Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Drive Failure... Again

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Hard Drive Failure... Again Reply with quote

It's happening again. The dreaded faulty drive.
Code:
May  2 03:04:42 us1 kernel: ide1: reset: success
May  2 03:04:42 us1 kernel: hdd: status error: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
May  2 03:04:42 us1 kernel: hdd: status error: error=0x7f { DriveStatusError UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound TrackZeroNotFound AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=260013951, sector=138460200
May  2 03:04:42 us1 kernel: hdd: drive not ready for command

Of course, this kicks the drive out of the RAID array, and my email, pager, and cell phone start beeping like crazy with the alerts. Sad

Good news is, I had already started working on migrating the server. It's final location, unknown. Unlikely that it will stay at the co-lo, now. Bills are just too much for me now. One alternative is to run it from my apartment, it's just the uplink speed isn't that great. I'll be looking at other possibilities, though. Anyone have a T1 (or similar) link they would like to donate? Embarassed

Right now the drive is under recovery right now, but I suspect the problem will rear it's ugly head again soon. Sad

Last edited by Whip-lash on Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... 4th attempt to rebuild the array is still going. The first 3 died giving the same error as above, so I won't be surprised if it dies again. This time has run much longer than previous attempts, so who knows. :\

Also, because of the load the rebuild generates, the SMTP server has been getting kicked offline. At most it usually takes about an hour to come back online (cron job to check service status), but I'll keep an eye on it today. This will be the last rebuild attempt, so either way the SMTP service shouldn't have any problems after it finishes.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 hdd1[1] hda3[0]
      96550528 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

I'm shocked... the array is actually back up! Now's a good time for another backup... Wink

Hopefully it will stay up this time for a good while. *crosses fingers* If it does go down again, I'll be notified. Smile
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, glad to hear it's going smoother Smile
KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff, Whip. Glad to see things are back in working order.

On another note, a friend of mine and I have been trying to contact you for a while now. Odious Kangaroo is still waiting on setup information for the site he requested. Do you have time to help him with that? Please e-mail me ([email protected]) when you get a chance... thanks.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: