Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sabrinas dead, noooooooo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neila83uk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: sabrinas dead, noooooooo Reply with quote

i am a new member.

forgive me for typo`s. (if any)

i just finished reading tabstory, and have read sabstory over 20 times now to their current chapters,

my congrats to chris yolst:- he produced the first story that actually brung a tear to my eye. ( no im not kidding )

his storys are so good and i cant wait for the next installment of his brilliant productions.

just wondering if his story has affected anyone else like this or is it just me?
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: sabrinas dead, noooooooo Reply with quote

Oh, you bet!

I ran across this marvelous slice of the internet in late summer of 2000 and have been hopelessly hooked ever since. Actually, James Bruner's 'Zig Zag, the Story' was my very first taste of furry fiction, and Chris Yost's 'SOLtS' was the second, so you can imagine that set the bar pretty darn high.

And, to answer your query, yes, when I got to the part where Sabrina found out that she had to hook up with a raccoon in the strip, and had to leave Chris, I was sweating bullets. Hands shaking, blurry vision, the whole nine yards.

It was an intense relief to learn that the sequence was only Wendy's daydreaming. I found out later from Chris that THAT was where his story originally ended, with Chris and Wendy hooking back up, but there was such a hue and cry against it (not the least from Eric Schwartz!) the Mr. Yost reconfigured that part, and continued the story.

So, you could say that I know where you are coming from. And, trust me, we are far, far from being alone in our admiration for the tale.

BTW, if you haven't read 'Zig Zag', you should. As soon as possible. I guarantee you will love it. You can find it at www.zzstudios.com where James also moderates a discussion forum for the story.

Happy reading!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chentle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: sabrinas dead, noooooooo Reply with quote

>Yeah I know the feeling, I came across the stories about two years ago through a good friend. I found myself crying by the time I finished. Chris certainly has a strong, very emotional style.<

Thank you very much.

Now, imagine being *me*, being as in love with Sabrina as I am, and having to *write* all of that!

At the time, I had a 1.5 hour commute from my home in Eau Claire, PA to my job in Pittsburgh, and once a week I drove to Wheeling, West Virginia. So as you can see, I had a LOT of time to work this out.

Imagine writing the last moments of the furre you love, where you can't see the road for tears, where you can't breathe through your nose and could barely speak if you had to from the sore throat ... it sure wasn't easy.

And I'm still amazed at how powerful it really was.

Chris
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: sabrinas dead, noooooooo Reply with quote

neila83uk wrote:
i am a new member.

forgive me for typo`s. (if any)

i just finished reading tabstory, and have read sabstory over 20 times now to their current chapters,

my congrats to chris yolst:- he produced the first story that actually brung a tear to my eye. ( no im not kidding )

his storys are so good and i cant wait for the next installment of his brilliant productions.

just wondering if his story has affected anyone else like this or is it just me?

Typo's if any? Heck, you did fine -- except for my name! Wink

Oh well, I'm used to it Wink

Thank you for the kind words. And if we brought a tear to your eye, that means we did it right.

James Bruner is a heck of a co-author. Please don't forget him when you write your accolades. I seriously could never write "Tabitha" without him.

Best,
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoy know, Tabitha wass only the second story ever to bring tears into the eyes of this lion...

The first?

Book two of Anne McCaffrey's 'Harper hall trilogy'. The scene where Jaxom breaks the shell and impresses Ruth the white dragon.

*snif*

That one was kind of difficult since I was doing my duty for King and country, serving in the RNoAF, and was sharing a room with a lot of ubermacho morons...

Strange, though, that two so different scenes can bring the same reaction.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="anthony"]Book two of Anne McCaffrey's 'Harper hall trilogy'. The scene where Jaxom breaks the shell and impresses Ruth the white dragon.
[quote]

Minor correction, that was, if I recall correctly, in one of the books of the main "Dragonrider" series, not the "Harper Hall Trilogy". ::Chuckle:: For the retentive completist, that sequence was also put out as a separate small book by NESFA Press the year she was their GoH (bakc in teh 70's).

I agree, that is quite a moment.

Best regards,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:

Minor correction, that was, if I recall correctly, in one of the books of the main "Dragonrider" series, not the "Harper Hall Trilogy". ::Chuckle::

He who laughs last never got the point?
The scene I'm refering to is the one at the end of 'Dragonsong'...

You must be thinking of the book 'The White Dragon', or possibly even 'Dragonquest'?
(May be another book that began with 'Dragon'. Too lazy to check my database Smile

Except... The scene happens in BOTH books, but the one in 'Dragonsong' is the most detailed and emotional...

I even winced at the pain as Menolly(did I remember the spelling correctly?) walked back over the hot sand after the dragonrider forgot to pick her up after the hatching, her subsequent rescue by Masterharper Robinton.

must stop now... I can feel the emotions starting up again...

Must open box 5 and reread entire Harper Hall Trilogy...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cateagle"]
Quote:

Minor correction, that was, if I recall correctly, in one of the books of the main "Dragonrider" series, not the "Harper Hall Trilogy". ::Chuckle:: For the retentive completist, that sequence was also put out as a separate small book by NESFA Press the year she was their GoH (bakc in teh 70's).

I agree, that is quite a moment.

Best regards,
Cateagle

Actually, I believe you're both correct - the incident in question was in both series, from a different point of view in each. In the "Dragonriders" series, the incident was shown from the point of view of F'lar, Lessa, and Masterharper Robinton, and they focused on what effect it had on Jaxom's mentor. (What was the man's name? It always eludes me.) In the Harper Hall Trilogy, it was from Menolly's and Mirrim's point of view, with some pointed commentary from the latter...

(Got it as soon as I posted, naturally. Jaxom's mentor was Lytol.)

(Interestingly enough, the incident was portrayed in the second book of each series... almost as if it was deliberately plotted that way... Very Happy )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm certain that it happened in 'Dragonsong', the first book in the Harper Hall Trilogy...

The Second book starts with a throughly tired and confused Menolly arriving, on dragonback, together with Robinton to the main Harper hall...

But I think we better stop this discussion here before Chris or James decides to stop us...
(Buf feel free to continue it in my forum Smile

Like my Avatar?
Toric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now. What an interesting topic to discover in a forum dedicated to another story entirely. Heh heh.

Well, I must say, I have been an avid fan of Anne McAffrey's, ever since I picked up "The Dragonriders of Pern" Trilogy (Hardback ^.^). Since then, I have read everything Pernese written by her that has been published, to include my recently purchased hardback copy of her latest. She will always be my favorite author.

Now, I must say, the first book to ever bring a tear to my eye, coincidentally, happened to be one of her works in the Pern series. T'was "All the Weyrs of Pern" The seen where Robinton died. I not only cried, I had to set the book down, and couldn't finish it until many weeks later. Thinking about the scene still brings that feeling back. That is one book I can't read again...

It's been very rare that anything written or filmed has been able to move me to tears since. I guess you could say the bar was set pretty high. Well, while reading those chapters, starting with the growing sense of dread when Chris couldn't contact Sabrina, to the paragraph where he got all of his gifts back from the post office, tears were pulled from my eyes. In the back of my mind, I knew it couldn't be true, that they must somehow get back together or something (mostly because there were so many chapters to go). But still, it hit me hard. I was in a chat room (multi-tasking? ^.~) with my girlfriend at the time. I had shown her Mr. Schwartz's comic strip, and was telling her a little about the story (mostly to get her interested and read it herself) when I read that. I had to stop. I told that I was crying, and why. After about an hour, I started reading again, and felt a surge of relief, almost joy, when I read that it was merely a fantasy.

I'd have to say, I was never particularly fond of Wendy, from the moment she was mentioned. After that, I'd have to say I wouldn't be able to keep the smile away if I read of her death.

On a related subject, I would like to mention, that after reading about it, and Wendy's fantasy of getting into a fight with Sabrina... I came across the artwork in the galleries on Mr.' Yost's site... and seeing the pic of the gravestone put a morbid sense of dread in me, and I feared that the plot would unfold something on the lines of her (Wendy) murdering Sabrina to get Chris back. Or Chris dying. Or something particularly bad. It was something that rode the back of my mind as I finished the story, to its current chapter (45).

Having read the first chapter of "Tabitha" I'm less confused about that picture. I guess it's also a bit of a relief to know that I still have 8 years before I have to worry about Sabrina dieing. I guess I have to finish the story before I make that assumption though.

Well, off to read.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: A rush to judgement Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
I'd have to say, I was never particularly fond of Wendy, from the moment she was mentioned. After that, I'd have to say I wouldn't be able to keep the smile away if I read of her death.

You may well change your mind if and when you read Concolor's story, Gone Wylde. Gives you a very different view of the lady, it does, and one that presents her as a much more complete personality. Though Chris does all right there on his own - that scene with the wolf in the supermarket, and the later encounter with him in the bar, shows some of the hidden depths she has. That lady is carrying around one king-hell of a load of pain, and she hasn't reached the depths yet.

(A quick side question, Chris - that wolf Wendy encountered: he isn't Arthur Wylde, is he? Seems a little early in her story for him to come along. But if it is him, I suppose this might merely be the "first contact" - possibly with him becoming more important as time goes on. Sorry for the digression...)

Seriously, Toric, you're only seeing a little part of the tapestry as far as Wendy is concerned, and it's not enough to give her a fair chance. Coming to a judgement now is somewhat like judging Rava simply on the basis of the "Gauntlet" she runs Maxx through (and everyone else): you need to learn of the reasons why before you can come to a meaningful evaluation. Wendy is a complicated femme (redundancy? Maybe - but it's appropriate), a medium-good friend to Chris (and Sabrina too, though Sabrina's always going to be a little wary - Wendy tends to bring to mind things which are a little too disquieting for Sabrina's comfort), and someone who would benefit greatly from a larger dose of kindness than she's going to recieve for a long time.

And I apologize, Chris, for hijacking your forum for this diatribe. This hit just a little too close to one of my "hot buttons" for comfort, and I felt I had to say something. I'll try not to let it happen again... too often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading chapter 6 of Tabatha's Story.

It probably should have... but somehow, I didn't feel the tear ducts moisten...

It was without a doubt, an incredible piece of work... but I think I knew a bit too much. I knew that the point of the story was Tabitha going back in time to rescue Sabrina from this fate. I guess that the scene just didn't feel real. Perhaps, if I somehow had been kept in the dark, and read that without a clue what the story was about, then it would have been more powerful.

I have some thoughts on the subject... but I'll finish what's written of the story so far before I post them. I might have an email for Mr. Yost...
Toric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the by, about wendy...

I was just putting down my thoughts as they stand now. I do plan on reading those fanfics that have been so highly reccomended. My opinions have never been carved in stone. Those who have read more than I are enlightened to aspects of her that I know of naught. From my so far limited perspective of her, I don't like her. I'll change that opinion when I read redeaming values.
caspian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be overly emotional for a guy. Smile I had trouble keeping my tear ducts from working overtime in both Tabitha Chapter one and chapter Six.
The though of Sabrina being dead for some reason was just hard for me to take. I though both James and Chris did a fantastic job in writing both of those chapters Smile

I have not yet read the other stories with Wendy in them yet my self. I Think if Wendy were to just disappear from the story though i would miss her. Yes, she was Sabrinas rival but she was not a mean or evil rival. Wendy just loved or still loves Chris. Wendy is a GOOD girl looking for love. I hope she finds it.
Side Note Shoudnt this Wendy discusion be over on the Sabrina forum Confused

Caspian

Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're one of - oh, ALL THE GUYS* ON THIS BOARD! Very Happy Chapter Six seems to be one of the hardest chapters to take in this whole constellation of stories. Though there is some tough competition out there - Beau Wolff and Shirh Khan, to name two who've hit my emotions just as hard.

As to where this discussion should be - well, it applies here, it applies in the 'Sabrina' forum, it applies in Concolor's "Gone Wylde" thread... I don't think anyone really minds, as long as you don't bring up something that's way off-topic.

*No offense is intended towards the ladies on this forum with this statement. Caspian's statement was "I must be overly emotional for a guy." That's what I'm responding to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: