Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to the Writers Guild....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Welcome to the Writers Guild.... Reply with quote

EDITED: 2004-05-15 18:44 CST

Welcome to the Writers Guild.

This is going to be a NON-CONFRONTATIONAL place where people can come and discuss their writings, get help with improving their stories, and in general learn more about the art of telling tails.

One of the ways this can be accomplieshed is for new writers to post a small chunk of a story, or a short story, whichever they prefer, in a single post. Other writers will then comment on the writing and give critiques about what they feel is done write and what's done wrong.

Another thing that can be done is for someone to post a detailed discussion on a topic of interest concerning writitng. Such a topic might be "Spelling: When NOT to spell words right." or "Proper use of grammar outside of quotes vs impropper use when in quoted speach." Such posts should hopefully spark discussion on the subject and eventually help writers both new and old to obtain some new insight into the craft.

There are going to be very few rules (and my co-moderators may feel free to alter this list at will):

1) Be polite. Don't just post a note saying "That sucks".

2) Be constructive. Pointing out the bad things can be useful, but explaining how to correct the problem can be even better.

3) Remember that it's all about style. Some folks have a different style of writing than others.

4) Remember your roots. Some of you may be accomplished writers. Have pitty on the new kids. They don't know much and are just learning. Nobody wrote an epic straight off the block in perfect, commercial quality manuscript.

5) HAVE FUN!!!!!!! I can't emphasize this one enough. We're here to have fun. Friendly arguements are cool, but remember that's a real person on the other end, so don't say antyhing to them you wouldn't want said to you.

That's it. Enjoy the forum and let's see what we can create!

NOTE: Please post your story or fragment of a story in plain text inside the message, not as an attachment. This will make it easier for people to read, quote and comment on the excerpt or story.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave

Last edited by hikaru on Sat May 15, 2004 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was hoping such topics as word history would be posted to their own topic. I think this thread might best be served if limited to a discussion about the forum and it's rules.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Someone pronounced the phrase all correct as oll (or orl) correct, and the same person or someone else spelled it oll korrect, which abbreviated gives us OK.

[randomness]
oll is Kernewek for all
[/randomness]

Just thought you would like to know Razz
Danny
Banned From Internets

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I always tought it was from "zero killed" or "all clear" used by american soldiers... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
mwalimu

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add a couple of guidelines to what makes good constructive criticism:

1. Don't just tell writers what they did wrong and what they need to improve. Also tell them what they did right, and what they do well. Often times an author doesn't really know whether element of his story has the effect on readers that he's hoping it does, and if it does, he needs that feedback as much as if it doesn't. Give writers the good news along with the bad.

2. If a writer is obviously newer and less experienced than most, they should be approached with the assumption that they genuinely want to and can eventually improve. A way to approach such writers is to identify a few things about their writing that you think they should work on improving first, that would help the most. Don't worry about the rest - they will probably work some of them out on their own anyway as their writing improves. (And don't forget about #1 above.)

Also remember that some writers aren't really interested in hearing anything about their stories other than how great they are. As long as they have that attitude, there's not much point in trying to help them improve. Many of us have learned to "feel out" a person asking for feedback before offering constructive criticism due to too many encounters with this type. If you run into one of these, just move on. And if you are one of these, realize that no matter how good you are, there is always room for improvement, and you will be better for it in the long run if you can handle some friendly advice from fellow writers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luxo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting idea. I, for one, will visit this forum often. =D
Once I get an idea for a writing, I will submit it to the expert eyes of the awesome writers here.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this forum - I think I'm likely to be back.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm a bit of a writer and also an editor, generally with Mike, I'll definitely be frequenting here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luxo wrote:
Pretty interesting idea. I, for one, will visit this forum often. =D
Once I get an idea for a writing, I will submit it to the expert eyes of the awesome writers here.

I as with Cateagle do some writing and editing with Mike.

I hope your muse is gentler with you than mine was, when I started writing It's tough catching the ideas as they fly by at high speed. Smile

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Since I'm a bit of a writer and also an editor, generally with Mike, I'll definitely be frequenting here.

Its what I planned over a year ago... remember? Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, quick question - any limits on what sort of story? For instance, does it have to be furry, or is anything fair game? (Kinsfire, Fishburne, and a couple of others probably have an idea what prompted this question.)
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything as long as it's PG 13 or less. This is about writing, not necessarily furry. Smile

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything goes...
This forum (as I see it) is to assist in the creation of the works in question. And in that, anything else goes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right-o! I've got several projects in the works at the moment, but I'll try to post one tonight. Not the complete-to-date version, since it runs over 200 pages, but the first chapter, anyway...
Shadu

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i posted a topic and forgot to say hello here Embarassed

So hi everyone.

I think this is a vry good idea for people like me, new to writing and all. i really need the critisism. i know i have lots to work on but i sometimes can't find what exactly it is i need to improve. maby some of you can.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: