Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Speculation on Tabitha's Curse.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: A Speculation on Tabitha's Curse. Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
In time travelling back into time to rescue her sister from being killed in a car accident, Tabitha has guarenteed onto all one thing:

Though a bright star Sabrina short life was, in being a normal life thereafter made her into just another average Skunkette, who has a job/carreer, a child and a husband. Did she aspire into greatness? Perhaps into her early years she did; but later in life, she fell into the rut of everyday living.

This is actually part of what made Matt Trepal of Fight Cast or Evade fame originally write to me. His argument was in Tabitha engaging in what is essentially selfishness in going back to keep her sister from dying when she would have no impact on anything of importance.

I had to admit it was a valid argument, and further agreed that it was exactly what Tabitha was engaging in. At some point in Tabitha's life, such as maybe skipping a grade or two (not saying it happened, mind, just speculating), she's going to discover she's gifted and a child prodigy. She'll come to understand advanced mathematics and develop a love for it and science. She'll come to figure things out. And when Sabrina is killed and when Tabitha later gets her scholarship to M.I.T., she's going to make inquiries (or "enquiries" for you U.K. folks, or "axe q'essions" for you people in Rio Linda) into the theories and unknown facts regarding time travel. The rest, as they don't say, is as-yet-unwritten history.

Now, I need to go read the rest of this thread and see who said this already Wink

Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
*grins*

Like I said, the waht-if's are infinite, limited only by the imnagination.

... Sure, we save Sabrina (woo hoo!) and she gets to have her happy life, have her alotted offspring, who go on to do spiffy things.

Just to be a wiseass ... sez who? Wink

What if Sabrina ends up an overweight divorced furre with an alcohol problem living in a trailer with 4 or 5 screaming dirty hybrid kids, not all of the paternal parents a fox?

What if she never gets married?

What if she says, "What the hell Zig, turn the camera on!"

Cool

Sorry, I'm at work and the caffeine in my coffee is beginning to kick in Wink

Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Elfen_Furry"]I will admit that I have not read StOLS in quite a while...[\quote]

Where's my ball bat? Wink

Quote:
And the Question still remains- Will Sabrina be in that car accident? Also- will she survive it this time?

Or will Sabrina be nowhere near there, and someone else gets killed in the same accident?

The mind reels ... and I enjoy reeling it Wink

Chris
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
... With the pain now gone that would no longer have been a block to sex during that time of month.

Actually, it's not having sex during That Time Of The Month, but rather, That Time Of The Month. Or less tactfully put, her menstrual cycle.

This is when the egg releases itself from the Fallopian tube and is released from the body along with blood. From a nurse I know who married my high-school friend, women who suffer from Endometriosis have a good deal of pain during their period. So if Sabrina is able to fend off Chris during those 3-5 days, she does.

Chris
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
From Tabitha's 1/2 of the story:
Chapter 8 gives the date of: May 3, 1999
Chapter 9 also states:
Quote:
"Yes Ma'am, this is ZZ Studios but we have no Sabrina Mustelidae working here. Is there anybody else you'd like to speak with?"

From Eric's Swartz's World ...

Bear in mind, from Eric Schwartz' world, Amy was pregnant for nearly 4 or 5 years as well Wink IF you go by real time.

In The Beginning, Story-wise, Chapter 1 takes place around mid-February; at this point, she is working for the web design outfit that eventually fired her. So she and Chris were dating. It's around April or May when Sabrina and Chris first make love (sort of). When Tabitha shows up, Sabrina has just lost that job and is newly-unemployed, and she and Chris had only made love once. She loves him, but the prospect of a lifetime commitment has never even been thought about being considered as the hint of a suggestion. And Sabrina has no idea who or what a "Zig Zag" is.

Quote:
Hence- this is the time when Sabrina gets kidnapped by Tabitha and not any other point in time after when Sabrina is dating or living with Chris.

Oh, later on, Chris will kidnap her too. It just may never appear in print is all Wink

But that's right. Sabrina and Chris are only sleeping together at her place on off-and-on weekends.

Quote:
This Tabitha story will come to a close as stated by Mr Foxx quite some time ago that Tabitha may not go past its 25th chapter, but Another will be soon openning if they are to continue with Tabitha's Time Altering Adventures to help Sabrina... unless Chris and James extend Tabitha like StOLS and have Tabitha do a series of jumps and other factors Tabitha has to deal with in her life in the future and see what the changes occur as they occur in her time.

25 chapters is kind of a pipe dream, I don't think it'll go quite that far. But I will say the ending is/will/should be something that should be entertaining enough to really have discussion thread going Wink

Quote:
Problems occur in Tabitha's Chapter 10

Was Chris and Sabrina dating at this time?

Yes, they were.

Quote:
If not- its a mistake on Tabitha's part in releasing the news too soon about Sabrina and Chris.
If so- Its still a mistake on Tabitha's part, though letting Sabrina know about the endometriosis is one thing, but connecting it to a boyfriend is another. Besides- Sabrina had a past boyfriend before Chris.

Yes and no, although it leans a lot closer to yes. Tabitha's meddling, and she may feel compelled to make sure she keeps things steered in the right direction. She may not, that part hasn't been written yet, but some people simply have a hard time keeping their paws off of other people's plates Smile

And C-CAD is considered Alternate-Sabrinaverse, per EWS, so while we all know Sabrina had to have had other boyfriends, and Chris has had other girlfriends, C-CAD is out there along that that web comic strip version. Smile

Chris
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
I'm just realizing today, what other alterior motives Tabitha may have for all this time travelling to help out Sabrina- Despite the obvious one of making sure that she does not end up in that car accident...?

Thus far, we have pinpointed 1 time travel incident which Tabitha think will be her first and only attempt to save her sister and is off by a few years.

What about the other ones, as hinted in StOLS?

Good question!

Quote:
Question is; when does the Brunner Effect takes effect or does it ever? As hinted by James, the Brunner Effect makes Time Travel impossible because the next jump needs that much more energy (exponentially). This factor starts out as a very small number, but as exponents grows, so does the Brunner Effect. And it will continue to grow until the values become too high to be obtained by current means.

(Then again- as in my story- the problem with the Brunner Effect was taken cared of in the first attempt before Tabitha joined in on the team.)

Technically speaking, it's already begun. Problem is, I've gone back and forth with James over this, and here's the thing: a lot of money and resources have been sunk into this project. It's going to be used for commercial purposes, which will be for use by historical experts who wish to view history as it happens. They would not knowingly sink millions of dollars (or whatever we're spending in 2020-ish to 2030) into a project that has a severely-limited lifespan; the and the stockholders will expect to get their investment back plus profit and dividends. I've argued in this direction.

Thing also to bear in mind is that Brunner Effect is considered a wonky theory at best and isn't given a lot of credence. It's already begun to rear its ugly head, however. And still some beaurocrats aren't going to see it or accept it.

Also hinted is the person who gives Sabrina the medication is a much older person, then again, the current Time Traveling Tabitha is already in her 30's- already considered as old in some circles.

We never said "elderly", c'mon here! Smile

Sabrina's in her early 20's, Tabitha is on the high side of 30, pushing 40. Therefore, chronologically older furson Razz

Quote:
You know- I'm going to be crazy enough to put together a Chrono Map of the cases involving these and other stories. I'm sure that within the parallel time worlds and respective figures therein, some interting patterns will emerge. But damn- what a huge file its going to be!

James and I are giving you people way too much time to think! Wink

Chris
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's only one way to keep us from thinking to much and you already know what that is. Very Happy Twisted Evil
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
Well there's only one way to keep us from thinking to much and you already know what that is. Very Happy Twisted Evil

I'm waitin' on James now, honest! Smile

CR
RodTerl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Brunner effect? Reply with quote

Elfens version?.. the more traveling occurs, the harder, exponentially, it gets to do time travel?

Theress something that sorts of fits, recently, theres been an article published, (Science mag), that shows that certain 5 Dimensional solutions to General Relativity, give rise to negative mass, and so repulsive gravity.

If you say wormholes are antigravity, and are only way of travelling through time, due to greater than light speed effect, then the more time traveliing occurs, the more cross time wormholes you are going to have in a given place and time, and so the more they will repel each other, and the harder it will become to force another temporl wormhole Through that time, and even more difficult to actually Reach a given time?

RodTerl

I want to see these equations 8(

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I.

One problem I remember, as stated by Kaku is that using other dimensions (4/5/6/...) you temporarily end up in another universe paralle to this one for the time you do the travel.

So, interactions between worm holes may not be a problem is the are going and coming to/from one universe to another, except for the entry/exist points.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Talk about over analysis.

The big problem with trying to figure stuff out based on what Chris has written in these stories is that these stories are still being written, and he’s not gone back to correct errors in early chapters. A writer knows where he wants a story to go, and he thinks he knows how to get there, but by the time the journey is over the route traveled is almost never the one originally envisioned. Even if Chris were to go back and edit and polish the early chapters, next year he could change his mind about what he wanted to say. Careful readers will see another crop of paradoxes pop up. This is one of the dangers of writing a serial story.

Compound this with two stories and then make one of them about time travel, always a difficult subject to keep straight.

Time travel is a tough subject to write about. There are several assumptions a writer can make to simplify things:

1. There is only one past, but an infinite number of futures. Therefore, only an idiot would travel into the past and expect to return home. You can get back to the same time as when you left, but you can’t get back home. Of course how could anyone know this until they try it?
  2. Timelines are self-healing. What is meant to be will be, and multiple futures generated by mucking about with time will quickly re-converge into a single timeline. Tabitha can save Sabrina from the car crash, but some other incident will take her life about the same time anyway.
  3. It is only possible to jump ahead in time, but not possible to actually visit the past. Boring, but it sidesteps all the problems, except the time traveler could never get home again.
  4. I suppose there could be a hybrid between 1 and 2. Where only local changes take hold and the rest of the universe is unaffected by the time traveler.

So... Mister Foxx is starting to respond to Windy. If Tabitha is successful, will he wake up one day to find he is no longer living in Windy’s house, but back home in bed with a now older Sabrina? Will he discover they have more children? Or perhaps different children, no Alan. Will Chris Foxx detect a change, or will the Chris Foxx that exists at the beginning of Tabitha vanish, to be replaced by a Chris Foxx that never lost Sabrina?

There are more than enough issues to over analyze in Tabitha without dipping into Sabrina Online the Story for more inspiration.

Speaking of which, how do people get StOS or StOLS from Sabrina Online the Story? Or is the reference to something else?

Finally, the confusion over human female reproductive cycles.

Okay, it seems Sabrina is far more human than Musteline if she is having a monthly cycle. Humans ovulate, then about two weeks later (not three days) menses occurs. The actual window for fertilization is only about a day and the egg is fertilized while still traveling down the fallopian tube. However, sperm can live in inside the woman several days, during the special conditions that exist just before and during ovulation.

My wife and I used the Billings method of natural birth control for many years after our daughter was born, still do. This method uses observation of the mucus discharged by the woman and how it changes during the cycle. It is far more accurate than counting days and more convenient than taking the basal body temperature, although combining Billings and body temperature is more accurate than either method alone.

Here is a bit on the basics: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/ovulation
General fertility awareness: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Fertility%20Awareness%20Method
Billings method: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Billings%20method

Now I’d never even heard of endometriosis until I read of it in SOtS. I e-mailed Chris about the comments Sabrina makes to herself while in the doctor’s office (about having miracles made for you). He wrote back and explained it. Crumb, poor kid...

Scotty

Oh yea, Hi everyone!

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while some of you are going OA on this topic, I'm just waiting for more chapters on these various online stories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrblanche

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Time travel Reply with quote

For some idea how paradoxes may or may not occur in time travel, let me recommend the book by James P. Hogan, Thrice Upon a Time. Another is the novel Millenium, which was the basis for a movie.

Endometriosis is nasty stuff, and the causes are basically unknown. My wife had a terrible case, and didn't even know it. Lots of surgery involved, when it was discovered.

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Time travel Reply with quote

mrblanche wrote:
For some idea how paradoxes may or may not occur in time travel, let me recommend the book by James P. Hogan, Thrice Upon a Time. Another is the novel Millenium, which was the basis for a movie.

Endometriosis is nasty stuff, and the causes are basically unknown. My wife had a terrible case, and didn't even know it. Lots of surgery involved, when it was discovered.

Hogan's The Proteus Operation has some interesting playing with time, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One may also get stuck in a time loop.

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: