Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tabiverse's It's a Wonderful Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errant

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Tabiverse's It's a Wonderful Life Reply with quote

It struck me after reading Tabitha that the story bears many reminders to the book and more famous Christmas movie It's a Wonderful Life. Now on the front end, I'm not suggesting wanton copying or anything of the sort. I'm just pointing out the similiarites that struck me.

It's a Wonderful Life has always been one of my favorites around the Christmas season. Heck, I've even played the angel Joseph in stage performances two years in a row. So I darned near know the story like the back of my hand.

Tabitha's future gives off a lot of similiarites to the present in which George Bailey had never been born. In it you get to see how the gaping hole one person can leave has an affect on events of time.

In George's present, life was hard but everyone survived and was happy. Without him, the world went to pot. The most poignant lines are in cemetary where George sees the headstone of his brother Harry. Including, "He went to war and got the Congressional Medal of Honor." "No, George, everyman on the transport died because you weren't there to save Harry."

Besides the obvious "George praying for life to save Harry" and "Tabby going back to save Sabrina," it's interesting to see that Tabita's future is the dark result of Sabrina's death. So many events link to Sabrina's death: Tabitha's worsening OCD, Tab's spinsterhood, Richard Badger's premature death, Josh's Guilt, Chris's twenty years of mourning, etc...

I'd be interested to see how Sabrina's death affected the futures of other characters we may not have heard from or at least in detail. For example, how did Sabrina's death effect Zig's business? Then you have the Clique, Endora (Could she had lapsed into state liket that of Mother Bailey in IaWL?).

Call me impatient, but I just can't help pondering what 'ultra-happy' ending (should there be one) might be. If the Tabiverse is a kin to coming in media res to George Bailey's story, then setting it right should set it right, or at least right in my black and white mind.

On a side note, Tab's lucky the cops didn't throughly search her purse. Her currency was set for 2011. Being cash, it's printed dates would be vaguely around that point. Since she went back to 1999, all of her cash is effectively counterfiet and badly at that.

Side note to a side note, James, Chris, I have to appluade your withstraint. If I were writing the chapter where Tabitha gave her mother's maiden name as her surname to the nurse....the maiden name would have been replaced with "McFly," "Klien," or "Eastwood."

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 'What If' future stories are simillar to "Its a Wonderful Life," for it tries to answer the question of 'how would the world be without ____' (fill in the blank).

But the questions you ask, are of the missing multi-year gap between StOLS and Tabitha are answered in the other fanfict stories on this server. First off, in Chapter 6 of Tabitha, Chris and Tabitha get married and move to Pensylvania. That means that she is no longer working at Zig Zag's at this time, though they do remain as good firends and maintain contact during the many years.

In TVDave's Final Farewell, Edna's husband, 'Sarge' dies a few years before Sabrina's demise. In Jame's Story, ZZtOS, Zig Zag & James have a loving relationship, though depending on the story you, goes into various directions but still remain together. The Clique remains together, even though each has their own separate live.

In my story, if you dare read that guff, Tabitha becomes more entangled as Time Traveller, and is preoccuppied with saving much more than just her sister. But there are more issues to deal with, included a hinted death of Tabitha because of the effects time travel.

But my story/stories is/are not the tell all and be all like some of the others. You have to sit down and read them all to see where things go. Some authors agree on each other and use another to be the fabric of the Sabrinaverse/Tabiverse and hold it together. Others only embellish what is already there. My stuff is more towards the latter.

One has to say that though many stories will sound alike, each one is different and unique onto itself. Its no longer:
Boy meets girl
Boy looses girl
Boy fights for girl
Boy goes back into time
Boy saves universe and defeats the evil hell spawns
Boy gets back girl...

But thats where simillarity end.
H.ell, in my other story, 'Do Dandilions Roar? Do They Even Have Teeth?', Boy Dies trying to save girl from getting killed by evil forces. Hint: Its in Interlogue 1: 'Once Upon A Time.',
Part 4: David and Jameeka's Story, Part 2.

Some can discuss and others argue, but the Sabrina-Tabiverses is like any other story. It tells of the actions of characters as protagonists and antagonists working toward an end of their plots and delimas. What happens between 'Once Upon a Time' and 'The End' remains unique to the author.

-Elfen
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tabiverse's It's a Wonderful Life Reply with quote

Errant wrote:
It struck me after reading Tabitha that the story bears many reminders to the book and more famous Christmas movie It's a Wonderful Life. Now on the front end, I'm not suggesting wanton copying or anything of the sort. I'm just pointing out the similiarites that struck me.

Oh? I never noticed that ...

I will concede you make some fairly interesting crossovers between Tabitha and It's a Wonderful Life. I have to confess, not one aspect of the movie influenced the Story whatsoever.

I will admit, however, to two Jimmy Stewart references in Tabitha, but neither are affiliated to It's a Wonderful Life. One is the name of the rabbit Harvey Smile For that reason, the other was from a suggestion by Matt Trepal, referring to two technicians, James and Stewart Smile

Quote:
Tabitha's future gives off a lot of similiarites to the present in which George Bailey had never been born. In it you get to see how the gaping hole one person can leave has an affect on events of time.

Well, so far, Sabrina's in the future temporarily, by Tabitha's standards. In Sabrina's time, well, time marched on; she was eventually given up as missing, presumed abducted, possibly dead; vanished without a trace. That's only because while they can travel backwards in time, they can not take time out of motion. When Sabrina goes back, her life will resume and time will continue to flow; any changes will manifest themselves as Sabrina lives out her life to 2011 or, if Tabitha's plan works, 2030. They may only be small things that won't disrupt anything, but they'll be there nonetheless.

Quote:
Besides the obvious "George praying for life to save Harry" and "Tabby going back to save Sabrina," it's interesting to see that Tabitha's future is the dark result of Sabrina's death. So many events link to Sabrina's death: Tabitha's worsening OCD, Tab's spinsterhood, Richard Badger's premature death, Josh's Guilt, Chris's twenty years of mourning, etc...

You've really thought this out, haven't you? Smile

You're right about the series of causes and events. And if there is a connection at all to It's a Wonderful Life, it's the knowledge that things we do occasionally impact others, either singly or as a group. Dr Badger wouldn't have died if Tabitha had stayed where she was. Chris would still be in mourning, although it's not so much mourning as male vulpine tradition; foxes mate for life, and if the male loses its mate it tends to remain single. Eventually, Tabitha's spinsterhood would have ended, as she apparently may have married Richard Badger. Not so sure these days ...

Quote:
I'd be interested to see how Sabrina's death affected the futures of other characters we may not have heard from or at least in detail. For example, how did Sabrina's death effect Zig's business? Then you have the Clique, Endora (Could she had lapsed into state liket that of Mother Bailey in IaWL?).

Interesting thought. Zig Zag's business, if she still had the business, would have gone on; on the whole, all Sabrina did was webmastering, graphics, and advertising stuff. By 2011, Sabrina might have gotten away from it; she'd be in her mid-30's or so, with 40 on the horizon, with the responsibilities of motherhood. Hard to say on that one.

The Clique, well, would have been heartbroken. Susan would have been hit the hardest, she's known Sabrina since high school, and they were practically sisters themselves. Clarence loved Sabrina once, he would have taken it hard for a time as well, not unlike the heartbreak of seeing her quote her wedding vows and realizing even though he's with someone he loves, his first love is gone from him forever; now that she's really gone forever, it would smack him good.

Endora, well let's be fair, she lost her firstborn daughter. It'd about kill her. Don't remember what happened to "Mother Bailey", but here you're looking at a widow raising a teenage daughter alone and now hearing her eldest daughter has been killed. It would affect her, hard. For that part, I think TVDave did a good job describing Endora when she came to Chris' house. True, too, it would be interesting to see how she would have reacted.

Quote:
Call me impatient, but I just can't help pondering what 'ultra-happy' ending (should there be one) might be. If the Tabiverse is a kin to coming in media res to George Bailey's story, then setting it right should set it right, or at least right in my black and white mind.

Okay, you're impatient Wink

Seriousness aside, there are still things to consider if Tabitha is successful, and things to consider if she is not. I'm certain everyone's expecting her to be successful and everything to glide swimingly along. But messing with a timeline offers no guarantees of anything.

Quote:
On a side note, Tab's lucky the cops didn't throughly search her purse. Her currency was set for 2011. Being cash, it's printed dates would be vaguely around that point. Since she went back to 1999, all of her cash is effectively counterfiet and badly at that.

They'd have had no reason to. And it's legit currency, their resources allowed them to accumulate notes from different printings at different points in time. Corporate has friends in high places Smile

Quote:
Side note to a side note, James, Chris, I have to appluade your withstraint. If I were writing the chapter where Tabitha gave her mother's maiden name as her surname to the nurse....the maiden name would have been replaced with "McFly," "Klien," or "Eastwood."

LOL!

Nah. Can't be THAT obvious! I'd say just be glad she didn't choose "Bailey" Wink

Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Regan"]Don't forget Chris, the ripple effects continue.

We have had Cirrel's Time Enough for Love
TV Dave's Final Farewell
Galadrion's Sisters Still (The effects on Amy and Thomas)
Cateagle is in the final polishing of Farewell to a Friend. (Debbye and Lee.)
Still in progress are Cindy and Clarence, Susan and Josh and last but not least Zig and James when the news is first delivered of Sabrina's demise.
quote]

And one you may not have known about.

Last time I spoke to Hikaru, he has one in mind from Sabrina's point of view.

Yoi.

What hath I wrought?

CR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hortmage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:
[
And one you may not have known about.

Last time I spoke to Hikaru, he has one in mind from Sabrina's point of view.

Yoi.

What hath I wrought?

CR

OY! Shocked

I'm not sure I could emotionally handle that story. TV Dave's story just about tore me apart. Crying or Very sad

I hope Hikaru can find his own editors... Cool

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who believes that Tabitha can only be half sucsesful in her plan. The only thing she can and has changed is Sabrina's Medical condition that complicated having children. It has already been shown in SOTS that Tabitha is sucsesful in changing that. But I strongly believe that no matter what Tabitha does she cannot save Sabrina's life.
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
I'm one who believes that Tabitha can only be half sucsesful in her plan. The only thing she can and has changed is Sabrina's Medical condition that complicated having children. It has already been shown in SOTS that Tabitha is sucsesful in changing that. But I strongly believe that no matter what Tabitha does she cannot save Sabrina's life.

You may be right. Hard to tell at this stage ..... Wink

Chris!
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
And Tabitha may have already been successful.

Consider. Sabrina now CAN (not will) have as many children as she wishes.
In Gone Wylde she has what? 3. It has been a while since anythying has come out there. (Are you listening Concolor Very Happy )

I think it was something like four or five wasn't it?

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, she has more kids and doesn't end up on that stretch of road that night, but that just means she won't die by being struck by that truck. She could still die by other means. And there are manny possibilities there that we just don't know about. It could be a lot less painful than the origanal death or it could be even more painful. You have to remember that Sabrina's death is what really drove Tabitha to getting on the time travel project she was on. If Sabrina hadn't died she may have gone out with and married a fellow student when she was at MIT instead of sticking too her studies and doing nothing else. So I can say that Sabrina's death is responsible for Tabatha's position on the project. You change that factor and who knows what would happen. So I still strongly believe that Sabrina will die before Tabatha starts colledge. Just not in the same manner.
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
Ok, she has more kids and doesn't end up on that stretch of road that night, but that just means she won't die by being struck by that truck. She could still die by other means. And there are manny possibilities there that we just don't know about. It could be a lot less painful than the origanal death or it could be even more painful. You have to remember that Sabrina's death is what really drove Tabitha to getting on the time travel project she was on. If Sabrina hadn't died she may have gone out with and married a fellow student when she was at MIT instead of sticking too her studies and doing nothing else. So I can say that Sabrina's death is responsible for Tabatha's position on the project. You change that factor and who knows what would happen. So I still strongly believe that Sabrina will die before Tabatha starts colledge. Just not in the same manner.

OR you could argue that since Tabitha already lived through the one timeline, her memories and events to her would be intact and another timeline will parallel this one.

OR you could argue that Sabrina kept Tabitha on the same timeline so she would get her education and career path and Sabrina wouldn't have the accident!

OR ...

Ain't science-fiction fun? Cool

Chris!
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I hope we never do invent time travel. Too many things can be screwed up by changing small things in the past.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw Up?

Can you imagine openning a portal in the Jurrasic Era and a 12ft paw reaches inside the lab from the portal?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or instead of a paw coming through, how about a critter from this end goes back to the Jurrasic period, somehow screws up the ecosystem and causes the extinction of the dinosaurs hunreds of millions of years earlier. That would be a major change.
Or a group of said critters goes back somehow survive and multiply. Now you have animals that are way out of place that are still evolving. This is a small change that turns into massive reprocutions.
Either way both would change the way things are today.

Mapper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed the time span of Sabbys dissapearence til Tabbys time would have but a few things noticably changed, such as past records on Sabby, and close friends such as Amy and Thomas. They might not have gotten married. Ziggy would continue as she did before being she didn't hire Sabby yet, But something could happen to ziggy being Sabby never got hired, Sabs did have a subtle controlling affect on Zig. But no telling the effects long range into the future.
If Sabs was given Knowlege of when and were to execute certain instructions then returned almost to the moment Tabby took her then the time line would resume. One instruction that would have to be carried out is that Tabby would in the future on this date and time return to the past and repeat this action.
From Sabs return point in time life will go on. And in the future Tabby will have her older sister back. Thats if we don't go into the Butterfly effect.

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
This is why I hope we never do invent time travel. Too many things can be screwed up by changing small things in the past.

All we really do know about it is that you can never end up meeting yourself, because of the awful embarrassment that would bring Wink

Chris!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: