Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The lions log...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonaWolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff Anthony.

The only time you find hydraulics (other than in automatic transmissions) in any north american vehicles is for the steering and the occasional truck that uses hydraulic pressure to provide brake assist instead of vacuum from the engine as most other vehicles do. I guess the market calls for different vehicles and designs over here.

I've worked on very few european designed vehicles (a few BMW's, some Volkswagens, a Renault, and a couple of Saab's) and have little experience with them since they are not that popular in these parts. The way those cars are put together is quite different from what I'm used to. Not 'bad' or 'wrong' just different. Some of the design differences are interesting while others are just plain confusing. The Saab 99 a friend used to own really had me scratching my head the last time I worked on it. Strange piece of engineering that vehicle was.

Quote:
I'd go for cheaper, because even when they make them simpler, they never become cheaper...

Good point. But I still like simple Very Happy

My Stories - LJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the only time, Jona. If I remember correctly, the Continental Mk. VII had something like that, but not as reliable. The friend who had one traded it in on a slightly used large Mercedes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonaWolf wrote:
I've worked on very few european designed vehicles (a few BMW's, some Volkswagens, a Renault, and a couple of Saab's)

I consider BMW as crap...
Why?
Most of them have very poor recharge, often well below 14V, so the battery is ruined within a few years...
(It is such a simple thing to fix, so why do they still have the problem?)

As for American cars...
I've been told that the first thing the importers do is to replace the shocks as they're way too soft.

Renault?
Well... After helping my brother replacing the gearbox in one of his, TWICE, I'm pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was...
(Once we even rebuilt one good from two busted ones...)

He's got an American car, too, but he haven't managed to break it yet...
(A 1944 model GMC 6WD military truck)

Anyway...
The news on my car is that the HP pump is working, it was a problem with the suction from the oil reservoir(It somehow sucked air instead of oil)
This means I only have to mortgage my soul to pay for the repair, not sell it outright...
And no, I won't be able to afford replacing the old CD-changer this month.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe it?

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

A SWEDISH car that does 0 - 100Kmh(60Mph) in 3.2 seconds...
And with a top speed of 395Kmh it makes a Lamborghini look like a speedbump...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
JonaWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
I wouldn't say the only time, Jona. If I remember correctly, the Continental Mk. VII had something like that, but not as reliable. The friend who had one traded it in on a slightly used large Mercedes.

You could be right there. I think that that vehicle used a compressed air system instead of a hydraulic system, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't worked on one of those cars in several years but I do know that there are several other Lincoln models that use a pneumatic system with an air compressor in the engine compartment that is used to adjust ride height and stiffness on the rear wheels.

Anthony wrote:
As for American cars...
I've been told that the first thing the importers do is to replace the shocks as they're way too soft.

True enough. If you're lucky, original equipment struts and/or shocks on american vehicles might last 80,000km

Anthony wrote:
Anyway...
The news on my car is that the HP pump is working, it was a problem with the suction from the oil reservoir(It somehow sucked air instead of oil)
This means I only have to mortgage my soul to pay for the repair, not sell it outright...
And no, I won't be able to afford replacing the old CD-changer this month.

Good to hear that they got your car back on the road without breaking the bank.

Anthony wrote:
Would you believe it?

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

A SWEDISH car that does 0 - 100Kmh(60Mph) in 3.2 seconds...
And with a top speed of 395Kmh it makes a Lamborghini look like a speedbump...

*evil grin* I want one. That car sounds like too much fun Twisted Evil

My Stories - LJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wonders never cease?

Today I decided to rescue the CD's trapped in the CD-Changer, and set to it with screwdrivers and a hammer...
Then...
That doesn't look right, does it?
Somehow one of the metal ieces in the mechanism didn't look 'right', and an examination showed that it was slightly bent.
A bit of banging, some tweaking and a few minutes later, not only had I rescued my priced (well, pretty price' ) CD's, but the CD-Changer worked again, as well!

It still makes a few ugly 'Ca-chunk' and 'Klack' noises when it changes from one CD to another, but I can live with that a few months...

Having beaten THAT particular piece of evil machinery, I went on to refill the window-ceaning fluid, all three tanks of it. (for the headlights, windscreen and rear)
Then it occured to me that most cars are badly designed on this point.
They all have the nozzles placed somewhere on the hood, far away from the windshield, whilst my car have them on the viper arm itself.

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard something funny on the radio today...

Some joker who moved to Gibraltar(a tax haven) sent the local IRS office a postcard with 'Ędda będda!'(A very childish tease)

No, they were NOT amused...

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a univeral rule that it must rain during funerals?

Yeah, that's why I wasn't on the net yesterday.
I was in my aunt's funeral.
(As one of the six who carried the coffin, in fact)

Why I didn't mention anything before?

Yeah, the rambling about the car and CD-Changer(even if it's true) was my way of coping(by not coping).

Oh, and sorry about waiting so long with updating today(it's 15:30 here), but I got home about 00:45 tonight, after a 250Km drive.

Like my Avatar?
Shirapusen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am sleepwalking now. There has been 2 nights that I have been travling by train, and sleeping is not what you do best.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone played the Starfox Adventures(On GameCube, possibly others too)?

Crystal is HOT!

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal is still hot, but now encased in a big crystal...

Fox McCloud is NOT as hot, and that Arwing fighter of his is a really weird piece of kit. (I'm having serious problems with the 'Arcade' parts of the game, so I'm waiting for a copy of Starfox for the N64 to practice on)

Oh, and I finished Grandia on saturday(Awesome RPG on Sony PS)
Loads of Anime cut-scenes and a sneaking suspicion that the developers were Warhammer 40000 fans...

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal is out of the crystal, but Fox is still in trouble as he now has to battle Andross in a multi-stage boss-fight....
(I REALLY hate those arcade sequences...)

The CD-changer in my car is now just a very intricate doorstop and I'm considering whether or not to buy a new one.
The old was a Pioneer CDX-P22, and for those who think Pioneer is crap; this one has survived a heckof a lot of abuse since I bought it in 1996...

Luckily, it's a 'P-Series', not an 'M-Series' system, so it's still possible to get a new changer that will work with the stereo.

but...
A new one will cost me about $250.
For the same amount I could buy a more modern player which accepts a single CD(with up to 10Hours of MP3).
The only problem with that is that my only CD-Burner is in my OS/2 rig, and I don't have ripping software for it. (Dual-booting into Winfault is NOT an option)
I'm not worried about the sound quality as this is in my car, not a sound-studio...
(I'm using the factory-mounted speakers...)

*Sigh*

Choices...

Tried Zelda the WindWaker last night...
Somehow I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics.
(May be because Starfox Adventures is stunning)
The bonus is that there's an extra disc with two versions of Ocarina of Time; the original, and a remixed version 'Masters Quest'.

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled past Lik-sang.com on saturday...

Guess what I found...

A 'memorycard' for the GC which uses SD memory sticks.
(Those fiddly bits used in some digital cameras and PDAs)
I don't particularly like the SD format, but...

They also have something they call a 'DexDrive' for the N64 and PS which enables you to transfer the saves to your PC.
(I only ordered the PS model.)

I even picked up an extra VMU for the DC.

With all the good stuff there I completely forgot to order the N64 adapter to play Japanese games, though...

Like my Avatar?
Gabriel

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with a N64 'adapter'? Just pop the case open and dremel the two "tabs" on the cartridge slot away... that's basically all that's stopping you from playing Japanese carts. It's not "region locked" like some consoles, Nintendo just went for a hardware fix.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about that 'fix' in a FAQ somewhere, but...

I can't see any difference between JAP and EUR marked game cartridges, and without seeing the difference I won't dig out my Dremel...

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> anthony All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: