. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.

Conclusion, people in general are stupid and panicky by nature, and willing to think the worse of anyone given the opportunity. Thus my motto for them of “Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!”

Now back to writing. I’ve been a voracious reader for years, but never gave writing a thought till I started reading what was out there on the web. That, and a need to improve my spelling and typing skills (dammed people just had to stop programming in machine code ;^) ) made me sit down and start playing with them there keyboard thingies. Let me tell you it wasn’t easy for this old dog. I’d sworn never to sit at a keyboard again after squeaking past my typing tests in high school, but after taking the plunge it became easier and came much faster than I'd expected. Finally, when I’d gotten to the point were the mechanics of typing were no longer my top concern (now were is that stinking shift key?) I started writing things for my gaming group based around the world of my lion people, and they loved it and asked for more. (Go figure.)

From there I went to fan fic (yea, there is a lot of Star Trek in the background of my writing) and finally after some serious pushing (Thank you Paul. May your Goddess keep your soul) merged the two to my own original stories.

While I’ve come a long way, I feel that I still have a long way to go. Having said this, my question is do you feel you have gone far enough in your works to feel comfortable submitting them for publication? If so, what makes you feel this, and why did you pick anthropomorphic fiction as a subject?

Saia
kodayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saia Kferr wrote:
Many good points there Kodayu, and the comparison between RPG and Furry is good one.

Are the furry at the point Star Trek was 15 years ago? I don’t think so. More like back in about 1970.

I agree with you. I think the really bad stuff for is still awaiting for the fandom. Although there have already been some obstacles especially some of the conventions met, I take any bet that there will be worse in the future. I remember someone mentioning in the CYD forum that this whole Rush Limbaugh episode could have gone totally out of control if a single journalist would have gotten his hands on Shawn Keller's Blackberry animation (I know that this is far over the top...). Fortunately research is outdated.

Up to now the fandom has there hasn't met a serious opponent yet. But I can't believe it will ever stay that way. One just has to imagine some organizations like BADD busting conventions, agitating and maybe even pressing charges against individual furries (on the basis of making porn accessible to children, indecent behavior,...).

But let's get back to the important stuff! (as long as we still can... Wink )

Saia Kferr wrote:
While I’ve come a long way, I feel that I still have a long way to go. Having said this, my question is do you feel you have gone far enough in your works to feel comfortable submitting them for publication? If so, what makes you feel this, and why did you pick anthropomorphic fiction as a subject?

Personally I can't say that I would that I wouldn't rule out the possibility of publishing my furry work someday. Actually I am currently aiming to pursue a career in RL which will force me to publish stuff sooner or later. So I better don't be afraid of the idea altogether. I consider my furry stories to be some sort of creative playground, but of course, I try to make the stories as good as I can. So if someone would like to publish it... Hell, why not? After all I can only win. If it doesn't work out I can still do my stuff on my own website.

Now the crucial question: Why furry? I have been a fan of fantastic literature of every kind. Basically I enjoyed all of it: High Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk,... When I discovered Furry for the first time, I mistook it for some kind of some kind of "adult" fantasy. Even though I have realized my mistake by now, that's what I am still pursuing: Furry as some sort of adult fantasy. And there's something else which activates my creative juices. Very Happy I think that anthropomorphic characters are a very powerful metaphor (just like in fables). I don't think that I have fully mastered this up to now, but I think that is where the true potential of furry art (in general) lies. Until that day I will keep on fooling around on my playground.

So,... any different voices?

JonaWolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saia Kferr wrote:

While I’ve come a long way, I feel that I still have a long way to go. Having said this, my question is do you feel you have gone far enough in your works to feel comfortable submitting them for publication?

Y'know, I'm still not sure what to think of my own writing, even after five years of trying. I guess it's not bad, but it's not that great either. Either way I doubt that anything I've written to date is of sufficient quality to submit for publishing. Maybe after several more years of learning and experience it will be a different story but then again maybe not. I don't really take myself seriously as an author and getting something published was never really a goal for me when I started writing. Posting my stuff on the internet is good enough for me.

Saia Kferr wrote:
why did you pick anthropomorphic fiction as a subject?

That's a good question. I've always been a fan of fantasy and sci-fi stories and when I stumbled upon a few stories that featured anthros I found them to be very intriguing and a refreshing change from stories featuring human characters. I'd never really considered writing before but all of the anthro fiction I read started a story knocking about in my head that would likely have been exceptionally boring had it involved only humans.

My Stories - LJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: