Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire On High
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan, welcome to the forum and to Fire On High. Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I know Detective Jeff Pardue seems a bit slow for a homicide detective, but he's faced with a very high profile victim, a suspect who has been presented to him practically gift wrapped, and this is probably, in a city the size and character of Cinci, only one case in a dozen he's working or assisting on at the moment. Do cut him some slack, he's still under development.

Mastifson is indeed a bit idiotic and two dimensional. Mostly due to the fact that his obsession is making him pretty much a one-trick pony. (No offense, Aslaug.) He overreaches all the time. If he'd had some patience, and didn't believe in his own superiority so much, he could have caused Alex and company myriad more problems. Instead of working on small-scale over time buildups, he wants to go straight to overkill, and does so without the proper ammunition. He's also a bit mad, as in going insane, in case everyone hadn't noticed. Most like that, unlike Hannibal Lecture and the super-genius madfolk, become less and less capable of separating their fantasy form reality. Mastifson has been on a steady downhill run since he became a squadron CO and really started to believe his own overblown self-created image.

Anyway, I will keep your comments in mind. I hope I have grown in my writing as I've gone along, and feedback like your comments are what instruct and challenge me to do better.

Keep flying, and reading!
TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pony? Comparing me to a PONY? One trick or not? Ooooh, I'm gonna ... *looks for grindstone*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we (they) need to find out is whether Biggs was shot with actual bullets or just a blank discharge (which can be fatal itself) and whether the prop gun is even capable of firing them instead of just blanks. And as Tia suggested, you don't stop with just one print on the presumed weapon, you check all of them.
EXan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right TM, It's part of his character. And I'm not expecting him to change into an evil mastermind, He fine as an unguided missle. always good for a laugh.
But you do it a bit too often (sorry to say). The Near assault on Tia and Jenna was a nice situation with alot of variables. Yes I'm a Hannibal Lecter kind of person in those situations.. I run hundreds of scenarios in my head on possible outcomes. usually It's quicker just to actually read it but in those cases I'm a banana short of a fruitcake. Razz

I've been reading your story for years aswell as Cris Foxx, Jame Bruner, Silver's and Aslaug's. (yes pony I'll come after you next... <insert scary theme music>) Razz

I don't know how you write but allow me to give you a tip as one writer to another. Just get a big A4 notepad and whenever you get an idea just write it down and after a little while just read it over and mold it into something nice and complex. *
It always works for me.. Though I always end up writing in the middle of the night... Current time here is 3:43... What can I say... I'm nearly a vampire... I've got the canines for it... :O

*(this is only aimed at the bad guys in the stories.. :O The entire situation with corrie is GREAT just give us readers some breadcrums we'll follow trust me) Razz

I better stop now before I actually find that banana...

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*mumblegrumbleponygrumblecomplainwetstonehissmumble*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be warned, some authors' plot-bunnies turn out to be real doozies. ^_~

I had one, recently, that needed the 'Holy Hand Grenade' to unravel. ^_^

Then, again, I've written computer program that thrived on obfuscation, yet worked better than something that followed the 'rules'.

So, EXan, you're right at home here ... quite a few of us have 'quirks' and 'habits' that set us apart from what normal is supposedly defined as.

Now I need to go back to figuring out a plot-point in a Sci-Fi story that I'm penning ... just exacty how does a three-strand version of DNA work. >.>

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan wrote:

I don't know how you write but allow me to give you a tip as one writer to another. Just get a big A4 notepad and whenever you get an idea just write it down and after a little while just read it over and mold it into something nice and complex. *

No, no, NO!

If it ain't pocketsized, it's no good!
A 4 x 6" or so, notepad is small enough to fit in a pocket, and that's important for those 'spur of the moment' things.
(I usually carry an old Psion S3c 'clamshell type' PDA for notetaking.)

Oh, and welcome to the insanity...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
EXan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karou WindStalker wrote:

Now I need to go back to figuring out a plot-point in a Sci-Fi story that I'm penning ... just exacty how does a three-strand version of DNA work. >.>

Easy. It depends on how you shape the base pairs and the number of them.
It's GC and AT for dual string. So are you going to make GCZ and ATX making. Or make three base pairs :O GCZ, ATX and YUV. The rest can work according to the same principals...

anthony wrote:

No, no, NO!

If it ain't pocketsized, it's no good!
A 4 x 6" or so, notepad is small enough to fit in a pocket, and that's important for those 'spur of the moment' things.
(I usually carry an old Psion S3c 'clamshell type' PDA for notetaking.)

BUt their so small the pages fill up so fast.... :S
And I don't like PDA's... Or better said... I like pen and paper better.... Scratching something out just gives a nice feeling.....
And scibbling in the side notes is a great stress reliefe Razz

Normal is boooooring!!!

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan, I'm more on the point of what possible sexes the species might be ... I mean, for example, in 'Dreamsnake' by Vonda McIntyre, the beings who are named in the title need to form triplets to successfully breed in the wild.

Now, does that mean there's a Femme, a Male, and a 'Host'? Or does it mean they're hermaphrodites and it's just by having mutuality that causes the production of eggs...?

Or is it something entirely different.

Yes, this is quite a bit of detail and science going into a fiction story, but, as I'm doing in Everything in its Own Season, having the reality adds a dimension to the story that I want. Just as TM does to his stories.

Then again, I grew up reading a whole slew of 'hard' SF, from authors such as Asimov, Pohl, Niven, and a few others... as well as more 'fantastic' SF...

My mind always looks for the 'what if' factor in stories, and I find myself wondering what might have happened to a few of the better written side characters.

As for taking notes ... I tend to use a variety of methods ... note pads, stationary pads, PDAs, and my laptop, depending on where I am at the moment.

Then the fun part comes when I transcribe from my notes to what I'm writing. Some times it seems as if what I do write just goes down on the page, straight from my mind, no notes written or needed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EXan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not DNA. Those are chromosomes and alleles. Big difference Razz

But still. The form of the DNA and the shape of the chromosomes aren't depended on eachother. The reason we have mostly X's is because of the way the cells divide during Meiosis.
As for X's and Y's. Life is strong and versatille, There are people with XXY and XYY in their 23rd pair. (though the most do show some problems.)

So unless you're going to describe the complex Dividing of cells you can just let your imagination take the reins. Smile

Hope this helps.

PS. Sorry TM for hijacking your thread... :O

Recap.. The triple helix structure would have no consequence on your characters I.E. Gendre or reproduction.
DNA is just information nothing more.. Smile

Last edited by EXan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frazikar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention - attention - Be on the look out for a filly with a big two-handed axe. If spotted, please leave the area quickly...

Note, if this filly is spotted carriing a spear and riding an oversized wolf, it been nice knowing you...

[Remember Sally (Passing Fad/Boots and Saddles)]??
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I have it from a good source that the filly is otherwise occupied at the moment...

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2003-07-18

In other words, she's now heading towards Norway to kill me instead...
Twisted Evil

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the indignity! First I'm a pony and now I'm a projectile weapon? *picks up Franciscas* I'm starting to feel like marinated lion for dinner!!
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, EXan. Good to see some lively discussion between chapters.

Karou, how about this for three sexes? male and female in typical sexual reproductive roles, up to the end of the first trimester. Then the fetus is transferred to the third gender, called Moda. The moda receives the fetus and finishes the pregnancy. The Moda is specifically made for childbirth and child-rearing, has four arms and four breasts., very keen wide-angle vision, radar-like hearing, and strong, sturdy legs. Their sense of smell is rather dulled.

Just throwin' out an idea. Anyway, back to writing.

Which, btw, EXan, my writing process consists of writing each chapter out longpaw in a spiral 5 subject notebook, including ideas and notes. I also work from an outline. Then I edit and refine as I type it into the computer. Next I listen to it with TextAloud and make more corrections. Then it goes to 3 proofers who proof-read for typos and grammar and such, and also watch for continuity gigs and such. Finally I convert is to html and post the sucker. So far I've never had a problem recalling an idea that struck me when there wasn't any paper around to jot it down on. I just roll it into the storyline that plays in the background of my mind all the time.

*blinks* What?

Laughing TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EXan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TTS program... Maybe I'll give that a try aswell Smile Thanks TM

Don't be mean Aslaug, you're a very cuddly projectile weapon pony Very Happy

-Running-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 37 of 64

Jump to: