Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions about the new BBS

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

So, what does everyone think about the new BBS? For those who haven't seen it, the test board is located at http://www.planetfurry.com/forums.

It is using phpBB2, which has a lot more security and expandability than the current BBS, which is running UltimateBB.
burningfox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

The new system looks pretty good
Pros:
I liked the new emotes(or graemlins).The new board system worked very well.
The visible members list was good. As well as the display that showed who was on the boards.
I especially like the attachment and avatar features as well.

Cons:
I wish the messages were ordered from newest to oldest instead of the other way around.

When will we be switching to the new board, if you know that is?

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Grant The Burningfox ]
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

> The new system looks pretty good

Cool.

> Pros:
> I liked the new emotes(or graemlins).
> The new board system worked very well.
> The visible members list was good. As
> well as the display that showed who was
> on the boards.
> I especially like the attachment and
> avatar features as well.

That was one thing UBB doesn't work with very well. There are modifications for the source code that runs UBB, but they aren't very consistant with the rest of the program, so problems start popping up unexpectedly.

> Cons:
> I wish the messages were ordered from
> newest to oldest instead of the other way
> around.

I can change that, just like I did with UBB. By default both sort messages from oldest-to-newest.

> When will we be switching to the new
> board, if you know that is?

This is still to be determined. I'm waiting for a majority of the users on the current board to approve the new board.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

I like it. It looks good and has several nice features the old board didn't have. Grant has already named a few.

I agree with him that a newst-to oldest order like in the old board would be nicer (I guess we're all used to it).

The only problem I can see is that we have to get used to it. A few buttons are in different places but that's only a metter of time, most likely only a few days
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tygon:
I like it. It looks good and has several nice features the old board didn't have. Grant has already named a few.

I agree with him that a newst-to oldest order like in the old board would be nicer (I guess we're all used to it).

The only problem I can see is that we have to get used to it. A few buttons are in different places but that's only a metter of time, most likely only a few days

Gee, I remember when I got complaints about it being in reverse order...

Heh, don't worry. The messages will be displayed in newest-to-oldest on the new board, just like it is now on this board.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Regan:
The questions and concerns I have are:

What happens to us moderators?
Do we have to rejoin or will we be set up on the new board?

Can the old messages and topics be moved over or is it a blank slate and we will have to recreate them all?

Is there a block delete to clean up older messages or is it still only one at a time like the one now?

All users will be converted. This includes passwords and most settings per user. That means moderators will keep their status as moderators.

All messages that haven't been deleted from the current board (this means ones that haven't been "pruned" or manually deleted) will be moved. This goes for the forums, topics, and individual posts.

Message pruning settings will be the same as they are now unless someone suggests otherwise. (Are there problems with the way it is now? The listing will be much faster on the new program even with the same settings since it's running on an SQL server, instead of a flatfile database.)
TVDAVE
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

I like it, as well as posting photos. now i can do camel of the week photos and the sillyness that goes on here in the middle east.

pool side
TVDAVE reporting
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Opinions about the new BBS Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by TVDAVE:
I like it, as well as posting photos. now i can do camel of the week photos and the sillyness that goes on here in the middle east.

pool side
TVDAVE reporting

Camel of the week photos? I'm not sure I want to know.

I like the new system, but every time I try to post something in a different color, it comes out black regardless. Why?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: