Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Those Who Creates Their Own Strips...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Webcomic Portal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: To Those Who Creates Their Own Strips... Reply with quote

Mr. Green

When in doing a strip, here ate several mildstones that one has to cross to be sucessful. No major strip never was so unless they had completed these steps first...

First 50 Comics... Many dont make it this far. Especially of its done daily; thats only a month and a 1/2 of work. Of its done weekly- that's only a year's worth.

First 100... between 50 and 100, many comics die. Longetity during this point is keeping plots intact and gags ocassionally rolling. - Mind you, if done weekly, this is almost 2 years...

First 1 year... Depends on the output of the comic- daily/weekly. But lasting a year is a major milestone.

First 2 & 3 years... very few last this long. Same applies to the first 200 - 300. One has to keep the plots flowing and the gags rolling.

Good luck.

Any input, comments... share with them here. I know I will be Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Fennec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Scrolling Blackout. Reply with quote

Saying this up front: not furry. Deal with it. Smile I might find an excuse to make a subplot like that, but my plotline is pretty full for the time being.

Anyway. I don't think that this unusual format quite qualifies for the usual numeric benchmarks of 50/100/etc. For simplicity's sake, all my panels are done in 8x8 squares, scanned and shrunk to 250px square. They're then strung together in a series without any clear delineation from one strip to the next.

I do one a day (batch updates irregularly). If we assume about 3 frames equivalent to one "strip", then I should break 100 sometime June/Julyish, next year.

updated location: http://fennec.homedns.org

Last edited by Fennec on Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Elfen.. At the moment I'm trying to meet the launch
deadline, but I ran into a number of snags along the way. Doing
a web comic in CG is not as easy as one would think.
The thing is that I'll only be able to start off with monthly updates,
as time progresses and I have more sets and characters built the
churning out of strips will be more frequent, maybe a few a week
eventually. For the part-time cartoonist/ hobbyist there is no real format
that applies, but layout does play quite a role in popularity... maybe...

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that deadline- Ryan. I want to see it when its out.

To those out there- Fennec's a good bud on the K&K Forum/IRC room; though as talked about changing it the "Web Comic IRC Room" Laughing Scrolling Black out is an intersting read, a bit celebral to some, but I like it.

The Alphas is done on cheesey CG graphics- but converting the FreeHand files to Photoshop via EPS (Encapsilated Post Script)- something happens and I loose details and colours screw up. But it is a nice effect, so I kept it. Mr. Green

Thus far- the comic's been up 3 weeks (as of 7/24), wiith a total of (as of 8/12) 39 strips. Twisted Evil

Least to say, its been a tug-of-war on that chain between my muse and I.

Secondly and personally, I find it easy to create, but once done- converting them from freehand to photoshop and getting it web-ready - is time consuming (esp. waiting for the process bar to fill!)

Thumbs up to you all, keep creating. I want to see input here!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Fennec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:

Doing a web comic in CG is not as easy as one would think.

Good lord, is that avatar of yours out of your webcomic? That looks like some *serious* eye candy there.

I've tried doing some 3-D work before, mostly with Half-Life maps, and some playing around with Blender. It's amazing how hard it is to get good *textures* for certain things, even: particularly grass. I can imagine the trouble you'd run into beyond that.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fennec wrote:
Ryan Fox wrote:

Doing a web comic in CG is not as easy as one would think.

Good lord, is that avatar of yours out of your webcomic? That looks like some *serious* eye candy there.

I've tried doing some 3-D work before, mostly with Half-Life maps, and some playing around with Blender. It's amazing how hard it is to get good *textures* for certain things, even: particularly grass. I can imagine the trouble you'd run into beyond that.

Well I mentioned that I create all my maps. If you can't texture it, mesh it
And yes that is part of a picture, and an earlier attempt at finding the
appropriate rendering style ^^

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, some of us have to deal with just a coupoe of dozen handles and points to articulate our characters Mr. Green

Ryan, I envy you, but at the same time; yout some... 1-meg points to deal with- thats a reality check!

Now, where's the comic url? Twisted Evil
er

Kaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Diary of a Fox Reply with quote

Hello Elfen, Fennec, you may know me as Kaz. wait... anyway. Scripts are also a good thing to have worked out well in advance (myself, i have over twenty scripted comics, and more coming, and five complete comics) but, i still work on the site, and im not going to upload any comics until its is perfect. and there'll be a different background. till then.
Twyla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: The Menagerie Reply with quote

Hey, Elfen!

Slowly but surely making headway with trying to get my strip together, and the Elf-Man wants me to post the link in here. So guess what?

http://members.cox.net/twylafox/

Yep! You guessed it! The URL for my strip at its present location. Hoping to be allowed space here on PF for it, at which point I'll repost the new URL and try to manage an auto-redirect at the other addy.

The Menagerie basically follows along my RL life here. Being poly and bi in a house full of like-minded furries generates a lot of humorous incidents. Been getting some good reviews thus far and hope to keep meeting (or exceeding) everyone's expectations.

Who knows? I might eventually be invited to a fur con?

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoi! Be careful I've got two vixens living together under one roof. Roomies if
you will.
One's geek, nerd the other a wild animal and public relations junkie Razz

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeding right along, The Alphas is reaching its #150 Mark, with no signs of slowing down. Well... Maybe a few bumps on the road here and there (like that idiot unplugging my laptop at startbucks and its been flakey ever since! Sheesh they were lucky I did not take off a head!)

But, there is also that time of year for me when I have to get away from it all in about 45 days. What will happen then? Who knows, I dont plan day-to-day unless its really important, and even then I wont.

Anyways...
The Alphas is on strip #145 (posted dated of course, current strip is at about #84), and the next five should come up by this weekend. Then its off to #200!!!

mwalimu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Menagerie Reply with quote

Twyla wrote:
Hey, Elfen!

Slowly but surely making headway with trying to get my strip together, and the Elf-Man wants me to post the link in here. So guess what?

http://members.cox.net/twylafox/

Yep! You guessed it! The URL for my strip at its present location. Hoping to be allowed space here on PF for it, at which point I'll repost the new URL and try to manage an auto-redirect at the other addy.

The Menagerie basically follows along my RL life here. Being poly and bi in a house full of like-minded furries generates a lot of humorous incidents. Been getting some good reviews thus far and hope to keep meeting (or exceeding) everyone's expectations.

Who knows? I might eventually be invited to a fur con?

The Belfry has a different URL for this comic, one which shows a different strip, although otherwise the layout of the two sites is very similar.

http://wave.prohosting.com/twylafox/

You might consider consolidating the content of the two sites and making one a mirror of the other (or having one forward viewers to the other). I would also suggest adding links and pages for other related content, such as archives, artwork, and a feedback e-mail link.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twyla has not been around for a while, I hope she comes back. She just started the comic, I want her to finish it.
Fennec

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Speeding right along, The Alphas is reaching its #150 Mark, with no signs of slowing down.

And on that note, I posted panel #150 on my comic (see .sig below) tonight. (Only panels, though, not full-length strips.)

I'm also thinking about doing fan-art for someone who would post it with a convenient link, as I hear it's a good fan-gathering tactic. Hmm.

Scrolling Blackout:
College, life, playing tricks on the kids in the next dorm.... and that French exchange student who dresses like it's the 70s. The 1870s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Webcomic Portal All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: