Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books Tygon recommends

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Books Tygon recommends Reply with quote

In this topic I will post review on books I've read and recommend to others.

Please note that I don't really have the knowledge to judge if a book is good or not. My recommendations are based on if I like the book. If you think otherwise or have something to add I missed, please feel free to post it here.

The first subject is the Artemis Fowl series and will hopefully be posted within the next few days.

Nadan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I guess there aren't any good books out there =)

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadan wrote:

That would all depend on what you're into. I read a lot, but mostly at work, and what I read for pleasure most people prefer to read only for research purposes. In other words, History texts. YES, I read them for pleasure. Mua, hahahaha. Someone has to, and I find it interesting. Lots of correlations between historical events and current day events. Remember, History does NOT repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme.

On that note I highly recommend John Julius Norwich's three part "History of Byzantium" series.

Twisted Evil nobody said it had to be Sci-Fi or Fantasy or any other kind of literature. *snicker*

Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pflarrian wrote:

On that note I highly recommend John Julius Norwich's three part "History of Byzantium" series.

Ooh, gimme. Where can I find these musty tomes?

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pflar, sounds like you'd have something to discuss with Aslaug (history major).
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadan wrote:

I was discouraged when my game-review topic was met with less than positive response.

Nadan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
I was discouraged when my game-review topic was met with less than positive response.

I can understand. I've never really browsed your forum before, and I just saw this dangling end, so I thought I'd check what happened. Smile

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadan wrote:
Tygon wrote:

I can understand. I've never really browsed your forum before, and I just saw this dangling end, so I thought I'd check what happened. Smile

That's the downside of having a name that starts with a t. And continues with a y to make matters worse.

I might give it another try. I'm reading the second book in Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. Facinating books.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to read a scary "almost happened" RL book and what that event led to, I heartily recommend "Red Star Rogue", now out in paperback. A cabal within the highest reaches of the Soviet Union almost managed to fake a PRC nuclear attack on Pearl Harbor in 1968 but there were more failsafes in place than the plotters knew and the launching Golf-class submarine was sunk in the resulting explosion. The recovery of data from this submarine led, among other events, to Nixon's trip to China.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys get all the good books. i barely managed to get my hands on books 1 and 2 of eragon. other than that i am totally into online cause i can't get good books here. at least not in english and for some reason spanish authors don't write stuff i like (generally speaking).
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally every book store should be able to order any book with an ISBN, unless it is sold out of course.
Shadu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normaly being the key word. here you can't ask for whats not on the store cause you'll NORMALY get a we don't have that go somewhere else answer. bad way of doing business but its the only one i'm familiar with when it comes to books.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem. Maybe one of the amazon online stores can ship to you?
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadu wrote:
here you can't ask for whats not on the store cause you'll NORMALY get a we don't have that go somewhere else answer. bad way of doing business

Yeah, we get the same kind of answer from stores like Kmart or Pamida, even for a normal stock item when they're out of stock of a certain size, style or color.
Next time you get that kind of answer, try asking them why the supplier is preventing them from ordering what you want Wink

Shadu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
Shadu wrote:
here you can't ask for whats not on the store cause you'll NORMALY get a we don't have that go somewhere else answer. bad way of doing business

Yeah, we get the same kind of answer from stores like Kmart or Pamida, even for a normal stock item when they're out of stock of a certain size, style or color.
Next time you get that kind of answer, try asking them why the supplier is preventing them from ordering what you want Wink

trust me they don't care. Stores here are just dumb sometimes. the best ones manage to smarten up reall fast but i've yet to se a smart book store, though when i do they'll get all my book shopping.

now to answer Ty, Ther Eragon Books were purchased that way (as far as i know) but it still is hard because they use mostly PayPal and they banned Colombian credit cards. You can't susbscribe to Paypal with a Colombian card and the friend i know who was already a member can't upgrade to the special thing they have so he can't purchase everywhere only where they don't ask for that special thing. i don't know if the limitations spread to other online pay services but i do know he was only able to sign up in paypal when he did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tygon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: