Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand Opening of a Universe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Grand Opening of a Universe Reply with quote

Okay, it seems like there are a few people out there who actually like my story Feline Destiny and who knows, maybe some are even interested in writing a story of their on in this (far) distant future version of the Sabrinaverse.

Well, I would love to see such a thing happening and to encourage it I decided to work out some guidelines to make working out a story a little easier (I at least hope they will). Okay, here they (note: in no particular order)

Basics: This is a sci-fi universe set in the year 4917. A good part of the Galaxy is colonized or at least explored. Interstellar travel is as natural as flying in a plane in our time.

Politics: The biggest force is the Galactic Furry Empire. However, it is still in the process of rebuilding its power after the war against the Computer Guild. Around the Empire there are a myriad of small pocket empires and independent planets.

Species: Mammals. I never bothered to introduce reptiles or aquatic species. Also there are no equines or other hoofed animals but this is a part we can talk about.

Hybrids: Rare. In fact, very rare. Let's face it, hybrids are unnatural. If all species are forced to live on the same planet its only a matter time till cross-species relations happen but in a galaxy with a lot of 'space' the different species usually stick to their own kind. That is no purism, it's just natural.

I know, this rule doesn't seem to make much sense since there are at least 3 hybrids in Feline Destiny but that's a part of what the story is about.

That leads to the point that planets are usually inhabited by a single species or at least a single family of species. Of course, there are exceptions. Cosmopolitan planets like Terra as center of the Empire of course feature a large variety of species. Also planets that serve a single purpose like mining planets usually attract the best in the field they are purposed to and these are not necessarily of the same species. Last but not least there are corporate controlled worlds. Megacorporations often recruit the furs they need completely regardless of their species.

Aliens: None. All intelligent life originates from Earth. However, this is another point that's discussable.

Technology level: Could be much higher but during the Fall if the Federation and the Guild Wars (see the FD timeline) a lot knowledge got lost. A few details: As stated, interstellar travel is not unusual at all. Spacetravel itself is something common and easily affordable for most furs. Architectural technology is much more advanced than in the present. Buildings that are a kilometer high or even higher are nothing unusual on dense populated planets. Genetics are not that much far advanced than in our time. There is no tinkering with the DNA as you want to but slight changes, like making plants more resistant against extreme temperatures is possible. Also it is possible to clone lost or damaged limps or organs. In the field of cybernetics there is not much that is not possible but the advanced stuff is very expensive. If you can't afford cloning getting a cybernetic arm is not unusual and it can also be disguised to the point that only a close examination will reveal it as artificial. Cybernetic interfaces, dataports, brain-computer connections or however you want to call them are nothing out of usual either but not that many furs have them because they are expensive and not exactly harmless for the user.

For more details just fire me a mail with what you need to know.

Fantasy elements: No magic. Point. Psychic or Psion abilities like telepathy and telekinetic are possible but extremely rare.

Crossovers with Feline Destiny? Sure, why not. Just tell me what you've planned and we'll work something out.

Okay, that's all I can think of right now. Continuity is something I value very high but these guidelines are by no means carved into stone. Of most them are discussable.

In case of a question, just send me a mail or post the question here.

Thanks, and good luck in all your writing endeavors, what and wherever they may be.

Pflarrian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Opening of a Universe Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

Okay, that's all I can think of right now. Continuity is something I value very high but these guidelines are by no means carved into stone. Of most them are discussable.

Thanks, and good luck in all your writing endeavors, what and wherever they may be.

I think I'll post here - we've got too many email flying back and forth as it is, Tygon. Wink

Do you mind horribly if I start writing some filler stories from the historian's point of view - you know, about the Independance Wars and such?

I already have one plot planned out, and others are vying for attention in my head... Rolling Eyes
Tygon @ Maxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Opening of a Universe Reply with quote

Pflarrian wrote:
Tygon wrote:

I think I'll post here - we've got too many email flying back and forth as it is, Tygon. Wink

Do you mind horribly if I start writing some filler stories from the historian's point of view - you know, about the Independance Wars and such?

I already have one plot planned out, and others are vying for attention in my head... Rolling Eyes

Geez, I completely forgot that as AC. Please, Pfarr, go on. That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see what ideas you have.

-------------------------

Tygon @ Maxx
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Opening of a Universe Reply with quote

Tygon @ Maxx wrote:

Geez, I completely forgot that as AC. Please, Pfarr, go on. That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see what ideas you have.

Well, it's not like I remembered to talk to you about it, is it? Wink

Cool. Thank, Tygon. I'll start tinkering with a few of the idea floating in my head, then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tygon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: