Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shud i get a ps2 now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furry_wolf2001b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: shud i get a ps2 now? Reply with quote

(Reposted from PFAD)
Talking about game consoles....

I just saw on a add on a store a ps2 fore about 100 usd.
Is that a good find? Confused

Then i saw something online today that talks about a -new- ps2 console to be releasd... (i dunno if that is old news, but it wuld explain the adds price)

Sleeker slimmer and bettter it said... Confused

So shuld i search fore an xbox, or take the stores ps2, or wait untill the new ps2 is out?

Confused Confused

Anny advice you all can give? Sad

How good is a ps2 at playing dvd movies by the way? O_o;

What furry ps2 games are there again. ^_^;

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about the new PS2 but I would guess that it's like the PSX vs the PSOne. The same technically, just in a smaller package.

Regarding if you should get that PS2, that's hard to tell. With a lot people it's a matter of personal preference. Many people don't like Microsoft so they won't get an Xbox. If that is not a problem with you, look at the games. Most games from the big 3rd party developers are available to all the consoles (Xbox, PS2 and GameCube) however, there are always games that you can only get one one of them. So you should take that in account.

Otherwise, $100 is a nice price for a PS2. If you don't mind getting a used one, try to get one on ebay. You might even get a few games thrown in.

Secondly, regarding the DVD capabilities I can say, it works, but not more. If you want to watch DVDs, better get a $50 DVD player. You'll be much happier with that.

And in the matter of Furry games, there are Sly Cooper 1 and 2, which are very well reveiced in the furry community, and they are PS2 exclusive. Aside these, I don't really know.

Hope that helped you.

Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes to picking up a Playstation2, but no to picking up the new version. The new version, whatever advantages it may have, lacks one vital component-- hard drive capacity. I don't know what sort of gamer you are but most 'power gamers' (and most who go online) have a hard drive. It drastically increases the functionality of the PS2, IMHO. And, if you don't want to shell out the cash for the HDD, I'm sure you can find SOME use for the hidden storage slot on the back. And the PS2 can play PS1 games, so you effectively have a library of over 1000 (1500?) games. Compare that to ANY other system ever created-- go on, I'll wait here. Wink

The DVD player is functional, and unlike the XBOX works without any 'required' add-ons. It is NOT the backbone of your new home theater system.

The PS2 is more than four years old, and beginning to show it's age. It's still the best system on the market (overall, not in any one category), but remember what your Sega Genesis was like back in 1995? They're pushing the system about as far as it can go. Sony and Microsoft both plan on pushing out entirely new systems sometime in FY06. I wouldn't wait that long, but I'd be doing you a disservice if I failed to mention that fact. Thankfully, the PS2 is easy to work on, so don't feel bad about opening it up and voiding the warranty in the (unlikely) event something goes wrong. I can give you a rundown on the XBOX if you request it, but ask someone else about the GameCube. I consider it a kids' system.

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
Furry_wolf2001b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i got a couple of awnsers,
And a GC review from some one else(at PFAD)
And i wuld like your take on the xbox.
(the prices arent that fare apart. i think..) Confused :-/

bonehead54321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. this is my take on all the systems. PS2 a very good system. Alot of really good games and yes some crappy ones. Realitivly cheap and now has a hard drive. The controlers are just the right size for a fursons paws and the buttons are where you need them when you need them (meaning the buttons are not to complicated.
The XBOX. Basicly... a computer you can only plug into a TV and serton compy screens. It has a few really good games some ok and some... you just want to throw of a 30th floor balcony. This is the most expencive system out right now. The controlers are.. a bit big but they are slowly fixing that. Pluse the buttons are also kinda easy. Small learning curve going from PS2 witch I have to XBOX that my friend has and soon me aswell.

OK Game Cube. This is the least expencive of the 3. It has some games...less than PS2 and Xbox but they have a higher rate of really good games to make up for it. *Star Fox adventures* <.<;;; >.>;;; the only problem I saw here...is the controler @.x... The buttons are all mixed up. major learning curve.

All in all all three systems have good graphics and two out of the three need memory cards PS2 for older games and GC..... cuz thats all you can use. I hope this helped.

Snug ya later. Very Happy

Draco

You know my spelling sucks. You should also know that I dun care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for covering the GameCube, bonehead.

And as per requested, here is Part 2. XBox. Out of the three systems mentioned the XBOX is the most powerful and the most capable. It runs a 733MHz processor and has an integral 8GB hard drive. The hard drive CAN be replaced. The system makes the most of it's processing power and has the best looking games out of all three systems. However, the game library is rather small and some of the games... well... suck ass. This is not a problem if you do your homework prior to purchase. XBOX supports four controllers compared to the PS2's two. Now, about the controllers. The original XBOX controller was excessively large, and poorly designed to boot. Microcash has since started shipping the 'Controller S' as standard equipment. (Controller S was the standard controller for all Japanese systems.)

DVDs-- the XBOX can support DVD playback. However-- you require an adapter to enable DVD playback, which fits into the port for a controller. As far as I know this is nothing but a grounding plug. Get some sheet metal and save yourself thrity bucks. The XBOX is the least portable of the three systems. It's shaped like an oversized lunchbox and weighs somewhere north of five pounds. (Anyone have a better number?) Also, any significant fall and you can pretty much kiss your hard drive goodbye. However, you don't need to cart your console around, as XBOX Live is a solid online tool that far outstrips the PS2 for functionality.

Modifications-- the XBOX has quite a few options available to it-- all of which void your warranty. (Of course, I trust a Microshaft warranty about as far as I could throw an XBOX.) The easiest is to replace the IDE cable with an 80-pin. This'll cut your (already short) load times in half. Hard drive can be replaced. Have not messed with the RAM but I'd imagine it can be replaced. There are mod chips available which totally open up the architecture of the system. No, I will not link to them here.

PS2 gets the nod for functionality and price, but the XBOX has greater horsepower and potential. It's like comparing a Honda Civic with a Dodge Charger.

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my part regarding the Xbox.

Out of the three current systems the Xbox is my favorite. However, I admid that that is mostly out of protest against everybody who is bashing on Microsoft.

(What is that Microcash thing you are talking about, Jbird?)

Firstly, the controller. I personally really don't know what everbody's problem with it is. I have no problem handing it at all. In face, it works better for me than the Controller S. Any of you guys ever took a look at the Dreamcast controller? Now, that thing was poorly designed.

And side that, the Xbox controller has the best cables ever on any controller. Not only are they a meter longer than the cables on any other first party controller, the connector a bit after the plug that goes into the Xbox means that even the most hyperactive child can't pull it out of the shelf (what happened with every other console that had been owned by my family so far.

I personally have no problem with the looks or the weight of the xbox. The US version of the SNES... now THAT was an ugly piece of hardware. However, that's a matter of opinion.

Jbird said what needed to be said about what's inside the shell, so i won't go there, except emphasizing that the HD gives it a distinct advantage over the PS2 and the GameCube.

Regarding modding, my Xbox is heavily modded. I did not care about voiding warranty in exchance for a chance if running a feww hundred emulated games on it, what is the reason why I decided to get it in the first place.

The games are a totally different matter. As I said before, many of the big 3rd party games are available on all three consoles and even if the xbox is the most powerful of them, for the most part it does not really matter on which one you play a game. Most people won't be able to tell a difference, except maybe that some controllers are less good for some games than others.

Then there of course are games that are exclusive to the three consoles and each of them is a good reason to get any of them. Examples are Halo and Crimson Skies on the Xbox, the Grant Tourismo and Sly Raccoon serieses on the PS2 and Metroid Prime on the GameCube. In such a case one has to decide for himself which one to get for it's a matter of personal preferences.

Finally I would like to say I'm very happy that I got the Xbox for it has a lot of great games and these, plus the mod provided me with hours of entertainment. I have the luck that one of my brothers got himself a PS2 so I get to enjoy PS2 games now and then as well. I also got the chance to take a close look at the GameCube and while I agree that it's controller is not very well thought out it still is a nice system. However, the only game I would want to play on it is Metroid Prime and so it's unlikely that I will ever get one.

In the end, Furry_wolf, you have to decide for yourself which of the systems you will choose. Fun is pretty much garanteed though with any of them

elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the PS2...

check this baby out!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dragonballzbudokai3/index.html?q=budokai

Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new V. of the Playstation 2 is the "SONY PStwo" (I own one). It contains the Latest version of the PS2 Mainboard, compacted down into a package 75% smaller than the original. It supports all previous prepherials, except the HDD (like anybody used that anyway) and is Network ready. Has no fan, so is completely silent, also, the vertical/horizontal drawer has been replaced with a flip lid like the original PSX. Meaning no busted motors or trouble cleaning the laser lens. Has the IR detector built in to play DVD's with the remote and now has no problem playing vertically because of a built-in disk stabilizer. Now supports all +/- DVD/CD R/RW disks too, as well as still playing original PSX games.

Buy one.....I did.

Tiny!

[EDIT]: It also houses the new Emotion Engine chipset, which improves the look of games & so has minimal lag with multiple explosions & such.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic Fox wrote:
Buy one.....I did.

Why? My brother has a fully functional normal PS2 if I should ever have the desire to play with it.

Honestly, I would be afraid to break it. Consoles are one field where I don't seen a real need for miniaturization. Of course, from the financial point of view it makes perfect sense.

Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no harm in broadening one's horizons, try the ps2, you may like it. I've tried the xbox.

And, by simplifying the PS2's contruction, makes it less vulnerable to failures, both electrical and mechanical, so don't worry about breaking it, they've thought about the clumsy & butterfingered. Wink
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic Fox wrote:
There's no harm in broadening one's horizons, try the ps2, you may like it. I've tried the xbox.

I have no horizons to broaden is this case. I have tried Xbox, PS2 and GameCube and went with the Xbox because it gave me the most out of the three choices.

Arctic Fox wrote:
And, by simplifying the PS2's contruction, makes it less vulnerable to failures, both electrical and mechanical, so don't worry about breaking it, they've thought about the clumsy & butterfingered. Wink

Miniaturization does not always equal simplification. In fact, it most cases it makes things even more complicated. Most times bigger means sturdier build.

In any case, if you are happy with that PStwo, great. I'll stick with my Xbox.

admford

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I curretly have all three major systems (XBox, GameCube, and the new PS Two). I gotta say that i'm quite impressed with what Sony did with the new console. Compared to current generation consoles, it's very small and quite robust.

The console deffinately isn't flimsy, it has a solid feel of a flat brick (though deffinately not as heavy). The plastics used are high quality and the only moveable parts are the DVD drive. I guess that because the DVD drive assembly has minimal space to support vibrations, if dropped hard or thrown it might break, but that's just a guess.

Other than that, I noticed that most of the console's weight isn't really due the electronic components. In fact, usually the heaviest part of any electronic appliance is the PSU (on this one it's entirely external). The weight of the PS2 is actually related more to metal structure of the console, so physically it's gonna be tought to actually break.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Ghost in the Machine, am I the ONLY one here familiar with the response "I hope I won't break it." when one things something is a little small?

Geez...

admford

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the PS Two is built pretty tough, alot tougher than many other consoles that i've seen too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: