Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Brunner Effect...(?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
Hey, Fishburne! Interested in directions for converting a Tesla coil into a rail gun? Or maybe an EMP generator? Scalable down to holdout pistol size, but the range suffers...

yes please.

We have the tools, we have the talent!

and, we have a nice light wine spritzer for beverage service today.

Flights of Fancy, Flight 007, now departing track nine.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even though the laws of physics can not be scaled up or down; the problem is having a safe and containable power supply. Something the power of a few kilo-tons of tnt or 1/2 a megawatt of free flowing electrons...

And here I am thinking; Light Sabres... plasma Mig welding Torch... Light Sabres.... plasma Mig welding Torch... hmmmm....

Well, Tesla coils allow one to create SCALAR energy. meaning a few volts in, a lotta volts out. as long as one has a way to transmit the energy. hence, a Tesla receiver. take a look at Tesla in 1931. Driving an electric car, with no batteries or other supporting power producing apparatus, other than a simple antennae. SUPPOSEDLY the car was a Tesla Receiver, and he was transmitting enough power over distance to operate it. Interesting idea.

So, lets see. If we make a rail gun from a Tesla receiver, and use a capacitor to hold the charge, theoretically we should be able to fire at least one shot. more than that...maybe. I think that the wiring or casing would end up being fried by the release from the capacitor.

Whatcha think?

Fish, the other wet meat.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Call me a sick puppy for actually sitting down and figuring it out...

Ok, you are a sick puppy, but, I like it.

Quote:
Something along the size of a S&W .45cal long nose variant and better range than some US Army Missles can be achieved with the right tools:

Along the muzzle, you'd need an increasing denisty coil (like that of a FireStick Antenea, if you're into cb or ham radio, you'd know what I mean...).

The next problem would be the electronic strobe circuit to force the coil to make a 1/2 ton magnetic pull for .01 seconds- just enough to pull the "rail" through the muzzle, and accellerate it to near sonic speeds, I hope. If not- it will blow up in your hands, and the last thing you want is a storage box of tiny rails running towards a 1/2-ton pull magnet in your hands!

Something tells me that a lot more than just someone's feelings will be hurt if this were to ever happen...

Can you image- a tiny nail, at 760mph or better? Can you image- a bunch of tiny nails, at 760mph or better... going for hand holding the magnet?

I think that perhaps we should try something a little larger, say an M14 or something along those lines. nice heavy barrel, easily available, and not as many moving parts. plenty of stock space for "nifty space age goombobbies" and a nice long barrel to create a density coil. Best of all, we can use it as a SINGLE shot device. no need to worry about lots of nails, we just need to worry about one. If it works, we can alter it to become a rapid fire weapon, and it would still be legal, as no change would have to take place with the trigger mechanism. We would just set the gate for the capacitor to release as it reaches a certain level. BUT FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, I NEED Dr. Moray's design.

A simple Tesla setup would work, but I think that we would not get a repeat rate of one per minute. not a very fast rate of fire.
With Moray, we could draw 50kvolts every few moments, unless we go to total failure mode.

Fish. working harder on trivial mental exercises so you don't have to....

Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I never managed to get the rail gun down below the M14 size - and the barrel was about 2 inches in diameter. 'D' cells actually made a pretty good ammo core...

The pistol-sized device I was talking about was a small EMP generator - worked pretty well on electronics out to about 50 meters. But it's not designed to fire solid ammunition. (Okay, it doesn't generate "real" electromagnetic pulses - but it does the same job to electronics, on a much more localized, and thus controllable, scale.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you guys can't be serious. Rail guns? EMP generators? This is stuff that I only read about in HS. You guys can't be building these in your basements? Can you? If you are, then I am extremely jealous.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
caspian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its for real

You can make your own one shot rail gun with a ruler 4 magnets and 9 ballbearings Smile You just have to know how to do it Smile

Caspian

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
Surely you guys can't be serious. Rail guns? EMP generators? This is stuff that I only read about in HS. You guys can't be building these in your basements? Can you? If you are, then I am extremely jealous.

what if I told you I could make a lifter device out of balsa wood, glue, 30 guage copper wire, aluminum foil and a HO scale train power supply.

would that impress you?

want to know more? www.americanantigravity.com

"but wait" you say, "if that's anti gravity, why aren't we using it in aircraft now?"

"Easy" I sez, "It ain't."

Go read grasshopper, and you too can make neat things that make people think.

Fish, experimenting with your power grid.

Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
You guys can't be building these in your basements?

Basements? Nope - the garage. See, that was where the lathe was - there was no way I was going to wind 10,000 feet of magnet wire by hand... Besides, a "basement" in Houston is another way of saying "indoor pool". Hardly the kind of place you want to be playing around with multimegavolt circuitry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that. Multimegavolt circutry? What the heck do you furs do for a living anyway? Build rocketships? ^.^

Back in action!

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
I can understand that. Multimegavolt circutry? What the heck do you furs do for a living anyway? Build rocketships? ^.^

Nope, I build nothing of the sort. Nor was I part of a multinational conspiracy to defraud the public about it. FNORD

Fish, making people think confusing things for thirty three years.

elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

*GASP!* Tygon! He's on to us... we might have to make him... disappear Twisted Evil *snicker!*

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gasp* So that's why he was visiting you! I knew it!

"I'll get you next time Gadget! Neeeexxxxxxttt ttttiiiimmmeee!!!!" Razz

Back in action!

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
*gasp* So that's why he was visiting you! I knew it!

"I'll get you next time Gadget! Neeeexxxxxxttt ttttiiiimmmeee!!!!" Razz

Of course. He was experimenting with Free electricity and lifter vehicles and some other crazy ideas... Like making a magnetosphere.

For kicks...

Fish, making fun of everything around for the last 20 years, and having the scars to prove it.

Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

Well, without getting into specifics, my job is to make life hell for people like TVDAVE. You wonder why CNN always has those 'lost signals'? Twisted Evil

Er, make that 'bad people, who do what TVDAVE does but for the bad guys.' Yeah. That's it. Embarassed

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

I got me a surgetical laser unit, well, a dysfunctional surgetical laser unit, and its as big as my bunkbed I used to share with my little bro a long time ago.... got it from an electronics recycling center. It seems that some poor excuse of an avanced form of primate was monkeying around with it, and turned it on with the safety shutters on close and now only blew out the argon tracing laser, but fused the CO2 apperature in a closed but wide open position. It can produce a low end of 50 Kilowatts of invisable infrared light power. (15 kilowatts can go though steel at a rate of 1/2 per second)

What would be more fun is a "thermal lance." A Thermal Lance was (is) a long cast iron or steel pipe the slowly tapered to a cone, O2 was pumped in at high pressure at the large end, and ignited at the small "busy" end. It produced a plasma flame (depending on the pumping pressure), from 6 inches to up to several feet. Never heard of one? They were used in metal foundries and steel mills to instantly cut huge billets of metal into a more managable size. Lore has it that they can cut through a 2 ft steel reinforced concrete wall in a matter of seconds- depending on the size of the hole one was cutting out. Though long (too keep the plasma at a safe distance from the user), it was a 2-handed device, not counting the O2 pump and abespetous (??) hoses; very clumsy to be carrying around in downtown- anytown usa. They were fun to play with... Boy, what I would do to get one of these!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: