Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feathers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Feathers Reply with quote

Any of you out there doing the 3D thing every try feathers?

Hair / fur is bad enough, I can't even begin to imagine how I would go about doing feathers and getting them to look right. LOL who am I kidding? Mr. Madonna chest here. . . . Smile

1) Model them individually and end up with 75 bazillion polys and a six year render time

or

2) Use image maps / transparency maps ( would probably look flat )

Ideas?
Mapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texture map in combo with bump maps and transparency maps. not perfect but like ya said it would have a bazillion polys to make a true feather.

Av by GreyCat

Last edited by Mapper on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I know Maya Unlimited's got that feature, you could use some 3rd party plugins, but these require a whack-load of CPU power and RAM
Little_Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Feathers Reply with quote

Daye wrote:
2) Use image maps / transparency maps ( would probably look flat )

Image maps and transparency are a good approach, and if you use a layered mesh (feathers beneath feathers) and stagger the arrangement you can give them some volume.

This example, rendered in Poser 5, consists of only 27 polygons. Not the best texture/transmap, admittedly, but what do you think?
Daye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Doable Reply with quote

The methods I've seen used involve the layering of flat polygons with feather image / transparency maps on them. ( Exactly as you show ) They seem to work, but was thinking about the orientation nightmare of those polys.

On wing sections and main body it would be doable, but around the head and perhaps even the legs ( very small areas ) it would drive one to insanity I think Smile

Though, aside from modeling the feathers individually ( not really practical ) I don't see another way of doing it myself.

-Daye
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Doable Reply with quote

Daye wrote:
The methods I've seen used involve the layering of flat polygons with feather image / transparency maps on them. ( Exactly as you show ) They seem to work, but was thinking about the orientation nightmare of those polys.

On wing sections and main body it would be doable, but around the head and perhaps even the legs ( very small areas ) it would drive one to insanity I think Smile

Though, aside from modeling the feathers individually ( not really practical ) I don't see another way of doing it myself.

-Daye

Why not use Deep Paint3D and paint the textures onto the model?
Little_Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Doable Reply with quote

Daye wrote:
They seem to work, but was thinking about the orientation nightmare of those polys.

It helps if you're insane to start with ... saves a lot of time.

Example:

Every square inch of Wolfgang here (except for his head, hands, and toes) is covered in transmapped fur.
Little_Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* watches BriannaZombie lurch around the studio, moaning "Carrbbbssss" .... *

I dunno. Ever since they remade Night of the Living Dead ... it's just not the same any more.
Mapper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy @%$%# LD.
Dawn of the road kill.
Excellent Halloween Avatar. Very Happy

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Daye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Doable Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
Daye wrote:

-Daye

Why not use Deep Paint3D and paint the textures onto the model?

The texture map method would work unless you were doing close up shots. Then it would become obvious the feathers were texture mapped pretty quickly.

I suppose I could, but me and DeepPaint don't get along well. Smile

Well, sort of. It seems that everytime I get my licensekey re-initialized from the server, my system goes stupid and crashes. First time was a software failure ( Windows XP ) the second time was a hard drive crater. ( Have to release the key from the server before I can request it to authorize another load of it. Absolutely HATE that system. End up having to email them to get it working again. )

DeepUV does the same thing. Though DeepExploration doesn't. It doesn't require a server to connect with to work. Go figure. *sigh*

But, whatever. I'll have to think about it some more I suppose.

-Daye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> CG Furry Art All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: