Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spammer Attacks

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Spammer Attacks Reply with quote

Planetfurry's mail server and probably several email accounts residing on it (including mine) were just slammed by a spammer. I received at least 50 messages from this idiot, all being 197k in size with a virus attached.

Since I of course don't use Windows to read email, nothing happened except for speed loss for my internet connection.

However, some people that have Planetfurry email accounts that use Outlook or Outlook Express (or any other Windoze email client) may possibly be infected.

Please run an anti-virus utility as soon as possible if you received the following message:

code:
Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Received: from pfweb.planetfurry.com (root@localhost) by planetfurry.com
(8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id g2PMOaq05115 for <[email protected]>;
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:24:36 -0500
X-ClientAddr: 207.217.120.49
Received: from scaup.prod.itd.earthlink.net (scaup.mail.pas.earthlink.net
[207.217.120.49]) by pfweb.planetfurry.com (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id
g2PMOYS05110 for <[email protected]>; Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:24:34 -0500
Received: from user-38lc25m.dialup.mindspring.com ([209.86.8.182]
helo=default) by scaup.prod.itd.earthlink.net with smtp (Exim 3.33 #1) id
16pcyF-0001rI-00 for [email protected]; Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:29:44
To: [email protected]
Subject: fate is only a four letter word ch
date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:30:44 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----2CFE90C0_Outlook_Express_message_boundary"
Content-Disposition: Multipart message
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
X-Evolution-Source:
pop://whiplash%[email protected]/inbox

------2CFE90C0_Outlook_Express_message_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: message text

Hi! How are you?
=20
This is the file with the information that you ask for
=20
See you later. Thanks

------2CFE90C0_Outlook_Express_message_boundary
Content-Type: application/mixed; name="fate is only a four letter word ch.11.doc.lnk"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="fate is only a four letter word ch.11.doc.lnk"

Spamming will not be tolerated on Planetfurry. Any one sending spam to or from a Planetfurry or affiliated address will be blacklisted and their ISP's notified.

The address that has been blacklisted is:

[email protected]
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: knows the virus Reply with quote

I've recieved that file type before, it eats the memory forcing your computer to constantly crash, and/or forces auto shutdown on laptops. Nasty little program that is, Mcaffre has the anti-virus for that programing type on it's databank for net mcaffre users and the downloadable update for it's none net anti-virus program users. The virus takes five minutes to completely overload the system before it restarts running itself over and over again creating a drain on memory. I would do exactly as Whip says else your totally screwed.
If anyone doesn't have an anti-virus program goto www.simtel.com they have a large gathering of self updating anti-virus programs there for free, or with a minimal charge like 15 bucks depending on the program and it's designers team. But that should work for until you can find something else or have a spare computer handy to get it just incase your system has been infected. Later SkunkFox

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rava

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you can do if you have a virus that wont allow you to install an anti-virus is use www.housecall.antivirus.com By the makers of PC cillion. It will run an antivirus scan for you for free. You just have to watch their ads while you do it Smile

Small price to pay right Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: