Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

general error

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: general error Reply with quote

burningfox wrote:
genral error

recieved when posting to "quotes" thread in "ongoing threads" section

There was a temporary problem with the SMTP server that is now resolved.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7:36 PM EST, I got the same message (until I refreshed) - the message, was however posted, despite the error.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error involves e-mailing out to let people know that the 'watched thread' was updated, and has nthing to do with the database, where the actual posts are stored. So that's why the messages will go through.

Ricky, any dea on why the SMTP service (daemon?) keeps dying? I know you said there were "little problems" or it was firewall-related, but could you go into more detail?

Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
... Ricky, any dea on why the SMTP service (daemon?) keeps dying? I know you said there were "little problems" or it was firewall-related, but could you go into more detail?

The problems seem to have started when I changed how the mail server and associated services were logged. Previously they were logged exclusively in the standard syslog, but with the intention of better monitoring, spam and virus protection, etc., logs were also being inserted into a MySQL database.

The first few weeks seemed okay. There weren't any real problems with the SMTP server or MySQL, but it did give some insight as to how many messages the server processes, and more importantly the ability to drill down on spam, viruses, etc.

There was a problem with this new setup, however. On average, the server processes around 3500 messages per day. Around 85% and 25% of those messages were spam and viruses, respectively. MySQL was not handling this excessive load very well, and was causing itself to silently kill and restart itself. The SMTP server, though not dependant on MySQL, would usually restart due to the system load exceeding it's acceptable level (a feature to prevent the rest of the server from being overloaded by the SMTP server).

Recent (past few hours) changes have greatly improved the amount of load placed on the system, as well as the stress placed on the hard drives over the past several months (i/o levels have dropped to 1/3 since configuration has been changed). I will be looking at other improvements to help lighten the load on this server.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: