Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire On High
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably....

Most professional manufacturers doesn't even sell B/W equipment anymore.
And you get much better footage with a few cheap networked webcams and a PC these days than those old analogues.

When you pay up a bit for the pro equipment you get tamper-proof cameras with built-in motion-detection(often you can define areas to explicitly monitor or ignore) which offloads a lot of processing from the monitoring PC.(Can really reduce the storage space needed, also) Some have built-in memory storage of some sort to keep recording even if they lose contact with the PC, too.
Infrared is popular...
Or what about a 180degree 'dome' camera that moves in a set pattern to scan for movement?
(And it automatically 'flips' the picture the right way up)
Of course, I like the 140degree 'domes' I put up recently. Solid-state, so there's no visible or audible warning that it's zooming in on you.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infrared, to my memory, comes up as being in shades of grey ... but it's been a few years.

Yes, the systems that are available commercially nowadays are all color.
Now, the responsible person would go for the newest and best ... but I do have a few questions.

1) How old was the building where Biggs was murdered?
2) When was the security system installed?
3) How honest was the person who installed it?
3a) I ask this simply because of all the stories I've seen on the news about contractors cutting corners and pocketing the difference.
3b) Was the contractor asked to cut corners?

There are other questions, but they'll come to me later.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Infrared comes out in shades of grey.

Unless the magazine just rents the ofices, it would have been their own security system. And with Biggs running the show, there's two ways he could have acted...
1. He could have gone cheap and gotten some rubbish, or possibly reused either a system being scrapped somewhere else, or belonging to the previous owners of the building. (This is my bet.)
2. He might remember that he's not exactly mr. popularity and buy something that actually works... That would also have included access control, which is doesn't sound like they have.

In other words, this case is hampered by the fact that the victim acted as usual even when it came to security.

In my opinion, security systems should be examined and possibly revised or upgraded every year.
And by examined, I don't mean looking at the blueprints only. I mean a complete physical examination.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know why I like my readers so much?

Cause you guys OA ROCK!

First off, what is material to the story was already stated. There are 3 tapes, which implies 3 cameras.

For your edification, here's te details that aren't stated.

Many office buildings around Cinci are old buildings that have been refurbished. This is the case for Furfemme's offices. The space is leased from the building owner. The cameras were installed about three years ago when the building was last remodeled, and are fixed on whichever area they cover. The system is color, but not the best or newest. The images are clear, and the color as sharp as tape-based recording allow.
There is no zoom on the recoded tapes, but the poodle-cut pink femme passes close enough for the details to be seen.

Happy OA-ing!

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
The cameras were installed about three years ago when the building was last remodeled, and are fixed on whichever area they cover. The system is color, but not the best or newest. The images are clear, and the color as sharp as tape-based recording allow.

And that tells me everything I need to know about the quality of it.
I bet it also uses NTSC standard(Never Twice Same Colour)

The first problem is that even small errors in the recording causes wild colour changes when recorded with NTSC.
PAL (Perfect At Last) doesn't have this problem, and the most you get is a slight distortion of the hues.

And the big problem with this is that it IS a tape-based system.
Most systems run the tapes at etra-slow speed, getting 12 or even 24Hours onto a tape never meant for more than 4 or 6Hours.
(and 6Hour tapes are too thin and tends to stretch and should really be banned anyway)
Let the tapes be re-used a few times and degradation quickly sets in.

You can be certain when a salesdroid demonstrates a system they ALWAYS use fresh 3Hour tapes. and if they can get away with it, they'll run it at normal speed, too...
They may tell you in an 'off paw' way that they recommend using that speed, but you can be certain that the security personnell will find the knob that sets the recorder to 'slow' so that they don't have to change tapes all the time.

Also, analogue signals means signal degradation in the cables. This is inevitable... How much depends on distance and how good the contractor is.

As for the 'Three tapes = three cameras' that's not always true, unfortunately.
There are systems out there that stores multiple streams onto one tape.
(Usually running at normal speed. And again, people use 6Hour tapes because they're idiots)

Going digital is the answer...
Running a dozen networked ful-colour cameras, with sound recording, pan/til/zoom and all the goodies willtypically take only 2 - 3 % of the available capacity of a Switched 100Mbps network. With little traffic and motion-detection, this can drop even lower as the detection algorithms all stay in the camera.
Place a 180degree 'Dome' camera where two corridors intersects, and it can be set to continually pan and zoom down through each corridor in turn. (One camera doing the work of 4. Something beancounters love)

Even better, with digitals, you can have the system automatically copy the feeds to a networked drive, or even off-site.(How do a criminal find and remove a networked drive that can be anywhere in the building? Not easily) Or what about sending you an MMS with a picture if someone opens a door outside of office hours?

Did I mention the encrypted data stream? No more 'splicing into the cable and recording a dull 15minute segment, then feeding it to the security monitor.' Or that they can be set to display the clock?

There's a nice 'planner' app on the axis website that can be used to calculate network utilisation, storage requirements and all that.
They even have example footage for help in visualising different scenarios and to show what different compression ratios does to the recording quality.
There's a few docs that should be downloaded, too. One is about planning a surveilance system, and not only deals with technicalities but also contains a few pointers about the legalities.

Note, they DO sell analogue equipment still, but only with 'Composite' signals, which is then fed into dedicated servers for processing.
(I believe this is mostly for those who already have an older system and don't want to replace everything.)

Like my Avatar?
Frazikar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like blanks can kill?

Blanks are normal bullets (brass and propellant [maybe less]) and a shell instead of a regular solid projectiile. That shell still leaves the muzzle at speed and can do damage/shock if close to the target (touching range can be fatal)...
Nosnibor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
The images are clear, and the color as sharp as tape-based recording allow.
There is no zoom on the recoded tapes, but the poodle-cut pink femme passes close enough for the details to be seen.

So it would be possible to notice whether the poodle-cut was new or two weeks old?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, blanks can be many different things.

They've used regular cartidges with balsa 'bullets'(The balsa wood splinters and just about turns into dust in a very short distance)
Cartridges with a longer nect that has been crimped closed is also atype.
Modern blanks(for rifles, assault guns and MGs at least) are usually a plastic cartridge with a brass end to hold the cap and carefully crafted weakness where the bullet usually goes.
On one type that I had the pleasure of using in the RNoAF was the exact length of the normal 7.62x51 NATO round, except that he 'bullet' was a little slimmer, and with a cross-cut at the tip. Unfortunately though, it had a weak 'neck' and so the 'bullet' often ripped off and functioned as a real bullet instead of splitting open. We used them in our MG3s because they had a 'recoil amplifier' that was screwed onto the tip of the barrell, and nothing of the plastic got past that. (Made a right mess of the inside of the 'amplifier', though.)
The ones we used in the AG-3(a version of the H&K G-3) was either a 'short' round with a cross-cut, or a 'normal length' one with a square tip that split open like duckbills.

My father once told me that during his stint in the Army, back when the Garand ruled, they used to shoot off one blank, grab the empty cartridge and stuff it -open end first - into the opening of the barrel before firing off the second cartridge.
Not nice when they played war...

When I was in Boot camp, we had some voluntary evening duty training on 'infiltration, camouflage and observational skills'(we ran around in a small forrest, shooting at each other... Who said military duty couldn't be fun?). Anyway, one of the sergeants had managed to sign out a H&K MP-5 and loads of blanks for it... (Talk about big kid with a new toy. )
So he was firing it off every which way, until he suddenly called off the 'evening duty'. He told us to get back to the barracks, clean out our guns and not talk about who shot at who.

We later learned, through third parties, that he had accidentally held the MP-5 the exact same way as the AG-3, with the result that he gripped the flame dampener instead the forward grip, and the next time he shot, he burned his hand.
The fact that he hadn't yelled out in pain, or even shown any sign of discomfort when he dismissed us... well that'sthe stuff that legends grow from. We already respected him, and this didn't exactly lessen that.

So, yeah, blanks can hurt, and in extreme cases kill.

Like my Avatar?
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, only around four months later, the next chapter of Fire On High is up for your reading pleasure. Go read, enjoy, and drop a comment by if you'd care to.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks that Corrie could use a week off right now, maybe go catch some sun in Barbados?
Like my Avatar?
Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, could be, but I don't think her chopper can reach on one tank...

And the secretary did it with a gun in the ... err ... hmmm...(is there is 'office' in CLUE or is it the 'studio'?)
Kaeto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shure she can reach Barbados. She just has to go borrow a certain black and grey helicopter from Stringfellow Hawke.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or she could hitch a ride on a charter flight?
Like my Avatar?
EXan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaeto wrote:
Shure she can reach Barbados. She just has to go borrow a certain black and grey helicopter from Stringfellow Hawke.

AIRWOLF!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Cool Twisted Evil Very Happy

Sorry absolutely loved that series.

GooooooD story, nice twist in the murder case Smile

And I'm very curious about how Corrie is going to tell Alex...

It should be when they're together.. The mood is set... Calm music or backgrounds sound. Cuddled up together, her head on his chest listening to his heartbeat. She tells him in a whispering voice and he responds by wrapping his arms tighter around her and expressing his deepest love for her and then.....

WOW Shocked Sorry muses are singing like crazy... ^^

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan wrote:
Kaeto wrote:

AIRWOLF!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Cool Twisted Evil Very Happy

Sorry absolutely loved that series.

GooooooD story, nice twist in the murder case Smile

And I'm very curious about how Corrie is going to tell Alex...

It should be when they're together.. The mood is set... Calm music or backgrounds sound. Cuddled up together, her head on his chest listening to his heartbeat. She tells him in a whispering voice and he responds by wrapping his arms tighter around her and expressing his deepest love for her and then.....

WOW Shocked Sorry muses are singing like crazy... ^^

Very Happy heh, I'm glad these two engender such wishes for good things for them. Don't fret, there's still a lot of things to cover and a long way to go.

TM (P.S. Airwolf reference FTW! You guys rock!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 41 of 64

Jump to: