Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Story Spoiler(s)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Story Spoiler(s) Reply with quote

Considering from what I've read of "Sabrina The Online Story" and of Tabitha, along with the discussions of this forum, I would have to conclude that The rest of Tabitha is going to be semi predictable.

It would be a major mistake on the writer(s) part to intertwine the events from 2 sepearate stories. But what's been done is done and cant be unchanged. The question remains, when one story ends, will the other continue until its conclusion? Or are both at a point where one can not end without the other? Or can both end and both continue as a third series? Thats to be left to the writer(s) themselves.

I'm not poking at the stories, per say- they are wonderful stories. I'm just stating- that by some accident, both have become one; like a set of (bad) twins, too predictable... if you observe them long enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything becomes predictable if you watch it long enough Wink
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Everything becomes predictable if you watch it long enough Wink

So, if I were to sit on the moon and look down at the earth long enough................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
TVDAVE
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hi Elfen Im going to go out on a limb on this one , with my guess! on the stories , I feel sooner or later, and who knows when, the stories have to come together, for a chapter or 2 or 3 , and go off on their seprate ways, but who knows what Chris and James have up their sleeves
but its fun to watch Wink lol be patient it will all come together

Last one alive gets a box of Jello Arrow

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVDAVE wrote:
Laughing Hi Elfen Im going to go out on a limb on this one , with my guess! on the stories , I feel sooner or later, and who knows when, the stories have to come together, for a chapter or 2 or 3 , and go off on their seprate ways, but who knows what Chris and James have up their sleeves

That maybe true, but "we" remember something that was said sometime last summer that Chris stated; "SOLtS" will be modified in order to reflect the changes of events that will be created by "Tabitha", so that both stories coincide.

Secondly Chris and his partner are writing "SOLtS" faster than they are writing "Tabitha". Posisbly to make sure that the events do coincide.

Lastly- "SOLtS" is a few or even several chapters ahead of "Tabitha":

From thread: Time And Time Again
Mike Regan wrote:
Tabitha's original mission may now be invalid.

Consider, original history Sabrina has endometriosis and is only able to have one child in that branch. By curing the endometriosis Tabby has already changed the course of Sabrina's future.
<!--SNIP!>

In "Tabitha", They have yet to meet, but in "SOLtS", they have already interacted serval times.

Until Tabitha catches up with SOLtS, the only things remains are Tabitha's point of view, and her interactions in detail.

The only mystery remains is whether or not Tabitha returns to her time, if she can return, what condiction her condiction will be and what the future lies....

Aye.... There's the rub.

Take care all, be safe, have fun... I'll be in the shadows...
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
TVDAVE wrote:

That maybe true, but "we" remember something that was said sometime last summer that Chris stated; "SOLtS" will be modified in order to reflect the changes of events that will be created by "Tabitha", so that both stories coincide.

Secondly Chris and his partner are writing "SOLtS" faster than they are writing "Tabitha". Posisbly to make sure that the events do coincide.

Lastly- "SOLtS" is a few or even several chapters ahead of "Tabitha":

From thread: Time And Time Again
Mike Regan wrote:
Tabitha's original mission may now be invalid.

Consider, original history Sabrina has endometriosis and is only able to have one child in that branch. By curing the endometriosis Tabby has already changed the course of Sabrina's future.
<!--SNIP!>

In "Tabitha", They have yet to meet, but in "SOLtS", they have already interacted serval times.

Until Tabitha catches up with SOLtS, the only things remains are Tabitha's point of view, and her interactions in detail.

The only mystery remains is whether or not Tabitha returns to her time, if she can return, what condiction her condiction will be and what the future lies....

Aye.... There's the rub.

Take care all, be safe, have fun... I'll be in the shadows...

We're givin' you guys waaaay too much time between chapters! Smile

Just a couple of quick things:

I never said I'd modify "Sabrina the Story"! What's there is there. Yes, you will indeed see the occasional crossover; you have already and may again. But I won't go back and change what's already there!

The Stories actually will never coincide. They're their own separate entities.

And "Sabrina the Story" is all miiiiine! I've had some help with a chapter or idea here or there, but what you read is all me Smile

Oh, and Elfen? Glad you're enjoying The Stories! But in my world, *nothing* is predictable! Wink

My best to yunz!
Chris
http://chrisfoxx.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:

*Grin* I agree! More story, more story! Pleeeease... Wink

Oh, and Elfen Furry, a quick question, if you please...

If "Everything becomes predictable if you watch it long enough" (Tygon's words, not yours, I know, but they're implied by your own), how do you account for chaos theory? Granted, I am but a dilletante dabbler in the field, but if I follow the (very broad) outlines correctly, the cornerstone of the field is that in any moderately complex system, prediction quickly becomes more involved than any known method can encompass. (To put it in terms I feel more comfortable with, it becomes simpler, and more realistic, to wait and see, since by the time eventss get predicted, they're actually in the past...)

Seems to me that Chris's writing (along with the other authors here) is a shining example of this principle: everything that's been writen is perfectly consistant (well, with the exception of my own technical errors - *blush*), yet there's no way I could have predicted them except in broadest outline before I read them. There's just too many options available.

Exempli gratis: we all "know" (though do we really?) that, at some point, Chris and Sabrina will get married. Would you care to hazard a hypothesis as to when? Either the in-story date, or the chapter number? How about providing details? What will be the key details of the sequence? You know, the little anecdotes which will define the passages - the stories which will become those memories that they'll carry into the future with them. Who will be on the guest list? (Eric, almost certainly. The Clique, even more likely. Sabrina's family - the only way I can see them not being there is if they're dead. But how about some of the others? Josh, Clarence, and Lee? How about Blue?)

(And no, I'm not asking for "advance screening", or even a timeline. I like the surprises in the story - though the death scene in "Tabitha" was emotionally wracking. I'd rather not have to see another event of that nature. Still, it's some powerful writing, and I'd not have it "unhappen", despite the turmoil.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:

Galadrion wrote:
*Grin* I agree! More story, more story! Pleeeease... Wink
Oh, and Elfen Furry, a quick question, if you please...

I cant agree with the first two statements any more. Smile

As for the question, but first a little history (sad soft violin plays in the background).

Until certain personal tragic events occurred in my life that would have put a dizzying spin onto it over 20 years ago, I was a PreMed Major at my local "City University," very heavy on the sciences despite my inability to pass Calc 200...

One of a set of courses that I took, despite my conselor's advisment, was the Physics 330 series, which included Phy335: Physics of Science Fiction. If you are in New York City during the Spring Semester- I advise everyone to take it! Dr. Michio Kaku teaches it, and he teaches it in such a way- you either pass with a perfect A or an F. Unfortunately for my class I was the only one to get an A that semester. The trick is not to go into that class with social, political or pre-concieved notions of this, that or how things are supposed to be. For some reason- my class was full of these things...

The Lab for the class was Smile fun. Experiements from Time Travel, to Teleportation, even the question of God's existance was put to the test. Conclusion: all things are possible when technology allows it; except for time travel- then technology and time itself must allow it. Under Wheeler's Theorim, where time is like a (this is a very loose analogy) a super large infinate stack of pancakes, with each layer and the space inbetween layers being a time line... time travel is possible, but where you land on the "layers" remains to be see, and who knows if you're able to get back.

Until my tragedy twenty years ago. Dr. Kaku wanted me to be his protoge' because I was able to undertand the advanced workings of the sciences back then. I still wanted to be a medical doctor. Then tradegy struck, and I spend the following years piecing everything I had back together. Remember- that was for me over 20 years ago. Since then, the class is still being taught, but Dr. Kaku has yet to offer the protoge' position to anyone else.

Currently I teach computers at a Jr. High School, and have started several community computer centers through out the city. And to think I started with computers in 1980 as a means to stop chucking quarters into the arcade machines... Smile

Now for the question:
The one thing about Chaos Theory that everyone ignores is Order. Without it- there would be no Choas. Order predefines where Choas will be; like a fence around a school yard where the actions within is Choas. Order also states what kind of actions are allowed within the confines of its borders; like the kids interaction inside the school yard and when.... RECESS!!!!!

In Time/Space, there are too many variables to count to make definate predictions. But under observation, if we were to rip apart the two stories and rake them with fine tooth combs, we could get aproximate "dates" for various events.

The Accident happens on a certain date, where her son was of a certain age, which subtracted gives an aproximate birth day and year for the chld. Marriage should have occurred before then (morally speaking), as is Chris and Sabrina living together for a while. So, to conclude this, I would speculate that they would get married within chapters 50 - 55 (60 the latest) and the child being born soon after. Thanks to Tabitha's interaction, Sabrina may have more children.

Details about the wedding- I'm not going to touch that one. But the accident and death; in Science Fiction Law concerning Time Travel- if one travels back in time to save the life of another, somebody else must die in their place. Most of the time- its the traveller, but not always. Replacement suspects include: Adult-Tabitha, Child Tabitha, Chris Foxx, any member of the Clique, Thomas or Amy, ZigZag, friends or staff of ZZ Productions, either of Tab/Sab's parents or anyone that Adult Tabitha has gotten close with during her time travel experience. But its always somebody that has had some sigificant course in the story's direction.

As part of the Brunner Effect, if Tabitha realizes this- that someone must die in Sabrina's place, then who is that person going to be? Because of her actions, that someone else must die- she is liable for murder- whether it be voluntary or not. Thats for the time-traveling police and appeals court to decide.

But as a butterfly sneezing, causing the pollen to dispate faster, pollenating near by flowers, creating seeds that grows into plants who take advantage of this planet's early greenhouse environmental stage, which feeds more wildlife and expands the jungle, which forces mankind to be more resourceful and less polluting of his world- I want to meet that butterfly and shake its little paw and say Thanks... As insignificant as it maybe, it was a major part of the way things were to be.

Hence the problem.
Chaos goes hand in hand with Order.
Certain events are predictable if observed, but as to when they occur is a mystery.
Exact events are not predictable, nor are details of predictable events.
There are too many varibles to account for, making much of this "science" into nonsense.

So...
If I were given to change to run into a created time portal, like Tabitha did, I think I would hesitate a lot longer than she did. Then I would run into it...

Lets see where Chris takes us with both stories... and will he stay or break the Time Travel Law about life and death. Until then, it will be very interesting to see where it goes.

E. Poe's Raven wrote:
Nevermore...
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kaku still teaches that class after 20 years? Definitely a love of the subject.

I am reminded of a story my wife tells about a panel at a science fiction convention, where a physicist stated that, under his current understand of quantum physics, faster than light travel was impossible, but time travel was absolutely necessary to fulfill certain requirements. Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances of hers, she hasn't the slightest grasp of higher mathematics. (Her words.)

I know Quantum Leap fell prey to that "Law" in the second part of a two parter (he leapt into himself as a teenager in part one), where to save his brother, a reporter had to die. However, I can recall a HUGE number of episodes where he was saving someone's life, and no one died in that person's place.

I think we have to ask - are we working under the Everett theorem, or the single world theory? If Everett, then there are a huge number of stories that come to mind. If single world, well, let me get back to you on that...

Another question - do you happen to be a member of the Kevin and Kell list under a similar name, by any chance?

Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I don't happen to buy into the theory that the number of deaths remains constant (unless you extend it into the really long term, when it asymptotically approaches one per sophont). Rather, I subscribe to Spider Robinson's Law of Conservation of Pain and Pleasure: pain and pleasure, like mass and energy, can be neither created nor destroyed - but they can be converted one into the other. Under that theorem, Sabrina's death could be put off, likely even to a time when she would die of natural causes, without the necessity of another fur's death in her place. The outcome would be the transmutation of a large quantity of grief into an equally large measure of happiness - *grin* and that would apply equally well in this world as in their own.

And one other quick contradiction: you stated
Elfen_Furry wrote:
As part of the Brunner Effect, if Tabitha realizes this- that someone must die in Sabrina's place, then who is that person going to be? Because of her actions, that someone else must die- she is liable for murder- whether it be voluntary or not. Thats for the time-traveling police and appeals court to decide.

Erm. An awful lot of foreshadowing and internal dialogue seemed to indicate that Tabitha was prepared (and preparing) to lay down her own life in exchange for her sisters - that's not murder; that's suicide. If you care to view it in that light, anyway. (And if you do, I've got some more disagreement there - this is akin to accusing rescue workers and any other person who risks his or her life for another of attempted suicide. Heroism is not the same as suicide.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ladies and gents, if it'll help ... and it probably won't ... Chapter 10 is nearly done!

I've got my part done (at least I think I do), and I emailed it to James for his work to be added. If all goes well, you should see it soon!

Give your brains a rest, it's almost Anthrocon time! Smile

And if you're attending, let me know how good it was!

All the best to you!
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: I'm a little slow... I just picked up on this... Reply with quote

From the blurb on the main Forum Index wrote:
We have had some very deep discussions about this story in the past. Wink

Looks like they're starting up again... which is all to the good.

Good news about the story, too, Chris. I'll be looking forward to it - though if James takes longer than a week to do his part, I'll be reading it after I get back. I'm not sure what kind of internet access I'll have on the road, but I expect it to be sporadic.

I'm sorry I won't get a chance to meet you this time around. I was hoping to finally get an opportunity to shake your hand, and offer you my thanks - well, the handshake will have to wait, but you have the gratitude now. Hopefully next year...
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a little slow... I just picked up on this... Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
From the blurb on the main Forum Index wrote:
We have had some very deep discussions about this story in the past. Wink

Looks like they're starting up again... which is all to the good.

I have to admit, I'm amazed at the level of discussions that "Tabitha" has incited! I don't think people discuss "Star Trek" to this level! Smile

Galadrion wrote:
Good news about the story, too, Chris. I'll be looking forward to it - though if James takes longer than a week to do his part, I'll be reading it after I get back. I'm not sure what kind of internet access I'll have on the road, but I expect it to be sporadic.

One never knows with James. I did instill into him a sense of urgency (even though it's been, geez, how many months now since Chapter 9 went live??). But even then it has to go past Eric Schwartz, who is currently getting ready to go to Anthrocon, as is James, so personally I think it'll be a post-AC update. Dammit.

Galadrion wrote:
I'm sorry I won't get a chance to meet you this time around. I was hoping to finally get an opportunity to shake your hand, and offer you my thanks - well, the handshake will have to wait, but you have the gratitude now. Hopefully next year...

Thank you Smile I wish to heck I could be there, but finances (or the lack thereof) make it impossible. Yeah, maybe next year, one can only dream ...

Chris
TVDAVE
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Ok here's a What if, I like to do that over in Jame's Fourm.

We know Tabitha go's back to the wrong time , before Sabrina and Chris
hook up , and she has the thought, maybe she is to save her father (Sarge), and when the infamous Chapter 6 pops up he has since passed away , and since some one has to die, why cant she use him in some way to save her sister , or can she forstall his death , or save him alltogather , it could give her the ripple in time she needs to save her sister, but not enough to cause a paradox , and what possessed sabrina to go out on that day, at that time , and where was she comming from ? Wink

Tell you all what, since there are a bunch of us who cant go to the AC, let's all go over to Chris's house, Surprised

ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVDAVE wrote:
:
We know Tabitha go's back to the wrong time , before Sabrina and Chris
hook up

[insert loud game show buzzer here]

Incorrect! Chris and Sabrina *have* hooked up! They're dating and everything! Smile

TVDAVE wrote:
... and what possessed sabrina to go out on that day, at that time , and where was she comming from ? Wink

She was working on her Masters Degree at Grove City College. When the weather turned bad she started heading for home (Grove City College in Grove City, PA, is roughly 15 miles from Eau Claire), and as we all know, sadyly, didn't make it.

TVDAVE wrote:
:Tell you all what, since there are a bunch of us who cant go to the AC, let's all go over to Chris's house, Surprised

Bring a covered dish! Smile

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: