Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knights of the sky (working title)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typhun

Location: Somerset, England - The left armpit of the universe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Knights of the sky (working title) Reply with quote

here are the character bios for my upcoming short story. any feedback you have would be nice, or if you want to argue some changes about your character. anyways, post in here and ill see what i can do. first chapter is about half a page in at the mo.
in that old-fasioned Avro of mine!

Last edited by Typhun on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little background on my character, he's from a small town where his father, a blacksmith, became the defacto mechanic and he learned automotive and farm equipment repair from the basics - most useful in the field with the squadron - he's managed to "finagle" enough blacksmith's equipment that he sends fewer aircraft back for extensive repairs - goes through a lot of cleaner getting the grease and oils out of his fur, at least on his paws and face - he only does a really thorough cleaning once a week, *G* generally on Saturday night out of long habit

This what you're looking for? Oh, and I suspect the affectionate nickname would more likely be "Cate" or "CE".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I believe that myself is a Basset Hound, maybe I said bloodhound on accident...nope, oh well it doesn't bother me.

What ever backgorund you want to use for my char is fine with me as long as I get to see it.

Typhun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will, dont worry. (lucky sods, you both aint gonna dia....)

..and ok cateagle, you can have 2 nicknames- ill call you Mev because, frankly, i like that name. and everyone else can call you Cate.

...EDIT: OR LYMAN, if im angry with ya!

Last edited by Typhun on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything looks good on my part (GRIN Razz )

alough could i plase have a mention that his (my whatever) brother is in the medical corps (it interlinks on my story.. just a mention not much)

thats all everything i think you know.

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typhun wrote:
you will, dont worry. (lucky sods, you both aint gonna dia....)

..and ok cateagle, you can have 2 nicknames- ill call you Mev because, frankly, i like that name. and everyone else can call you Cate.

That works, I've been in situations like that before. *chuckle* Like the old joke goes, I don't what you call me as long as it's not "late for dinner". Laughing Laughing Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Typhun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lols ok. not late for dinner... yeah, ok racky, ill mention your brother too. is your borother gonna serve in BOTH world wars?
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its like a joke on my own writing (in my story he is Rackys father who dies in the first world war.. i think it would be a nice tie in)

if you want il send you the part that i go into the past (just to see what i mean)

-Mike Regan-
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Typhun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, thatd be fine. post it here if you like.

NOTE TO ALL: THE BIOS HAVE BEEN MODIFIED SLIGHTLY. DOWNLAOD FROM THE ORIGINAL POST FOR THE NEW VERSION

racky raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Do not show else were..... this is about the injoke.... Reply with quote

“It was on a quite bright sunny September day of 1916 that I met your father, now that was a bleak year in general. The Somme offensive was still being fought, and how I survived it I don’t know. I was only a Sergeant then and my squad was ordered to defend a recently taken crater. The twelve of us moved out and occupied it. We were only in that crater for a few hours waiting for any action. We got it all right. A huge shell hit almost directly on top of us. We’d used to say that a shell hole was the safest place to be; well a shell never hits the same place twice right? Wrong. It hit us all right and in the confines of that place it was deadly. Only I made it out, that I thank to your father.”

September 7th 1916

“Ai Sergeant, do we really have to be here?” the ferret from Liverpool called back from his Lewis gun.

“Yes, yes we do. It’s a good sized crater, this could be used for a forward CP or listening post, and come on where else would you prefer to be?”

“Home” was all he simply said.

The ferret was right, but apart from home there really wasn’t anywhere I’d like to be, the shell hole was large enough for the twelve of us… probably large enough for the twelve of us to dance in. I was content to sit as much of the war out, and this was as good as it got on the line. The unit started to pass time.

“I hear with my little ear” this was coming from a sleepy rabbit laying on his back, “something beginning with… umm… with ‘S’

“Singing” replied a feline Corporal

“Nope”

“Shouting” he said getting tried of the game already

“Nope”

“What is it then?”

“Shell”

“What do you mean ‘Shell’? I don’t hear a shell… No wait… SHELLLL!!!!!”

The entire shell hole evaporated in a red flash. The force ripped into the furs shredding the lucky ones instantly, but leaving the others to die a bit slower but in absolute pain.

Me, I was thrown into the side of the crater and out. It was lucky for me that I was near the outside anyway. The pain was immense, all over my body stabbing aches, but none as bad as my right leg. I just lay there realising that this is it, I’m going to die and I am going to die alone.

“Bloody hell, are you ok? Ok, stupid question, but it looks like you’ll be alright.”

I slowly opened my eyes and murmured to myself.

“Hell-o, sorry about this, but my names Percy, and I will be right back for you as soon as I deal with the corporal here, ok Sergeant? He looks in a bad shape but saveable.”

He was a medic, a raccoon, never before had I ever wanted to see a medic so much.

“Al-hey Uhup” He lifted someone beside me, and fell over, from lifting something too light for the force he exerted trying. “Okaaay Sergeant, looks like you’re first after all.” He lifted me up so I could hobble along; my leg wasn’t as bad as I’d thought but I was still in agony. With my head bowed I could just make out the remains of the cat’s detached arm.

He held me up all the way across the battle scarred land towards the British lines, how he did it I don’t know, under bullets from both sides he pushed me over pulled me up helped me get back to my feet. It was hard for both of us but he got me back 500yards of mud and barbed wire it was bloody hell. Only then did I get a good look at him, he was no medic. He was a full doctor his white coat was thrown over a chair in his aid van and he was wearing khaki but he has a slightly worried look on his face.

“Umm, lets see” he started to apply bandages to my leg and face.

“Ai doctor, what are you doing here? This is the front line, you shouldn’t be here.”

“It’s lucky for you I was Sergeant, I was driving one of the less wounded men back to the front line so he could be with friends, we both saw the explosion and you being thrown out, as well as other things, and I knew I was needed. Umm… I want to get you back to the hospital as soon as possible.”

Two weeks later

“Ok Sergeant, looks like you’re ready to go back to your unit. Just watch out for the knee would you. It shouldn’t hinder you too much, however this is war, so who knows. I’ll drive you out there myself. I shouldn’t really but this way I can get some of the more stubborn injured men back, also I like to see were the action is I don’t know why but being all the way back here makes the war seem a little to far away.” He started to chuckle to himself as he led me towards his aid van.

“Do you know just how lucky you are? Or how unlucky you were? If I hadn’t seen you being thrown out of the hole you’d probably still be there.”

“So how does that make me unlucky?” I was very tired but that statement threw me totally

“Well, it was a stray shell. No other hit for days after. Your men and very nearly you as well might I add, were killed by chance.”

As we drove on the raccoon started talking to himself; muttering sometimes about a son, sometimes about the foolishness of it all, sometimes he just sat there barely seeming to breath.

I just sat in silence looking at the devastated French landscape, wondering why we were here, fighting a war that didn’t seem to be going anywhere.

“Well” he spoke up “are you a father Sergeant?”

This was totally out of the blue I didn’t quite know what to say.

“No, no Doctor I am not married, why do you ask, are you?

“Well I didn’t think I was until 3 weeks ago, I got a telegram from my wife telling me that she had our first child in August, almost a month ago she said the 19th, I wasn’t there with her I cant believe it”

He thumped the dash board with his clenched paw.

“Don’t worry Doctor I m sure we will all be home sometime soon, then you can be a family again”

It all when quiet again, I hoped I was right; I didn’t want to be here anymore either.

6 minutes later

A paw tapped me on the arm and I awake hastily.

“Here we are Sergeant, good luck and keep an eye on that knee; like I said should be alright but… tch” he shrugged with a grin “I hope we meet again just under better circumstances.” He shook me paw and walked of with a small laugh. “Again good luck” he saluted and clambered into his van.

I returned his salute and turned to walk back to the companies billet behind the lines.

By the sound the German artillery was landing close to our position, but still there was nothing that could be done. A loud, dull thud hit me from behind pushing me 5ft from my standing position. I spun and there, where Percy’s van should have been was nothing but a black, smouldering crater.

“When I reached that hole there were a few remains of the truck, and a few fragments of fur. He stood about as much chance as my men did. I owed him my life and there was nothing I could do for him. However, I can do something for you. Don’t tell anyone about this, don’t let anyone see this.” He removed his Webley from its holster and placed it in my paw.

-Mike Regan-
-Harley Quinn-
Typhun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup thats really a masterpeice in the making. makes mine kinda insignificant really..... Crying or Very sad
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT me good????Shocked nah its not up to par on the others furs work (and im sure your sellin yourself short there)

but if you want help writing im always here for you mate

-Mike Regan-
-Harley Quinn-
Typhun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers racky. i e-mailed you mine, but im not sure you got it. so ill post it here, for all the intraweb to enjoy.

Knigts Of The Sky (WT)

Chapter 1: Prelude.

Thunder?
no, that wasn't thunder. Thunder always seemed more real. more alive. more natural....
....must be the guns then.....

The truck i was traveling in hit a ruck in the road. it bounced me up into the air, so that i landed heavily the on the basset hound that was Henry, who growled his displeasure at being carted about like military surplus. my best friend, David, offered a racoonite paw and helped me back into my seat. Lyman, a.k.a Cate, was snickering in the usual coon cat way, as all senior aircraft mechanics, no matter what species, seem to do; but he shut up when i threw him a look...

Bloody promotions. Why couldn't they leave us in one squadron? Ok, it's understandable that they carted older pilots to new squadrons with there own mechanics, and, fair enough, the losses needed replacing, and, true, what was the point in having 2 officers on 1 base, But they didn't have to give such short notice, or cart us around like sacks of potatoes did they? And why couldn't it have been old Barnes who'd got this posting? He'd have relished the formation of a new squadron. As it was, he was glad i only took a few of the experienced pilots with me, and had wished me the best of luck, but i Really, Really did'nt want to be doing this.
The truck came to a stop. i looked out the flap at the back, and could see we were now outside a wrecked farm, i.e two large buildings and a rather larger shed. In the shed i could see our new aircraft. but they were not Sopwith Pups, as we had been told...

"looks like old barnes came through then. 'bout those new aircraft i mean" i said.

"what do you mean?" said Henry, joining me at the flap.

I point " we've got S.E.5's"

i heard Lyman say from the back " hmm, nice. have ta see how they work then..."

"...so are we gonna sit here or get out?" that was Dave. he didn't like confined spaces at the best of times.

We extricated ourselves from the truck, i told them all to wait there and examine the aircraft if they got bored. Making my way to the first of the large buildings, i can see that it was our new barracks, and cosy they were to, with the mess hall on the end of the building. In the second i found my office, with my name on the door, and general adminstration rooms, as well as the temporary hospital .inside my office i found the adjutant i was supposed to meet. A rabbit of about 40, he looked fairly haggard and not in the least bit worried by my presence, but he came to attention and saluted. i saluted back.

" Segeant-adjutant Wilburs, sir. ive been attached to your squadron, administrative staff, sir"

" At ease, wilburs. i know youve been attached to my squadron. are my papers here?"

"on the cabinet, Sir."

"ah, yes. thank you wilburs. see that my companions outside are billeted will you? they'll be the ones clambering over the S.E's. Dismissed"

"Yes Sir. thank you sir"

he went outside.

1 week later....

racky raccoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it seems to be coming along very well (i dont know what happened to the email you sent)

keep it up is all i can say it should turn out well my friend Smile

-Mike Regan-
-Harley Quinn-
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work and I definately want to see more of it. Very Happy Very Happy

Both of you are good writers so don't go selling yourselves short.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: