Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scarlet Edge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Scarlet Edge Reply with quote

For those curious as to just what Scarlet Edge is, well, if you go to my site, look under the brand new drop down menu for Catspaw, you'll see Chapter 1 of a story called (wait for it...) Scarlet Edge.

She wants to know whether or not the people here on PF think it's worth continuing. My answer is a resounding yes, but I'm married to her, so that counts as a bias.

So, go look at it, and then come back here and tell me whether or not she should continue it. She's a member of PF as well, so she'll see the messages too.

beau_wolff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Scarlet Edge Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
She wants to know whether or not the people here on PF think it's worth continuing.

Brava! Brava!

Encore!

MORE!
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Shocked Well, considering the theme of the story, let me put it like this:

It would be a crime not to continue it. Wink

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

Interesting beginning...
(hoping for a continuation)

Reminds me somewhat of the 'SCABS' stories.
(See Miavir)

So, yeah, I'm waiting for chapter 2...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Lyrantan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is Scarlet Edge worth continuing, yep, I think so...

It does remind one of the Blind Pig universe due to the 'sickness' then mutation relayed from Blazer. (A milder version was from Shanda Comics, it just had a slow transformation after a mild illness, I think... man it times like this when you know the title of something and you can't recall it, oh well).

Hopefully a bit more on the background will show up in 2 or 3...
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Continue the story? Reply with quote

This

story

must

continue!!!!

Catspaw- you *cannot* let this story go unfinished! Chapter One doesn't read to me like a stand-alone, so you have to do something to further it. The story has the potential to go on for quite sometime, even beyond the current bit of mystery- one could delve into the background of the furrs in the story, of how and when things started, whether or not the events that changed folks are *still* happening-- could be a governmental subplot regarding illegal testing, or not- could simply be a random evolution-- could go on to discuss what good- or bad- happens to those gifted with the ability of fur, or of those who associate themselves with those said gifted people== there is so much potential here- it needs to be tapped!!!

Please continue the story!!! I must have more!!! Laughing

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Catspaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay okay okay! There will be more!

This was chapter 1 of a project I started years ago with the late Deal Whitley. Dunno if any of you know anything about him, he died in August of 1992. He had a basic idea for the world and story, but he had holes in it you could drive a truck through, so we were patching them together. I wrote Chapter 1 as a surprise for him and then we were working on Chapter 2, when he suffered an untimely death from complications of sickle cell disease. I sort of put it all on the shelf after that, but it's been lurking in my computer (and the back of my brain) all this time.

I seem to have misplaced all of my background notes, so I'll have to reconstruct those - everything would have to be updated twelve years anyway. Suffice it to say that in this world, there was a lot more biotech development than computer tech (there really are only about six computers in this world ... but they're big) and it lead to the creation of a synthetic disease which introduced animal characteristics into the human genome. This has lead to certain social changes in the U.S., namely the sudden creation of a new underclass, but an underclass many of whose members had once been members of the upper classes and who are not taking it very easily. The disease is no longer actively spread, but is sometimes deliberately induced as a treatment for diseases which would otherwise be fatal - such as Blazer McKenzie's terminal lung cancer. The disease basically reshapes the human body, repairing a lot of incidental damage in the process (it's also a treatment for terminal old age ... there will be even more social upheaval there, as the possibilities of an additional 50-60 years of life sink in ...)

And just to make it clear, I know nothing of Blind Pigs nor Scabs. At the time I started writing this, cyberpunk was the big thing; this is biopunk with sort of a film noir atmosphere.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do continue it. While there are some similarities to the "Blind Pig/SCABS" story-verse, you and Dean where there first and significant differences also exist.

Best regards,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catspaw wrote:
okay okay okay! There will be more!

Great!

Quote:
And just to make it clear, I know nothing of Blind Pigs nor Scabs. At the time I started writing this, cyberpunk was the big thing; this is biopunk with sort of a film noir atmosphere.

The similarities are mostly superficial; you all have a disease that transforms humans into anthropomorphic versions of animals, but in your case it's artificial.
In both Scabs and your storyline the transformed are outcasts of society.
(Can't say too much about the Blind Pig universe since I haven't read too much of that)
Also, while most Scabs and Blind Pig stories seems to deal with the individual, we can see already that your story is focusing on the larger picture.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Smile

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Iron_Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer blood runs through your veins like a pair of giant radioactive pants! THe pants command you! WRITE! ^_^
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
In both Scabs and your storyline the transformed are outcasts of society. (Can't say too much about the Blind Pig universe since I haven't read too much of that)

SCABS = Blind Pig Universe; a lot of the early stories centered around The Blind Pig.

(I should know, I've read 'em all Very Happy )

Cateagle

Last edited by Cateagle on Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Catspaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Giant radioactive pants" ?!? Shocked

You haven't quite recovered from those Anthrocon hallucinations, have you?
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've lost him to his hallucinations.

fuzzy?
Iron_Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant.... pants... yes... giant POOFY pants! oh my GOD! MC Hammer is back from the dead!!!

X'D Ok, that's it.. no more Invader Zim for me. Very Happy

Furry wolf2001b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
anthony wrote:
In both Scabs and your storyline the transformed are outcasts of society. (Can't say too much about the Blind Pig universe since I haven't read too much of that)

SCABS = Blind Pig Universe; a lot of the early stories centered around The Blind Pig.

(I should know, I've read 'em all Very Happy )

Cateagle

Scabs in the blind pig universe is an virus kinda thing broght back from a mars misssion.
(See movie: species2)
I hawe read some of them and while most were good in its way most (99%) were depressing anghsty stuff witch left a bad taste in your mouth.
(it is what i remember anny way...)
But there are a lot of furry writers who hawe used the virus changing thingie.
And it isent anny thing wrong with thath.
Will head ower and read it now. Laughing
But i hawe a feeling i will like it already. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: