Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Sing His Own Praises
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: To Sing His Own Praises Reply with quote

Twas’ a clear and pleasant morn that marked the start of this epic tale. The day was warm and sunny with a cool breeze blustering gently through the branches of the many green, leafy trees that comprised the neighboring forests of Leade and Tinderhook, the twins seperated by but a small stream that ran betwixt them. Such magnificent scenery almost begs for the presence of a poet or minstrel, one with the talent for the spoken word who could truly do justice to such a rich display of nature’s beauty.

And it just so happened that such a fellow could be found here, for walking along the stream was a young bard roughly twenty years in age, dressed finely in the cloak his father had given him as a birthday present; a memento from the patriarch's adventuring days.

This seemed appropriate as the young ferret was setting out now on adventures of his own. Obsessed with stories of warriors, wizards and rogues from the earliest days of his youth, he had studied the ways of all but had never had the attention span to focus on any particular class. Besides, it was the bards who told these great tales. Those greater and more reknowned minstrels were those fortunate enough to travel astride the hero of which they sang, such first-hand accounts told by a skillful tongue oftentimes grand enough to turn even the rowdiest din to fascinated silence.

This would more than do for many, even most, but not for him. For this lad sought not to further the fame of the famous. No, rather, he would do what no other bard before had done. HE would be the hero of the tales that sprang from his lips. And not just would he literally sing his own praises, the deeds he would accomplish and the infamy of his actions would be as such that none could argue his merit.

But there was so much to be done. He had to acquire vast wealth (perhaps from a dragon), collect great items of power and treasures of immeasurable value (also, perhaps, from a dragon), become truly infamous in the minds of all he met (slaying a dragon could certainly do that) and to win the heart of a fair princess (which Dragons are known to have around on occaision).

And as such he now made merrily along the babbling brook towards the city of Clu'mer, the town closest to the small fishing village in which he had been brought up. He regretted that he had to leave without notice of his best friends, particularly a blue-furred sorcerror and hulking Vulpine ranger with whom he'd spent the happier days of his young life. But this was the way it had to be, he reasoned, as help from others only draws more praise from the hero himself. His protected pockets and pouches and satchels filled with lock picks and healing herbs and trinkets and scrolls of varying value, indeed it did seem he was ready for anything.

"Trees! Bushes! Leaves! Lend your ears unto me! As I speak mine name now for all of you to hear, link it to coming History as thine roots are linked to the ground! For all the world shall soon learn the name of Robert D'Fale!"

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of vulpine ears picked up the ferret's boasts. The ears belonged to a rather tall and muscular vixen going by the name of Ellani T'gano, an exiled warrior from the Angrinn tribes of the south.

She rose from her camping site and carefully crept closer until she got a good view of the male.

'Let's see whether you will live up to your name...' she thought, barely suppressing a chuckle.

The vixen then unhooked her throwing hatchet from her belt and sent it hurtling towards the ferret. Her aim was good as always and the weapon flashed one foot in front of his nose, before embedding itself in a nearby tree.

• Name: Ellani T'gano
  • Species: Red fox
  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 209 lbs
  • Appearance: Standing proud, she looks like a force to be reckoned with. Her fur is mostly reddish-brown, with dark brown gloves and boots, and a yellowish white chest and tail-tip. Her hair is chestnut brown with one pure white streak and is tied in a pony-tail that reaches to between her shoulderblades. Her eyes have a rather odd colour, emerald green.
  • Character & Past: You'll have to find out.

Equipment
  • A pair of Runic warhammers (25 lbs each), both hammers inscribed with the Rune of Smithing, making them capable of crushing any non-magical material.
  • A throwing hatchet inscibed with the Rune of Return. This Rune gives the hatchet the power to return to her hand when she speaks the trigger word.
  • An armour suit made out of supple leather, consisting of a sleeveless jerkin, a skirt and boots.
  • A plated belt holding her weapons.
  • A backpack holding various odds and end, including a few sets of clothes, several days of trail rations, a tinderbox, some healing balms, a waterskin... in short, everything a seasoned adventurer has with him when (s)he's outdoors.

Current GB rating: 3750 GP (Silver Axe)
Current Guild Rating: 10/20

Beware... My battlecry

Last edited by Fluffybun on Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob stopped as he saw the hatchet bury itself into the tree scant a scant few inches in front of him, certainly surprised to have a blade thrown even that close to him. A turn of his head and a scan of the woods on the opposite side of the river answered whatever questions he might have had about the source, as the well-muscled vixen did nothing to conceal her presence.

Looking to her thoughtfully a moment with his lips pursed, he took one more look at the hatchet before speaking.

"Pardon me, Miss, but you seem to have misplaced your axe."

Name: Robert D'Fale
Species: Ferret
Height: 5’6
Weight: 140
Build: Light
Class: Bard
Alignment: Neutral Good

-Equipment: sling, rapier, +1 short sword (his father’s), Cloak of the Fool – Imbues the Wearer with remarkable ‘Dumb Luck’, allowing him to miraculously escape otherwise impossible situations.

-Carries with him a vast arrangement of smaller items and trinkets of debatable value, but his ability to barter effectively often allows him to sell or trade them for a good times number their worth.

-His larger satchel contains a small amount of food, including some breads and pastries baked by his mother. Along with that is several containers of an EXCEEDINGLY potent wine (as well as instructions for making it), given to him by his ranger friend.

-Smaller satchel on the other side contains a number of minor spell components as well as a decent number of spell scrolls that he hopes to memorize before reaching Clu'mer.

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellani blinked a few times in surprise and then smiled widely.

"I like your style, little man," she grinned, while standing up to her full height. "You've got more spirit in you than the last man who boasted like that."

She then raised one paw high in the air.

"RATOR!"

The hatchet shuddered a bit and then dislodged itself from the tree, flying back into her outstretched paw.

"Stay there while I get my gear, unless you don't want my company on your journey."

With that statement, the vixen disappeared back into the woods.

Beware... My battlecry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joshua Fox
Administrator

"Ah... ok," Rob acknowledged as he watched the Vixen dissappear into the wood. This certainly was an unexpected development, to say the least.

What was that story? He thought to himself as he stood and waited. The current situation reminded him of a tale his Uncle had told many times over a tankard of ale. Something about an adventurer encountering a helpless vixen in distress in the woods who asked to join him... and something else, but he couldn't remember the rest right now.

He whistled a little tune as his eyes fell upon the notch in the tree where the vixen's axe had struck it. She certainly didn't SEEM helpless to him. Nor did she seem to be in any kind of particular distress. And he hadn't wanted anyone else traveling with him, lest they steal his glory...

But no matter, he decided. A little company on the road to Clu'mer wouldn't be too great a burden, and they could always part ways once he found a grand quest upon which to embark.

Besides, she didn't look half bad in that armor...

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

"All set," Ellani yelled before stepping into view again, carrying a heavy backpack with her.

She stopped at the bank of the river and considered her options for a moment.

'Too deep to wade through...'

The vixen then unslung her backpack and threw it to the other side, before diving in the slow-flowing water and swimming to the opposite river bank, not in the least burdened by the weight of the weapons dangling from her belt.

She shook herself dry and then slung her pack over her back.

"So, where're you going on your own?" Ellani asked, her muzzle turned to Robert.

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Off down the stream to Clu'mer, actually," Rob explained as he reached into his cloak and removed a hankerchief, extending it to her so she could somewhat dry her muzzlefur. "As you may have surmised from my proclamation to my wooden friends here, I'm looking to carve my own niche in History and all that."

He took a moment to look down the river, mentally calculating how far he'd come and how far he'd yet have to go.

"It's about another two days trek, I estimate. A day and a half if we pick up a level from my current pace," He grinned now, patting one of the many pockets of his cloak filled with any variety of item. "Just in time for a few of the more notorious caravan leaders to arrive in town... familiar with the place?"

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks for the handkerchief," Ellani said as she took the handkerchief.

She quickly wiped her muzzle dry with the piece of cloth, and then handed it back.

"Familiar... maybe, maybe not. I’ve got a terrible memory when it comes to places," she said, smiling as she gave the ferret a thorough lookover. "Guess we’ll be spending the next two days together then, Robert."

"I don’t believe I introduced myself yet. Ellani T’gano, wandering warrior maiden. Pleased to meet you," the vixen finished, extending a paw.

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

"Pleasure's all mine," Rob smiled as he shook her paw, his other one returning the moistend hankerchief to it's pocket. "Don't worry too much about the city. As long as you suspect everyone is a sneak thief, you'll get through just fine. I'll even show you a few of the more important areas when we arrive."

And with that they set off down the way that Rob had previously been taking, him to the riverside and her towards the trees, slowly drying off from her impromptu dip in the stream.

"So..." Rob began after a moment or two, certainly not wanting to seem rude or stand-offish to his knew companion. "I must admit I haven't met many 'wandering warrior maidens' before... any, in fact. What brought you to this occupation?"

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

Ellani sighed deeply when the ferret asked that question.

"That is something I do not like to discuss, little man," she finally answered with a hint of sadness in her voice, before she continued in a lighter tone.

"I'm not very surprised that you haven't seen one of my kind before. For starters, there are only a few female warriors who go adventuring in the wild, and second, you don't look like you've travelled a lot. So, may I ask what made you set off towards new places?"

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The call of Destiny, perhaps?" Rob grinned and spread his arms, chuckling a bit as he continued. "I've been meaning to set off for some time now. My Father was an adventurer in his youth, as well as both my Uncles, and I've heard more than enough stories over my lifetime to fill any tome. I figure it's about time I made a few stories of my own."

With more than a touch of personal flair he whipped out his rapier and short sword, poking and swiping the air before him now and again in a manner familiar to any who've heard tales of swashbuckling and such.

"Fame, Money, Treasure and the Love of a Princess," Rob winked as he sheathed the weapons again smoothly, following a fancy twirl of the blades. "All that which makes for a rousing tale. For the time being, these are my main instruments of adventure. What tools do your feminine fingers bear? Besides the occaisional axe, that is."

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

"A sweet talker, are you?" Ellani chuckled. "And one with very high aims I must add. Money and trasure are the easiest to get. It's keeping hold of it that's the trick."

"The rest of your goals..." she continued in a slight patronising tone. "You might achieve them... if you don't end up chopped in pieces or devoured by some giant beast."

"As for my tools of the trade, I'm able to take on most furs bare-pawed," the vixen finished and pointed to the hammers danging from her belt. "And if that's not an option, I use my trusted warhammers."

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

"All weapons most potent I'm sure," Rob nodded approvingly with a grin as he puffed out his chest. "But you'd need not worry about me meeting an early end, Ms. T'gano. For along with blades, I've some sorcery as well!"

He took the moment to speak a simple cantrip and send a ball of colored light up to the sky, crackling at the delightful little explosion of color.

"Addmittedly silly things like that are just for show, but I'm learning some more useful spells as well," Rob smiled reassuringly as he showed her the satchel carrying his scrolls. "Given a little time, I'll have nothing to fear."

It was then that her comment of taking most furs bare-fisted set off a trigger in his mind, causing him to chuckle more than a tad as they ventured forth, walking many hours until the darkness crept over the forest from above them.

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorcery, huh? That could prove interesting," Ellani mused and smiled appreciatively at his cantrip. "Very nice. And, call me Ellani, okay?"

She raised her eyebrow at his comment about fear.

"Be careful, Robert, only a fool or a maniac fears nothing. I've already seen a few things that can make the bravest furs cringe in terror."

The vixen had taken a liking for the ferret walking next to her. He reminded her a bit of her younger brother, the weakest of the family, but a bold spirit nevertheless.

By the fall of darkness, she was scanning the woods for a good place to camp, and suddenly pointed to a clearing not far from the path they were trodding.

"I suggest we camp there."

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I agree with your suggestion, Ellani. This is the first decent clearing I've found since I left the village," Rob said with some degree of relief as they moved towards it. "It will be good to get some rest."

It didn't take long for them to settle down. Timber was collected and a fire was started, thanks to a handy low-level fire spell from Rob. Out of his satchel he produced the hankerchief, now dried, and set on it several fluffy, delicious pastries and a leather flask filled with wine, offering them to Ellani as he sat next to her by the fire.

"Sweet?"

"This is PNN".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fluffybun All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: