Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

As said!

Wow! A forum for me and my scribblings!

Grreat!

Oh yeah, and chapter 3 of Fang is in the paws of my editor...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops....

Maybe I should make a diary for this chapter then...

Or maybe I should just go for the planned parallell piece, tentatively called 'Everyday'. (Named after a Buddy Holly/Bobby Vee song)

No, there's no price for knowing the song...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Why didn't I notice this earlier?

Congrats to the forum. Feels great, doesn't it? Wink

I'm awaiting the next parts of Fang too. You've done great work so far!

I'm eager to see how it goes on.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few more days...

I'm slowly working my way through the suggestions my editor sent...
(The fact that it's a loooong chapter doesn't help either Smile

Like my Avatar?
Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: A day late and a dollar short, as usual... Reply with quote

Yup, I admit it. I finally, just now, got around to reading this/these story(ies). (I really owe Mike some thanks, as well as you, Anthony, for making them available on the Bookshelf. Otherwise, I don't know when I would have gotten to them.) I'm glad I got to them. Wonderful writing, and I love the multiple viewpoints that the dual storyline format allows. Of course, now I have to wait until the next chapter comes out...

It's pretty obvious how one-of-a-kind Iceman/Anthony is, but I wonder, is Rrsh'Dhana just as much of an oddity among her own people? She likely doesn't think of herself that way, but then, Anthony probably doesn't think of himself that way either. It would interesting, watching these two learn more about themselves by learning about each other.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is that upcoming discussion, the one where Rrsh'Dhana is going to ask Anthony about the bracelet. How she asks the question, how he answers it, and how the two of them react to it, are all going to tell the readers a great deal about these two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: A day late and a dollar short, as usual... Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
One thing I'm really looking forward to is that upcoming discussion, the one where Rrsh'Dhana is going to ask Anthony about the bracelet. How she asks the question, how he answers it, and how the two of them react to it, are all going to tell the readers a great deal about these two.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

You won't see that discussion.

There are three clues:
(All in part 2 of the Diary)

1. Rrsh'Dhana and her mother having a discussion. The mother asks 'Did you ask?'

2. The message Rrsh'Dhana left for her mother when she returned to Earth...

3. The final post in the diary...

As for Rrsh'Dhana being an 'oddball' among their people...
No. She started out a bit spoiled, as can be expected of someone growing up with wealthy parents, but nothing that some hard work couldn't cure.

Anthony?
Well... Have any of you ever talked to a WWII veteran?
Preferably someone with convoy experience...
Quite a few of them had to see ships with friends on being torpedoed and sink without them being able to help. They couldn't even stop to pick up survivors. That kind of experience tends to scar a man for life.
Many of them never received help for their problems either, because the merchant marine wasn't considered 'real soldiers' in many countries...

Like my Avatar?
Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: A day late and a dollar short, as usual... Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
As for Rrsh'Dhana being an 'oddball' among their people...
No. She started out a bit spoiled, as can be expected of someone growing up with wealthy parents, but nothing that some hard work couldn't cure.

Actually, I had more in mind the... flexibility that both of them have demonstrated in their mindsets. Or perhaps tolerance comes closer to what I mean. Both of them have found it within themselves to reach beyond their backgrounds and their preconcieved notions of "enemy" to find something important, perhaps critical. In doing so, they've discovered each other, and possibly something greater than not only themselves, but maybe even greater than the sum of what they are.

That willingness to set aside what one already "knows", to look beyond the "truth" that one has seen with one's own eyes, is uncommon, at least here on Earth. Are Rrsh'Dhana's people so different from our own? I suspect, from what you've already written, that not many of her people would have made the effort to understand a race of murderously aggressive savages had they found themselves in her position.

Of course, I may be totally wrong in my assumptions. But I can't shake the feeling that neither of your primary characters represents the "typical" mindset of their respective races.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: A day late and a dollar short, as usual... Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:

Of course, I may be totally wrong in my assumptions. But I can't shake the feeling that neither of your primary characters represents the "typical" mindset of their respective races.

Well...
Anthony is to put it simple, 'messed up'
Ever wonder why didn't even bother to lock Rrsh'Dhana in her cabin?
The simple answer is that he no longer cared. He knew the war would be over in a few days anyway and he no longer had any reason to go on.

Rrsh'Dhana on the other paw...
She starts out a bit spoiled and somewhat naive.
(It's the first time she's away from her homeworld alone)
As you can read in the first part of the Diary, cross-species mating(read: sex) happens sometimes, but she's not into that. (At least not then)

Exactly what attracts her to him?
Who knows...
Maybe it's his sense of honour, his NEED for someone, or something else altogether...
(It could just be that she thinks he tastes good... )

Like my Avatar?
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder about that, but I put it down to a few other reasons. One, the explanation he offered, about the dangerous swimming conditions, made sense to me - even if the conditions weren't really all that dangerous (and they might have been), a solid bluff in an unfamiliar place could be just as effective at keeping a prisoner tied down as a barred door. If he acts like it's dangerous, she has a pretty good reason (subconciously) to treat it like it's dangerous. Two, since he had just saved her life (and at the same time revealed the treachery of her "allies"), he could have been demonstrating his basically peaceful intentions - a very subtle "hearts & minds" ploy to win her over the side of Earth. And three (and this is the twisted one), he might have been suffering from combat fatigue - a feeling of "this damn war is never going to let me out alive, why should I even try to keep going?" If he had been feeling that way, giving a POW a chance to overpower and maybe kill him might be the easiest way for a strong man to commit suicide...

As for what makes him so interesting to her... Well, he was an enemy who didn't treat her as an enemy. Instead, he kept her alive, treated her as a person, a potential friend, and finally as a partner. He spoke with her, showed interest in her, told her what he could (and when there were things he couldn't tell her he told her why).

And, as you point out, he needs her. And, because he's grown so important to her, she needs him as well.

As for her liking the way he tastes, well, I've actually heard that reason before... Razz
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
I did wonder about that, but I put it down to a few other reasons. One, the explanation he offered, about the dangerous swimming conditions, made sense to me

The swimming conditions REALLY were that dangerous...
(If surface water moves rapidly, don't expect it to be any slower deeper down)

Quote:
And three (and this is the twisted one), he might have been suffering from combat fatigue - a feeling of "this damn war is never going to let me out alive, why should I even try to keep going?" If he had been feeling that way, giving a POW a chance to overpower and maybe kill him might be the easiest way for a strong man to commit suicide...

That's close enough. He's got nothing to look forward to, and a whole lot of grief to look back on.

Quote:
As for what makes him so interesting to her... Well, he was an enemy who didn't treat her as an enemy.

Actually, in the beginning, it may have looked as if he gave her an opportunity to escape when they marched to the river, but remember, he's armed with a rifle, and she's not only wearing a cumbersome suit but also carrying a heavy backpack.
In the dinghy on the river, there was still no chance of escape. The current alone was moving the boat at a decent pace, and she was still wearing the suit. And anyone who's ever stood up in one of those KNOWS that sudden moves (like a lounge) is a very bad idea...

Not until they reach his ship does he do anything that may look as if he's treating her as anything but a prisoner. Yes, he lets her walk off with a bundle of what looks like clothes, but...
He's transported prisoners before. Do you think that there's anything that can easily be used as weapons easily available?
He cooks a stew that they eat with spoons, which means that she doesn't get hold of any knives or forks. (How much do you wanna bet that the cutlery drawer isn't lockable?)

Besides, as he points out, where CAN she go?

Quote:
He spoke with her, showed interest in her, told her what he could (and when there were things he couldn't tell her he told her why).

Interrogation 101: Making a rapport with your subject? The hows and whys.

Besides, when you've been out on the sea for a while you'll talk to anyone who's willing to talk back at you...

Now for a tease: Chapter 3 is nearing completion.
It's spring and a mans thoughts invariably turns to... sailing?

Also, it's long... Longer than Chapter 2, even.

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> anthony All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: