Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pastor Chris Yost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbird wrote:
Ow. I was under the impression that you had an older model van. That makes things a bit more difficult.

You have NO idea. No junkyard has anything that new, and new parts are priced through the roof!

I did manage to find a new radiator for the cheapest price I could find, with shipping it'll run about $236 and change, and I'll have it Tuesday. So you all know what I'll be doing Tuesday after work, at probably 7 in the evening, rain or shine (and at time of night, ain't gonna be much shine.

However, I still won't be able to drive it as I can only salvage 1 cooling fan. The other is still going to have to be purchased, and learning this after talking to my wife last night (she's in Kentucky for the weekend again), we'll have something like $70 to see us through until the end of the month's payday, and that's supposed to cover food, gas (I use $10-12 a day communting!), and the inlaws are due home Wednesday and it's their truck I'm driving, and they're gonna want it back. Not to mention I'm going to have to cover a $200 tab at Enterprise Rent-a-Car myself since we were uninsured ... then after the van's back on the road, I still have to worry about bodywork between now and the end of January when inspection is due.

This is about the worst we've been in a loooonnnng time.

Quote:
Maybe you can start moonlighting with the state Fish & Wildlife Service. They've got a Population Control division, right?

<G> Lord knows I'm qualified Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
This whole thing with Chris hitting the deer is starting to feel a little ominous to me as I'm buying a brand new van myself. But I don't see many deer and when I do they're usualy smart enough to move away from the lights.

Deer move away from the lights?? Where do you live, dude, I'll move there!
What color's the sky there? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
Chris,
Very sorry about the deer. can't figure out why you're such a magnet for them.

Sure wish somebody would figure it out. I've got to be the worst insurance risk in the state.

Quote:
Big congratulations on your ordination. Pastor Yost. has a nice ring to it.

Thanks! Smile

Although it seems everything started happening the day after I faxed in my application for it. I keep wondering if Job had it that bad, and I'm sure he would have, had he owned a minivan Smile

Quote:
Tigermark (Does this mean you'll be helping moderate the Christian Furs panel at MFM next year? *smile*)

Thought crossed my mind Smile But I don't know that I'm that qualified yet Smile Plus, I don't know if I'll make it to any cons next year. Money is not my friend these days any more than deer are Sad
mrblanche

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Missing deer Reply with quote

I missed the beginning of this discussion, but I have one question...did you TRY to miss the deer? If you did, DON'T!!! In fact, we train our drivers to aim for the deer. The odds are good that when you get there, they won't be there any more. And you certainly don't want to try swerving around, missing them; that's a good way to wreck a car.

We used to live in Hamburg, PA, where there were so many deer, the insurance companies offered special deer insurance. Don't know if they still do.

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
Typhun

Location: Somerset, England - The left armpit of the universe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
I have only encountered a few live deer on the road and one elk cow. (why is a deer a doe and an elk a cow anyway?)

well, i live in the middle of somerset. i can only go three yards before i see a tree. current tally on the Kingston-mobile is 2 deer, female, 3 badgers, 1 squirrel, a goose, 2 sparrows, and we winged a fox. poor bastard.

...so i can share your pain.

in that old-fasioned Avro of mine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing deer Reply with quote

mrblanche wrote:
I missed the beginning of this discussion, but I have one question...did you TRY to miss the deer?

No, I aimed dead-on and stomped the gas Razz

I didn't have much time to react. I had deer in the left lane and trees to my right, and the deer saw me and started running, all I could do was hit the brakes and watch. They freeze in the headlights? I don't think so!

Quote:
If you did, DON'T!!! In fact, we train our drivers to aim for the deer. The odds are good that when you get there, they won't be there any more. And you certainly don't want to try swerving around, missing them; that's a good way to wreck a car.

No offense, but unless you're training tractor-trailer drivers, that's a heluva thing to be teaching them! And I'm living proof of the effects of hitting one ... or several.

I agree with that thinking if it's a smaller animal (skunks notwithstanding) that's not going to create treble damage to your vehicle. But a deer, sorry, if I can avoid one and not damage my van, myself, or anyone else or their vehicle, I will.

Quote:
We used to live in Hamburg, PA, where there were so many deer, the insurance companies offered special deer insurance. Don't know if they still do.

I've never been told of it, but it'd be something I'd invest in in a heartbeat!
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to invest in a moose-bumper grill. My boss had one on his truck when I worked at Domino's in Georgia. When delivering to the back woods, we'd use his truck rather than the car. Damnd deers would jump out in front of the vehicle. I personally nailed two of them doing about 45. This bumper (A reinforced, braced steel grate covering the entire fron tof the truck) didn't flinch when hit. It did, however, make a mess out of the deer which in turn made a mess out of the truck, but was easily washed off.

Now if only you could get something like that made for your van, eh?

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hortmage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I've heard the same thing about animal collisions. Drivers shouldn't try to swerve to avoid the deer/elk/moose/mastadon. Swerving can cause you to hit other drivers or, worse yet, lose control of the car and flip/crash off the road.

What you are supposed to do is to brake immediately, while holding the car steadily straight. As was mentioned above, there's a chance that the deer will not be standing still in the same spot when you get there (not a great chance, but still...). Just as you are about to hit the deer, let your foot off the brake. This is not meant to be cruel or sick! If you're in a car or small van, when you brake the whole car is tilted forward, lowering the windshield slightly. If you hit the deer and it bounces up onto the hood, it may go through your windshield, causing severe injury to the driver and passenger. By letting up on the brake, the car is no longer tilted forward, giving you a bit more protection in case the deer bounces up.

I think I have a web site reference to this at the office, and I'll try to find it and post it sometime.

My solution: get those @#%! flying cars that we were supposed to have in the 21st Century! Then, all you'd have to worry about is flying reindeer around Christmas time....

racky raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok going back to the pastor part of this.

can you preform weddings and christnings Chris???? Wink (man that was soooooo crpyic)

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
You need to invest in a moose-bumper grill.

Similar thoughts HAVE crossed my mind! And if/when the van is completely rebuilt (well, it's WHEN, not "if", just a question of doing it as I can afford it), that will be a serious consideration. Those puppies are probably expensive as [heck] though.

Quote:
... This bumper (A reinforced, braced steel grate covering the entire fron tof the truck) didn't flinch when hit. It did, however, make a mess out of the deer which in turn made a mess out of the truck, but was easily washed off.

I can't think of a better sales pitch than that!

Quote:
Now if only you could get something like that made for your van, eh?

Anything can be fabricated! I just need the material ... well, and the capital ... and the tools ... and the know-how ...
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hortmage wrote:
Chris, I've heard the same thing about animal collisions. Drivers shouldn't try to swerve to avoid the deer/elk/moose/mastadon. Swerving can cause you to hit other drivers or, worse yet, lose control of the car and flip/crash off the road.

Well me, I've heard differently, and if you remember what happened to Mark Stanley when he hit an elk, you'll see why I'd never plow into a deer unless I had no choice. I do agree with you on the dangers; thankfully I had no one on either side of me and only one other driver who was a couple hundred yards behind me and never in any danger of colliding with me ... when I could say he rear-ended me and pushed me into the deer, and his insurance could have covered it all Smile

Quote:
My solution: get those @#%! flying cars that we were supposed to have in the 21st Century! Then, all you'd have to worry about is flying reindeer around Christmas time....

LOL!

But you're right! Where IS my flying car, dammit?? I was promised!!

BTW, I had this discussion first time I met Dave Ellis, PhD in Cleveland (the 3-D rocket-scientist artist in the Foxx Den gallery). He had a very good observation on that: We have enough trouble driving in 2 dimensions, can you imagine if we drove in 3 ?? Smile
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hortmage wrote:
Drivers shouldn't try to swerve to avoid the deer/elk/moose/mastadon.

From what I heard that is true. My brother hit a deer when he was in Canada. He didn't swerve (there was no time to even try), but he was told that his insurance would not have paid for the damage if he had swerved and ruined his car because of it. They did pay for the damage the deer inflicted.
Ok, this was a rental car, their insurance may have different rules...

mrblanche

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Deer collisions Reply with quote

Actually, it WAS tractor/trailer drivers I was training, but the same goes for cars. You can't swerve well enough to miss them at night (just not enough space in your view), and as another person mentioned, a deer strike is a no-fault accident, but anything else goes on your record.

In the millions of miles I've driven, I have never seen a deer go through a windshield. I've heard of it happening, but in all those accidents I've assisted at, I've never seen one. And yes, I know there are some really grisly pictures circulating on the internet. The most common one was caused by a deer jumping off a bridge (red Dodge pickup).

Elk, horses, and moose are different. They are quite tall, with fairly weak legs, and they CAN ruin your day!

A deer bumper in deer country is a great idea. I see lots of them on Canadian vehicles, or trucks that spend a lot of time on back roads.

Mike

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer collisions Reply with quote

mrblanche wrote:
... A deer bumper in deer country is a great idea. I see lots of them on Canadian vehicles, or trucks that spend a lot of time on back roads.

I'm willing to buy that idea!

Well, now, the story so far: the van is back on the road. Thanks to the help of some of you terrific fans, I got a new radiator delivered last Thursday, and I installed it yesterday.

w00t!

And lemme tellya, while the Dodge Caravan is designed to be pretty easy to work on in this department, when you're dealing with peacemeal tactics -- i.e., only able to buy one part at a time and install as you can -- the times pretty much double.

Dodge placed the air conditioning condenser in front of the radiator. Naturally, it was bowed inward from the impact of the deer. It took three attempted installs of the radiator before I was satisfied I'd beaten it enough with a claw hammer to straighten it enough so it would attach and have clearance between the condenser and the rad.

The radiator also has two cooling fans. The one on the passenger side was completely destroyed. The one on the driver's side I thought I may be able to reuse to an extent. It wasn't until yesterday when I did the install that I realized I may have been in error; the fan slips into a large plastic clip on one side, a smaller metal clip underneath, and bolts to the top -- the top part that bolts on was broken in the collision. Thanks to a combination of my years repairing copiers coupled with overdosing on reruns of MythBusters I managed to do some jerry-rigging with a coat hanger and one of the old metal clips from the old rad. I'm still not 100% sure it's spinning when it has to, but I do know that the engine temperature is right around where it should be. Road tests on the local state routes and on Interstate 80 all went okay.

Now, since it uses 2 cooling fans I was dubious about letting it go with one, but I know from the last time I hit a deer last year we had the passenger-side fan out and drove about 70 miles in it okay. While Patty's doing some research on parts she ordered the replacement fan for the passenger side, and what they told her was that the left side cools the radiator and the right side cools the air conditioning ... how it does that from behind the rad I don't have a clue, but it seems that even with a potentially-faulty left fan, I'm back on the road!

I'm hoping to find the $ to order the replacement driver's-side fan, so I can replace both at the same time. I'm not sure it'll happen that way, but God does provide, that's been proved Smile

Thanks to everyone again for their support, however you provided or showed it. Still a long ways to go, but at least I'm on my way Smile

Chris
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Chris you can go without any radiator fans at all as their porpose is to draw air through the radiator when you're either stopped or going slow. As long as you keep up a decnt amount of speed enough air will go through the radiator and air conditioning condensor to cool them off. The fan also may turn on after you've parked and left it to help cool the engine down faster but it's not nesacary. So as long as you don't stop for more than a minute and keep up the speed (about 30 and up) you can go completely without fans. It also wouldn't hurt to crank up the heat on the AC either as it gets the heat from the engine coolant. You'll roast but it would help cool the engine a little when youhave to stop or slow down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: