Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP Problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What FTP client are you using?

Try disabling the multiple-transfer mode to see if that will help. It may not like the client trying to log in multiple times. As different FTP clients perform this in different ways, I would recommend disabling that feature to see if it's causing the disconnects.

Also, HTML files (as well as all other human-readable files, like TXT, XML, etc.) are best uploaded in ASCII.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
WS_FTP 8.

The problem happens with both the Pro and the Synchonize tool.
Whether I transfer multiple files or just that one file alone. Other html files do not fail, only that one file.

I have been using WS_FTP since I began the Bookshelf and it has always been set for Auto Detect. Resetting to ASCII only did not fail but what problems might that cause for other files - jpg, pdf, mp3...?

My regular transfers consist of html and pdf but may contain jpg and/or mp3 as well.

Okay. The latest version of Ipswitch WS_FTP I have used is 7.62, so my instructions may be a little different than what you may see.

Go to Options, Program Options, and click on the Extensions tab. There you will see where you can enter specific extensions that will be treated as ASCII when in Auto-Mode (as opposed to specifically setting ASCII or BINARY). Below is a good list of extensions known to be usually ASCII:

txt
css
htm
html
sht
shtm
shtml
pl
cgi
js
php
phps
sql

Now set the connection you use for Planetfurry (and possibly any other mirrors) to be in Auto-Mode, instead of specifically setting ASCII or BINARY.

That should do it.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Checked and mine only contained txt.

Added the rest of the list and tested the transfer, worked just fine this time.

Thanks.

BTW - Did you get my email about setting up http://www.raccoons-bookshelf.com to point to my PF site? It is still not responding.

Okay.

Yes, I believe I did, but I am in the middle of a massive backup/upgrade on my main system at home. It's really slow because I have to backup about 250GB of stuff to DVD-R. If I get the chance from work I'll try and get done what needs to be done.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
One other thing;

I notice that I cannot edit or delete my posts from this thread. The options are not here.

No, this forum only allows Moderators and Admins to edit or delete posts.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure not to upload the PDF files as ASCII. They are considered BINARY. That can cause problems too.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: