Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the Depths...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McAllen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I've sat here in front of my computer for the last ten minutes trying to put to words what I felt while reading this last chapter. All my feelings are best sumd up with one word......."Wow...."

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Kelly McAllen ]
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I think I can see now why Dr. Khan has been (in my mind, at least), developing into a sort of 'tragic protagonist' figure throughout the first ten chapters. There's an incredible amount of buried anger within him (highly justified, I must add).

That was an incredible piece of writing. There isn't too much literature-wise that can really get a strong reaction out of me, but the prequel did...
Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:45 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I finally had a chance to read the first prequel, and I'm a little sorry I did it at work. Now I have a rage high burning that I'm going to have to control until the end of the shift.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy Shirh Khan's work - I do - but sir, you managed to hit one of my most dangerous 'hot' buttons with this story. Not your fault, it's just a fact of life. But I'm sorry, I can't abide drunk drivers. I can fully understand Dr. Elijah's reaction, and support it. The otter should be dead; thanks to his irresponsibility, an innocent mother and child are now dead. And that otter is doubly fortunate. First, had I been one of the witnesses, Dr. Khan wouldn't have been restrained in time. And second, had it been me instead of Dr. Khan, I would not have gone into a berserk attack frenzy; my reaction would have been icy murderousness. Immediate attack would have taken second place to a torturous, certain death.

Sorry. End of rant, I promise. But as I said, this is one of the things that can set me off. My compliments, Shirh Khan, on a very powerful, and (obviously) very moving piece of writing.

Now I need to log off and head for the exercise room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Galadrion:
I finally had a chance to read the first prequel, and I'm a little sorry I did it at work... This isn't to say I don't enjoy Shirh Khan's work - I do - but sir, you managed to hit one of my most dangerous 'hot' buttons with this story... But I'm sorry, I can't abide drunk drivers. I can fully understand Dr. Elijah's reaction, and support it.

Neither can I, Sir Galadrion. I hate drunk drivers- they rank just above parents who don't strap their kids down in the car, letting them wander all over the place as the parent cruises on the highway at 100 kph. I want to do unspeakable things to such people, for their carelessness and callous disregard for the sanctity of life.

quote:
...(H)ad it been me instead of Dr. Khan, I would not have gone into a berserk attack frenzy; my reaction would have been icy murderousness. Immediate attack would have taken second place to a torturous, certain death...

Well, Khan was in the thick of all the emotional turmoil, and he reacted as many folks would under the circumstances. If you caught up to Khan "now", and he met with that otter, he might be a cold and ruthless murderer of said otter. When you're subsumed by your emotions, what you think you might normally do can fly out the window faster than that important page of the report you just spent 67 hrs writing. But I can still agree with you.

Thanks, to Galadrion and everyone else who reads my story. I appreciate it.

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 4:55 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I've just finished reading the Interlude and I've got to say that I don't know what to say.
It's... it's... it's just... woah! It's so damn impresive and everything... I can't decribe it. You've got to read it yourself. Really!

Note: I recomment to take Shirh's warning serious.

quote:
Originally posted by Cateagle:
Note to the rest: if you think this is intense, wait until you see what he does in "Interlude" - he's a master at writing that engages the emotions.

I agree. Shirh's surely a master at what he's doing there.

All the best
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:38 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Shirn Khan,

I just read Interlude there are many people out there that feel like the Knights of the Purist Fraternal order, But that doesn't give them the right to do what they did in the story.

I don't like what was done to the mixed breed fur. Angry doesn't begin to say what I feel toward the Knights. I Pitty the mixed fur he didn't have a chance for escape.

Shirh, Your A good writer I enjoy reading your work.

Assa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:50 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Shirh Khan,
I don’t even know what to say. This is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever read. Period. I had no idea that the ‘purists’ were that bad in the furryverse stories. They call the hybrids animals….

Awed,
Metal-Head!!

Not that bad? I gave them a little compassion, and a little tact- believe me, there are many hate groups out and about that wouldn't hesitate to do these same things-- and more that I haven't had the stomach to mention-- to a minority (like myself).

Have you ever seen the movie "American X"? There is a scene there, where a SkinHead (I believe he was one-- I didn't see enough of the movie to clarify his exact affiliation) was beating on a minority male. When the M-male fought back, the SkinHead drew a gun, then ordered the M-male to "put (his) mouth on the curb"-- i.e., to open his mouth, top teeth on the curb, bottom against the side-- then jumped on his head!?!

I'm sorry if I've disgusted anyone in telling that, but that was in the film, and that is a truer measure of the potential of those who are followers of a hate group than what I wrote. I tried to at least tone down the violence some, to make it (semi-)palateable for the furry fandom.

I am glad that no one is seeking to tan my hide-- literally!!-- over this, and I'm glad that I'm being commended for the power I was able to put into this particular "non-chapter". Again, as always, thank you furrs for reading. Keep it up!

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:19 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Just a little forewarning - I have not, as yet, finished reading the Interlude. I couldn't, at the time when I started reading it. I've had to back away, and refocus. Sir Tiger, I know you aren't doing it deliberately (or at least, that it isn't deliberately aimed at me), but you are managing to hit EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY MOST DANGEROUS HOT BUTTONS! I know these people all too well; I recently moved away from Klan main territory. (Vidor, Texas, if anyone knows of it.) No, I am not a minority, but I hate everything that the racists stand for with every fiber of my being. I was an American expatriate in South Africa during the worst of the Apartheid years, and I've seen the worst (and best!) that that sort of prejudice can be. This is one of the few issues that can make me as angry as drunk driving.

The portion of the Interlude I've read so far is making it difficult for me to continue, yet I must read it before I report for work on Sunday, else it will prey on my mind until I do read it. Sirrah, you write a compelling story, and what you write is important, yet I cannot but half wish you were less of a writer. As with the deathbed scene in 'Tabitha', your writing tears me asunder when I read it, yet I cannot not read. A distinctly back-handed compliment, I know, yet it is a compliment.

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Galadrion ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Metal-Head

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:02 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

You know... I didn't even think about that example and quite a few others I've heard of when I was reading this. Humans do this to each other all the time. I've talked to guys that are as hardcore as the 'purists' would wish. Those guys are truly scary. What amazes me is that even if you're a total stranger,they will try to spread their ideas to you. That way of thinking is like a disease.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:23 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

A good suggestion, Mike, but unfortunately, one that doesn't work for me. Once my emotions get to that point, the only quick way down for me is physical exertion - I can't even defocus enough to enjoy writing such as the pieces you suggested. Fortunately, the weight-room at my apartment complex is open 24 hours - Sir Khan, you've at least helped me keep my exercise commitments!

Yes, I have finished reading the Interlude now, and, as expected, it took about an hour of heavy physical effort to reach the point where I could exercise my sense of humor. Fortunately, it wasn't as extreme as the scene from 'American X' that Shirh Khan mentioned, or I might still be in the weight room. Also, thanks, Mike, for the suggestions (they do help bring me back the rest of the way) and Josh - I'll say no more at present.
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Taken from an email:
It was downright eerie to read 'Interlude' and see that wording, that attitude, that gruesome lack of respect for life, that
same twisting of the manifest love of God into a litany of evil to be used for their own vile purposes.

First, I have to, once again, thank you furrs who had the courage to read-- and read it all the way through-- my non-chapter, "Interlude". It was a heavy thing to write, and almost as much of one to read. Remember, for what disgust you've found with the "Knights of the Purist Fraternal Order", I had to dredge such imagery up. But, that doesn't take away from my thanks to you, dear reader, for staying with me to understand the why of it.

I've decided that a little personal background is in order, so you can understand my side of it, as the author.

In case you haven't guessed at it just yet, I'm a "hybrid", too (A minority fur, in RL). I've been fortunate in that I haven't encountered anyone like in "Interlude" or in that movie I quoted, directly. I have been subjected to racism and racist remarks, and as that my history is a pet hobby of mine, I know very much of how grusome "Fallen Man" can be.

And as indirectly as it may be, I've had to stare at these occasions of furry(human) cruelty and outright racial hatred, to know that they are a part of my history, to know intimately and personally that there are beings out in the world who care not a damn for me, don't want to understand the life I live and where I come from, who don't think like me, who lack the same measure of compassion and unconditional love of life that I have towards otheres. It scares me, to the point of nightmares sometimes, just how callous and cruel that our society can be, just because of a difference in one's fur pattern(skin color).

I wrote "Interlude" as a kind of purging for all of that, to bring all that buried assimulated hatred to the surface, so that others could see what it is that myself and others like me have had to face. I'm not saying that I'm giving folks a dose of reality here-- that isn't it at all. I'm showing the darker side of furry(human) nature, in order to better illuminate the light, and to give you, the reader, a preparation for what is to come. Yes, you will be seeing these furs again, though trust me, we won't be looking at them like this again.

And now that I've put this out, I can sleep a little easier. If any reader feels "used" (by me, rather than by the story) in reading this, then I apologize. I simply wanted to tell a good story, and purge the darkness forced upon me by circumsance of my heritage. I've managed one, and from the responses I've gotten, I may have accomplished the other, as well.

Rest assured, you won't see such darkness from me again, and that the light will shine brightly for some time to come.

-Shirh Khan
Kelly McAllen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 1:15 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Once again I finnish reading your story and am stuck for words. This is a wounderfuly, well told story, with charicters the a person can really feel for...really relaight to. Congratulations on this story. Look forward to getting back to the main story.

Till then
Metal-Head

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:52 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Just finished reading ch11! heheh, it seems like Carmen has it bad for our friend Doc EJ dont she? Lets just hope she can control herself in the workplace... Seriously though, it's nice to see that there is some potential between those two. I hope it works out for them...
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 7:15 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

My apologies to all the furrs anxiously (and not so anxiously ) awaiting the posting of chapters 12 and 13 ( deadline past, and deadline approaching, respectively )-- due to some "Issues" at work (resulting in a self-imposed exile of all things computer-wise while at work), and the temporary loss of my home computer, It'll be just a little bit until the next chapters get posted.

Don't worry- I'm expecting to get the home computer back from repair by the end of next week, and I will post chapters 12, 13, and 14, all at the same time, then, since I think I'll be due to have posted chapter 14 then, anyway. And, if not, you'll just get it a week early.

In the mean time, if anyone has any questions or comments on the story, make sure you email me, as I won't be able to use the online messaging services until after Christmas! Hope to hear from you, and have a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays, for whatever celebration you might have), and a Great New Year!

-Shirh Khan

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Shirh Khan ]
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:38 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Three chapters of this most excellent story - all at once? Aren't there laws against too much of a good thing?

<checking law books>

Nope? Great! Been going through withdrawal on this end...more, more, more...<slaps self> Sorry...I'll be good now...

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> shirh khan All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 2 of 45

Jump to: