Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transitions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghostwolf
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent story, please do continue...

Ghostwolf out...

D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Smackdown. Oooo Gabby's daddy a Godfather, and will do anything to get her back home mean and stupid. So far your story has kept me on the edge of my seat keep up the good work and keep it coming.
We want more, we want more,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smackdown -

What a shame that screwdriver hit Watson handle first, instead of embedding itself in his head point-first. The world would certainly sigh with relief at the loss of Mr. Watson, I'm sure. Perhaps Randy should get some practice at throwing things.

I was quite impressed by Slam's self-control. Most Marines I've encountered would have been much more... verbose? Yeah, verbose, about getting shot. Turned the air blue with descriptive commentary, most would. So good for Slam! Another gentlefur.

Quite true about explosive decompression at altitude. But the Herk is a tough bird, I once saw one return with most of it's starboard inboard engine missing after a runaway prop governor threw a blade almost completely through the fuselage. Messy, but the crew got home safe, and that's what it's all about.

I'm enchanted with where Jean and Esteban appear to be headed. How quickly her life is changing, and finally for the better! El lobo es un caballero de la escuela vieja, simpatico y más grande que vida. I like him a lot, not only for what he feels for Jean but for how he carries himself through his own life. Quite the wolf, he is.

You've done a good job capturing Zig's personality. Your take on her is very much in parallel with that of Chris Yost and James Bruner, and your story is equally engaging. Good stuff!

<winks> Back to the millstone...

SC

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about Gabby's parents' marriage...

I couldn't help but think "I hope they don't breed". Of course it's too late for that... Rolling Eyes

And then the old "Boy gets spoiled and Girl has to do whatever the parents want"...
Given how intimate their marriage is, I must say that their son's homosexuality should not be any reason for him not to marry (for them not to want him to marry). I'm sure they can find a femme for him to sire foals on, even if they do nothing else together. If he's really heterophobic, I'm sure they can easily spring for an artificial insemination or whatever. And then he can do whatever he wants with his lovers.

Given that it is unlikely that Gabby's parents were completely chaste all their live (except for those few in-marriage) occasions, I wonder how they failed to consider (and execute) this option.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait and see Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About explosive decompression...

That was debunked quite throughly in Mythbusters on Discovery channel...

Yes, a bullethole will let the air out, but it will not cause the 'everything is sucked out' effect that Hollywood likes to use...
You need a much, much larger hole.

In the show they needed an explosive charge to create the effect.
(They even tried firing bullets through a window, but with little more effect than a small hole)

Besides...
On the C-130, I thought the cargo-hold was unpressurised?
(Meaning that holes doesn't matter that much anyway)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, given how ruthless her father is, one has to wonder if Gabby's way of trying to get her parents to back off won't be more than a little dangerous. If he decides that he can't clean the stain to the family honor by disowning her, but that it takes a more permanent solution... Evil or Very Mad
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification about a C-130. The difference between "the Bitch" and most other C-130's though, is that it IS used to fly people and not just cargo.

I've taken note of it, but Silver Coyote originally approved of the way it was done and since "the Bitch" and the B-team are his creations, I think it'll stand as is Smile

As for Gabby's parents...again, wait and see. Lots more to happen on that storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to indicate that there was anything wrong with the story, after all, most people still believes that a small hole equals certain doom...
(Aircraft have landed safely even after getting holes big enough to drive a car through... Of course with that size holes, people have been sucked out)

Incredibly enough, I never flew on the C-130 while I was in the RNoAF, only their Bell transports and the Sea King sea-rescue choppers, so I have no first-hand experience with their pressurized hull, or lack off.
(I did get to sit in the seat of an F-16 once, though. Pity it was in the shop, having its engine replaced at the time...)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i still like everything about the chapters. hope more come soon.

as to the decompression well, you also have to take into considerationa that : one, he could have been exagerationg to place doubts on the butler's mind, and second, you have to also take into consideration that the bullets were not specified (nor the gun i think) so the damage to the structure cannot be determined.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but...

The butler was holding a pistol which he could conceal on his body.
Usually that means a 9mm or smaller calibre.
You can use a bigger calibre, but then you usually have fewer rounds.

And the Herc is sturdy...
It's supposed to be able to take shrapnel hits and keep flying. The hull is also strong enough to withstand the forces of an JATO take-off, or a bumpy landing on an uneven runway and still be able to take-off again.

So unless he has MP ammo or something similarly destructive, I doubt a single pistol would do much damage.
(MP = Multi-Purpose, tracer, Incendiary and ArmorPiercing. Nasty stuff. It's the sole reason we still have Quad .50 AA guns. )

Like my Avatar?
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, THAT one I had thought about Anthony.

If you notice, he sits down and puts his gun together in one of the chapters. I admit I should've been clearer on that issue, but it's a custom made thing. It packs a godawful lot of punch for something it's size. Most custom guns are either made for that purpose, for concealability or for a combination of the two.
Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen some pretty small bullets that pack a big punch though i must admit, i don't know how much damage a c-130 can take.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Herc can take a lot of punishment.

And my point on concealed guns still holds true.
Barrel size and thickness is dictated by the size and charge of the round.
The wanted accuracy dictates its length.
A revolver is even more difficult to hide, and takes a lot fewer rounds(but is mechanically simpler)
And it had to be small enough to be inconspicious when hidden on his body.

Like my Avatar?
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Besides...On the C-130, I thought the cargo-hold was unpressurised? (Meaning that holes doesn't matter that much anyway)

I believe the cargo bay can be pressurized while sealed. Explosive decompression doesn't have near as much effect as Hollywood or some writers would have you believe. As part of the more stringent requirements for certification for flight at 51,000 ft. and higher, you have to demonstrate that you can take a puncture the equivalent of a .45ACP slug through the skin or window and still get down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 3 of 48

Jump to: