Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time And Time Again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:26 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Regan:
(Continued from the Chris Foxx forum.)

Another point is, if Tabitha waits until just before to tell Sabrina about the wreck it will be about 12 years. When she reactivates the beacon as is brought back, will she be 12 years older than when she left while the others have not aged at all?

How could she explain the delay?

Interesting point. Maybe she doesn't need to explain it at all. From her jump I got the impression that the team realized that she was doing something she wasn't supposed to do. If it is that way, she probably will get arrested as soon as she gets back and will say nothing at all.

On the other point, perhaps she will tell that the beacon broke and she wasn't able to repair it earlier. That of course depends on what level of technology the beacon needs.

All the Best
kaze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 12:11 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

What's the Bruner Effect, or has anyone figured that one out yet?

~Kaze
kaze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 9:17 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Regan:
It has not said much about it. I wonder if it is that when something is sent back in time it changes time from that point forward. The divergent timeline mentioned a few times. Also that the mass and interactivity of the object figures into the equation. They have been sending inanimate objects back in time a short way, few days to a week, for tests. These objects arrive at time and place they were supposed to for all appearances. What if they were off by very slight amounts? If things had been sent back farther the amount would have been greater and been noticed? If Tabitha knew this and had figured the transport of the cage of mice into the equation for her trip, Eze getting caught and sent back by accident would have changed everything. This could be the reason she ended up not in Pennsylvania but in Columbus Ohio and 12 years before she should have been.

Something else mentioned is that people would laugh about it, including Tabitha untill she studied under Dr. Brunner and learned what the effect does. That means that it could be something bad that can seriously damage someone/something including the time-travler and/or the time s/he came from.

~Kaze Okami

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Kaze Okami ]
Michael Whiteshine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 6:30 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tygon:
Interesting point. Maybe she doesn't need to explain it at all. From her jump I got the impression that the team realized that she was doing something she wasn't supposed to do. If it is that way, she probably will get arrested as soon as she gets back and will say nothing at all.

On the other point, perhaps she will tell that the beacon broke and she wasn't able to repair it earlier. That of course depends on what level of technology the beacon needs.

All the Best

Ive read the story several times since I found it mid September, but nothing in Chaps 7 & 8 lead me to belive that the Temporal Control Team knew what Tabitha was up to. They thought that it was some sort of equipment malfunction (and it was in a sense)
None of the ppl in the Temporal Complex thought her actions were dilibrate, and I think something would have shown in their words or actions had they thought so.

Just my 0.02 cents on the matter...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Whiteshine:
[QUOTE]Ive read the story several times since I found it mid September, but nothing in Chaps 7 & 8 lead me to belive that the Temporal Control Team knew what Tabitha was up to. They thought that it was some sort of equipment malfunction (and it was in a sense)
None of the ppl in the Temporal Complex thought her actions were dilibrate, and I think something would have shown in their words or actions had they thought so.

Just my 0.02 cents on the matter...

Okay, I admit, I assumed that the team would figure out what Tabitha planned. At least, as soon as they check the their equipment and find the manipulated time data module the will know that something was wrong and the fact that Tabby started to run towards the portal as soon as the contact with the beacon was lost could lead them to the conclusion that it was all planned by Tabitha.

Then again, it's only one of infinite possibilities

All the Best
Michael Whiteshine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:28 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Okay, I admit, I assumed that the team would figure out what Tabitha planned. At least, as soon as they check the their equipment and find the manipulated time data module the will know that something was wrong and the fact that Tabby started to run towards the portal as soon as the contact with the beacon was lost could lead them to the conclusion that it was all planned by Tabitha.

Then again, it's only one of infinite possibilities

All the Best

You've got a really good point going here. I didnt think beyond the actions played out in the story itself. They will pull all machines apart to find out what went wrong, and will inevitably find the forged destination module, and then they'll know exactly what Tabitha is (or was?) upto
Dan O'Carroll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:05 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

Tab's original target was somewhere/when near where Sab was supposed to be in PA, 2011. Instead, she accidentally wound up somewhere/when near where Sab was in OH, 1999. For a geographic and temporal goof on that order of magnitude to happen, and still wind up somewhere near her sister, I think that Sabrina herself must have been the target somehow, not a specific point in 4D space.

Perhaps, and this is just whistling in the wind mind you, every individual leaves some kind of perceptible trace during the course of their life. For each major event or choice in their life, the time line forks, creating one branch for each possible outcome (or at least each major outcome). Call it a quantum effect, a psycho-temperal effect, or something.

When you go back in time, you have to trace back down past where the various branchings merge. Then as you continue forward from your destination, you can hopefully, perhaps inevitably, guide yourself (and the world) down one of the other possible branches. You are now in a different past than the time you came from. You can never go back, and there's the possiblility that it never happened, and all the people you ever knew never existed in the form you knew them. Could this be the Bruner Effect?

Maybe what Tab did was to target some major, critial event in Sab's life, and aim just before that branching. Her intended target event was Sab's death, where she landed, was shortly before Sab leaves for PA to move in with Chris and start her new job. That has to be one of the major events in Sab's life at that time, and the best explanation I can think of at the moment to explane the staggering coincidence.

...Unless of course, Tab was talented enough to setup self-correcting fallback possitions for herself in the event of unexpected failures or complications that kicked in automatically.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about at all.

Dan
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:51 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by RodTerl:
[QB]Great thing is... it gets a lot more complicated if you look more closely at the other possibilies.. but I think I will let you go mad yourself.. if you like, please give me a call.[QB]

Nice example for the Chaos Theory and the Mandelbrot Amount. The closer you look at it, the more complicated it gets
RodTerl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:21 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

Um, Im really sorry I havent posted any earlier.. certain problems.

I have been giving these ideas some thought, and you could say a couple things can occur. Since the only reason Tabitha went back, was because of Sabrinas accident, then everything leading up to that point, of departure, must have origionally occured in Tabithas past, one way or another. People keep saying about the many worlds, meaning many futures, but its just as valid, to have many pasts for each present. For any given event, there are many different possible histories, and many possible futures. This effect also works to alter the number of time lines required for a given event, fom an exponential amount, to a logarithmic amount, which leads to closure at the temporal bounday of the Big Bang, Big Crunch.

The only way to look at this effect now then, is to say, that the only reason Tabitha went back, was to save Sabrina, so therefore, in the time line where she saves Sabrina, she must have as much incentive. The only real way she can do this, is if she leaves herself a set of messages from the past, telling her future self that if she Doesnt go back, then Sabrina would die. This could really be said to be a self fullfilling prophecy, but then, it is information in a closed temporal loop.

Great thing is... it gets a lot more complicated if you look more closely at the other possibilies.. but I think I will let you go mad yourself.. if you like, please give me a call.

[email protected]

Im working on something Very strange. 8)
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:12 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Nice example for the Chaos Theory and the Mandelbrot Amount. The closer you look at it, the more complicated it gets

Translation: Thank God for science-fiction, where if you know what you're doing you can muck with it and still be reasonably accurate

>>>>>>>Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

I think that the Tabitha story is a perfect example of the Everett interpretation of Quantum Physics. (My story Serina is a perfect example of it. <a not-so-subtle plug...*grin*> )

A thought occurred to me - she has to stay in the past for a while, doesn't she? One of you brilliant people mentioned Tabby drawing a picture of Terl, the guy she's supposed to marry. Was Tabitha married when she left? Or am I just blowing smoke out unusual orifices?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:15 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kinsfire:
A thought occurred to me - she has to stay in the past for a while, doesn't she? One of you brilliant people mentioned Tabby drawing a picture of Terl, the guy she's supposed to marry. Was Tabitha married when she left? Or am I just blowing smoke out unusual orifices?

As far a I remember Terl was one of Tabitah's classmates at MIT and he asked her to marry him, though she said no.

Who knows what Chris might b up to

ALl the Best
Rava

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:29 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

quote:
As far a I remember Terl was one of Tabitah's classmates at MIT and he asked her to marry him, though she said no.

Who knows what Chris might b up to

ALl the Best

It's not just Chris who is writting remember... I smell James's Paws in this one. I think now that she has changed this timeline she is trying to change her own past too so she will never end up alone and as obsessed as she is now.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 11:57 pm    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

It's a possibility - though remember, she undertook this mission determined to carry it through no matter what it cost her. At her most successful, she expects to be fired and possibly arrested on her return. She has also accepted the possibility of her own death, and considers it an acceptable trade for her sister's life. Somehow, I don't think she's going to make any changes in her own life if there's the chance she'll endanger her primary goal.

But if there's a chance of her succeeding and coming out of it a saner, happier being, then I hope she does. I'm a firm believer in "just rewards", and the fact that she was willing to sign a karmic blank check to save another counts for a great deal with me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rava

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:22 am    Post subject: Time And Time Again Reply with quote

Chances are she is trying to stop that from happening too. Afterall THIS Tabitha has no reason to grow up to save Sabby if the original Tabitha succeeds. The original would no longer exsist in her time. She has basiclly erased her time-line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: