Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The lions log...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
And WELCOME Shirapusen.

If Anthony is a lion then I imagine you are a lioness?

I very much doubt that...
Shira is the name of her cat, and also the name of a princess in a book series...
'pusen' means something along the lines of 'kitten' in Norwegian.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Shirapusen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right. I am a cat. A cat that wishes she had been better in English.

The lioness is a powerful cat, but she must feed the male, so I am a cat. Smaller, and a lot more smarter.

My cat got her name from the princess.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I finally managed to get listed on Mia's index...

That's at http://furry.de/miavir/stories/index.html for those that doesn't know...

I'll even forgive them for messing up the 'Everyday' entry...

I am considering complaining abut the 'Needs spellchecking' note on 'Sailing on a Different Sea'. I asked for the 'Spelling' keyword!

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that a new story is up...

Title is 'Homecoming' and it's the piece I had a poll about a short while ago...

It's not a 'rosy red' 'lived happily ever after' piece, but at least there's hope...

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went by the hospital today for a few x-rays...
(The doctor thought I had too little lung capacity, and wanted to make certain it was 'just' easy living and good food Smile

I entered at 08:40, and was out again 08:49, and then I even managed to chat with the operator...
Gotta love those all-digital machines...

What did it cost me?
about 15$ and a few minutes.

I'm a bit worried about what the doctor will prescribe, though...
(Probably 'more exercise and healthier food')

But the blood pressure and cholesterol is OK.
(But as a blood donor, I already knew that Smile

Like my Avatar?
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Novermber 26 I'll turn 51. bunch of "young whippersnappers" around here. Laughing

Cateagle

...and ten days from now I become 38 years old...

Kinsfire

the dark ferret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just celebrated my 35th last month, with a pretty French lady on my arm... Wink (Hey, Anthony, did I tell you she knows Shitatzu Massage and loves wearing mini-dresses? No? My bad! Twisted Evil )

Anyway, moving on, I thought I'd share my opinion of Anthony's last three updates in an effort to bring a little discussion to this discussion forum. Now, before I get labled a Troll or worse, let me state upfront that I am both a fan of United Earth Chronicles, and a frequent email friend of Anthony's, and have even been recruited to do a little editing for him. The first two of these reviews were solicited from me by him, the third is just a bonus. Here we go:

UE3 wasn’t your best effort. Not your worst, but certainly not your best. Let’s start with Dara, since it’s the oldest. I think you already know the problem with Dara: it’s formulamatic. You’ve already told this story, you titled it Broken Fang. The wolf that Anthony was hunting was obviously female, even before it was revealed in the story, and, I, personally, had her pegged as an underage concubine that was probably won by the captain or some officer in a game of chance. I see I wasn’t very far off the mark. It was just a tad too obvious where the story was going. Then the same old thing: what do we do with her? We can’t put her in a camp, she’ll be raped, or worse, same as with Rrsh’Dhana. Can’t let her go free, she’ll be hunted down and killed, and she’s proven she’s not very good at surviving on her own. So, obviously, you had something else in mind. Big surprise when it was Henri who took an interest in her…

So that takes us to Everyday, the better of the two stories. THIS one, I enjoyed, although large parts of it were an echo of Broken Fang too. At least it had enough of an original twist to make it entertaining. You craft some interesting characters, and seeing what motivates them and how they act in a given situation is rather intriguing. A little bit of Dara’s behavior was sketchy, IMO, but then, she’s a broken soul, so I suppose you have to give damaged goods time to settle. On the whole, Everyday was a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.

Homecoming. Hmmmm, not your best effort. For starters, it was hard to get a grip of where the story was taking place. Maybe you intended it to be that way, but, frankly, I found it annoying. You also managed to violate your own self-endorsed rule of identifying your characters clearly to the reader without a need for biographies. I didn’t get a grip on Arramak until the end of the tale. Again, you may have wanted that sense of mystery, but, again, for me it was annoying. The plot was virtually non-existent when it was all said and done. Man goes to war, brothers throw out his mate and take over the house, brother angry upon return, takes revenge. How many times have I seen that one? Oddly enough, I can see what you wanted in the ending: Man upset his wife turned prostitute, but still desires her, thus conflict. But the ending leaves the reader wondering what happens next. Which is fine either way, whether you intend to sequel it or not, but, if not, people are probably going to complain more loudly.

Of the three, Homecoming satisfied me the least. Dara, for all of its obviously formulamatic flaws, was still caringly written and well crafted. Entertaining to read if not outstandingly original. Everyday was better, but the story was carried more by the character studies than the actual plot. The best of the three, I say, and written in a style that you seem to exceed at. I look forward to more from you in the genre, it is, I think, your forte. At least, you have an obvious gift for it. Homecoming? Well, you know the old saw: if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again!

I have a VCL ARCHIVE!

Last edited by the dark ferret on Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can I say?

I did a bit of a number on one of his stories, and I've told him to take the gloves off when commenting my writing...

What I really hate, though, is that a lot of it actually makes sense...

*Sigh*

Like my Avatar?
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ok your stories may not be the most original, so what ?

I enjoyed reading them. Smile

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Remember, when the original Star Wars was released the first wave of critics proclaimed it the most boring piece of crap they were ever subjected to.

They were ahead of their time, or possibly, the review fell through a timewarp...
That comment fits REALLY well with SW1...

As for comments on my writings; at the moment I'm happy for ANY feedback, good or bad(though I'm partial to shameless flattery) Smile

Like my Avatar?
the dark ferret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
They said it was going to be the most monumental failure in movie history and nothing more than an old western movie set in space. The rest of us liked it.

I liked it to. But it's not exactly an old western movie set in space, (although it's that, too), it's the classic story of the hero. If you've ever read ANYTHING by Joseph Campbell, or, SPECIFICALLY "The Hero With A Thousand Faces", you'll see that the most original thing Lucas did was set his story in space.

A story doesn't have to be original to be engaging, far from it, in fact. Anthony's tales, except for Homecoming, IMO, are, as I said, lovingly crafted and well written. But I know for a fact that he can write much better than he's been doing so lately. One only has to look as far as "Broken Fang" and "Rrsh'Dahana's Diary" to see that. My original email to him upon completion of "The United Earth Chronicles" was filled with nothing but praise. But since then, again, IMO, the quality of his work has suffered.

I tuned in for the original thinking, but I'll stay for the craftsmanship.

I have a VCL ARCHIVE!
Bearion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

I'll jump in here and give my thumbs up for your stories.

As I stated elsewhere I liked your last story Homecoming, and I wanted to know more about the main character. In fact, it would make a great 1st chapter to a 2+ chapter story where the characters are fleshed out, their demons faced, and a world begins to heal. I repeat: This story has legs as a view into a very different culture trying to rebuild itself while coming to grips with a proud race being concurred.

All of your stories are very entertaining. Even (tho you don't like it) Sailing on a different sea, which I thought was OK. Certainly not bad.

Good luck, and stay healthy!

Bearion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: AAARGH!!!! Reply with quote

The clock shows almost midnight here, and I just ripped open a server...

I'm TRYING very hard to upgrade an old Compaq Proliant 1600 server with new disks and a nice Raid 5 controller.

I dare ANYONE to find Windows NT4.0 drivers for a Compaq Smart Array 431 Controller ANYWHERE on their website....

Yes, they are there, but you can't find them by searching.

Installed 431 drivers in NT...
I booted the server into DOS and loaded the network drivers. OK
Copied the partitions from the old 9.1GB disk as files to another server - OK (took 1.5Hours)
Removed old 9.1GB(Wide Ultra SCSI2, 10.000Rpm) and inserted 3 x 18.2GB disks(Wide Ultra SCSI3, 10.000Rpm) - OK
Inserted 431 card and moved the drive cage cable to new controller - OK
Booted on floppy again. - OK
Copied the partitions back - OK. (1.45Hours because of resizing)

Rebooted....

Blue screen of death...

Tossed in NT Sever install CD and rebooted...
Asks for support diskette with driver which I insert.
Setup allows me to select the 431 controller and loads the driver...
Tells me that it can't find any drives!

Then HOW the H**K did it manage to start booting earlier?

Now I'm going home for a cup of tea and bed!

Oh, darn...
I forgot, I have to stop by a gas station and buy a bread for breakfast tomorrow(or is it today already?)

It's nights like these I seriously consider starting as a paperboy like my brother....
We work the same shifts, you get fresh air, and it seems he earns a lot more than me...

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be....

That ferret looks like he's got his act together...
Twisted Evil

Like my Avatar?
the dark ferret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Hey dark ferret!

Did you get a cameo in Freefall?

http://www.purrsia.com/freefall/

Check the center panel for the October 11th. strip.

Very good!

You see, Anthony? Fame and noteriety isn't all that hard to come across. Look at me, I don't have a website and I have virtually nothing published anywhere, and yet Mike Regan noticed me right off! I can't imagine what your problem is...

Not only is that a cameo of me, but it was a cameo that was requested of me by the man himself: Mark Stanley! WinkVery HappyVery Happy

I have a VCL ARCHIVE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> anthony All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: