Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Contest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

While I'm working 4.1 amidst the slings and arrows of outrageous program goals, let's run another contest. This one should allow some challenge.

In 3.3, the sixth and final pic Lee took of Debbye was inspired by an album cover. The contest then is to identify musical artist[s], album, and cover artist. The prize is a cameo appearance in "From The Wings".

Good luck,
Cateagle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beau_wolff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cateagle:
The contest then is to identify musical artist[s], album, and cover artist.

Gads, man. Couldn't you have made it something easier? Say, perhaps, 'what were the last words spoken by C.M. Talleyrand-Perigord before making peace with the Church' or 'In the treaty of Kutschuk-Kainardja, what elements of the Bosphorus were included, what were excluded, and why' ... something like that would be reasonable, but this modern fascination with noise?

Feh.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Galadrion:
Well, with plenty of lead time, I might be able to track down the music and the musicians, but the cover artist? That knocks me out before I even get started... such things slip through my mind like water through air...

Chuckle, I can assure you that, if you find a picture of the album cover, you'll recognize the artist who produced it, a most recognizeable and well-known style

Cateagle

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: Cateagle ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Beau Wolff:
Gads, man. Couldn't you have made it something easier? Say, perhaps, 'what were the last words spoken by C.M. Talleyrand-Perigord before making peace with the Church' or 'In the treaty of Kutschuk-Kainardja, what elements of the Bosphorus were included, what were excluded, and why' ... something like that would be reasonable, but this modern fascination with noise?

It's not that unreasonable, it's from before thigns got truly cacaphonious in pop music. I'm sure that some will be able to determine it.

Cateagle
Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

Well, with plenty of lead time, I might be able to track down the music and the musicians, but the cover artist? That knocks me out before I even get started... such things slip through my mind like water through air...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

<sigh> I see so little interest in this contest. Perhaps I should drop another hint? Consider popular/rock music between 1975 and 1990.

Cateagle
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
<sigh> I see so little interest in this contest. Perhaps I should drop another hint? Consider popular/rock music between 1975 and 1990.

Cateagle

It's not that there is little interest, Cateagle. I myself would love to participate but I have no idea what album/group/artist it could be. The pose seems to be familiar, but if it's a rather know album the pose was most likely copied often.

Another point, I was a cub of 10 in the year 1990, so I'm not exactly familar with the music of that era.
beau_wolff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Perhaps I should drop another hint? Consider popular/rock music between 1975 and 1990.

Cateagle

A Hint? *That's* a HINT?

Yeesh!

I have an idea: whoever can give me a reason as to why Descartes' postulate (so commonly misquoted as 'I think, therefore I am') is both factually correct *and* incorrect has the honor of tossing a foam-rubber carp at Cateagle when we get to Anthrocon.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
I have an idea: whoever can give me a reason as to why Descartes' postulate (so commonly misquoted as 'I think, therefore I am') is both factually correct *and* incorrect has the honor of tossing a foam-rubber carp at Cateagle when we get to Anthrocon.

Under which system, perhaps, do you wish the proof of incorrect-ness? According to Korzybski(sp?), using "is" (or any of the variations thereof, such as "am" in this situation) implies a completeness that simply does not exist. Saying "I am" under Korzybski's rule comes across as basically meaningless. (One of these days, I am going to try the experiment of speaking and writing in English-Prime, Korzybski's invention that eschews the use of "is". Very hard to be judgemental, from what I've heard...)

The proof of correctness seems self-evident, to me. If one can make the statement, one obvious exists.

Kinsfire

...how's that for blowing smoke out certain bodily orifices?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

...also since a more precise translation is probably 'this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived by my mind', it implies that the mind or consciousness is deeply rooted within the confines of the human body.

Sorry, just enjoying a chance to let loose with a little quantum philosophy...

Kinsfire
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
A Hint? *That's* a HINT?

Yeesh!

Okay, I'll drop another hint. The artist is far better known for his work that has appeared elsewhere than for album covers. If I remember correctly, this album cover was also among his last works. I will also say that the cover artist is much better known than the performer[s].

Good luck,
Cateagle
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

Ok, i have several names:

could it be:
-Mati Klarwein (better known for his Santana covers, but he's too psychodelic.... i don't think it's him...

-Andy Warhol... naaah

-Salvador Dahli.... he did design a couple of record covers, honest!

..... ok, i tried *sob!*
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by El Maxx:
Ok, i have several names:

could it be:
-Mati Klarwein (better known for his Santana covers, but he's too psychodelic.... i don't think it's him...

-Andy Warhol... naaah

-Salvador Dahli.... he did design a couple of record covers, honest!

..... ok, i tried *sob!*

Nice try, Maxx, but you're aiming too "high brow". The artist in question ranks at the top of his popular specialty along with Gil Elvgren and George Petty. He's also associated, in the popular mind, with two periodicals in particular; at one fo which he replaced George Petty.

Oh, I'll throw in one other clue, it's "performers", as in "group".

Helpfully,
Cateagle

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Cateagle ]
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

Alberto Vargas... but lemme get the group... anyway AVargas i really am not sure if he did WWII pinup nose art for planes, but he worked on the Esquirer, and reached pinup pinacle fame on Playboy during the 60's and 70's. Some of his work also was featured on MGM, 20th century fox and WB, before the war... the album cover was for Candy-0 by the Cars.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: El Maxx ]
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Yet Another Contest Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by El Maxx:
Alberto Vargas... but lemme get the group... anyway AVargas i really am not sure if he did WWII pinup nose art for planes, but he worked on the Esquirer, and reached pinup pinacle fame on Playboy during the 60's and 70's. Some of his work also was featured on MGM, 20th century fox and WB, before the war... the album cover was for Candy-0 by the Cars.

Correct!! I can now reveal that one other person gave me the answer within hours of the contest starting, but asked me not to say anything to see if anyone else would get it. So, we have two winners: Maxx and Keith McComb.

In response to Maxx's statement, I don't believe Vargas did any nose art directly, but he clearly inspired a whole lot of it.

Cheers,
Cateagle

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Cateagle ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cateagle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: