Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A contest, of sorts, for the Gold Digger story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: A contest, of sorts, for the Gold Digger story Reply with quote

Here's the rules:

I'm posting an abortive attempt at In the Storm's Wake Chapter 11 here (it's that small, it'll easily fit in the thread).

You take that, and write your own. It's an idea of the guy's mental processes. All I ask is that you keep it within the realm of what I've already written, and don't throw me too big a loop when finished. E-mail me your chapter in RTF or DOC format at [email protected], and the chapter I like best will become part of the 'official' Kevin Macomber Gold Digger canon. (Not much of a prize, I admit, but it should allow me to get on with the darn story - I can't go anywhere until Chapter 11 is written.

The last day of this contest is exactly one year from when I posted Chapter 9: Thursday, September 11, 2003. Anything received after 11:59 PM will not be accepted for the contest. (i.e. - if the clock has ticked over to 9/12/2003, you're SOL.)

So, here's the chapter that I started to write:

==================

So you want to know who I am. I can tell you all the standard stuff, like that I’m five-foot-eleven-inches tall, with light brown hair and hazel eyes, 200 pounds - all that jazz. I’d imagine you’d rather know my psych profile instead, though.

Good trick, really, since I don’t know it all that well myself. I grew up in Texas, on a ranch, and I’ve known how to handle a firearm since I was old enough to understand what two plus two equals, especially with sufficiently large enough values of two.

Sorry - that was supposed to be a joke. Oh, good, you got it. I’m just having a tough time trying to figure out how to describe myself, and why I decided that I’m going to be your bodyguard, whether or not you want me to be.

Actually, that last is the easiest to explain. I know it sounds a little crazy, but when I saw that ... experience of yours on the eleventh, I knew you were going to need protecting, because there are nutcases on both sides of the issue who will want you out of the way. That’s not the crazy part, though. The crazy part is that I heard a woman’s voice inside my head saying, “That’s your mission. Protect him until he no longer needs it.”

You don’t seem surprised. Then again, given the eleventh and what just happened out there, I’d say that my explanation was nothing special to you. Oh, you know telepaths, as well. No wonder a voice in your head doesn’t really surprise you.

==================

You'll note I didn't give him a name. Feel free to name him.

Go to it!

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - just to make it clear:

NONE of what I wrote above has to be used. Use it all if you want, or use none of it.

Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... idea generator rumbling on-line, check. Background for this - well, any excuse to reread your work is a good one. Check. A shot at helping you break your writer's block, check. A shot at breaking my writer's block, BIG check!

Right... all systems on-line; status board is green... it's a go, sir. I'll give it a shot. No promises, but I should have a progress report in the not-too-distant future.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - a couple things came to mind concerning this. Again - careful with throwing a loop into the story - don't make it one that you know could easily overwhelm the story.

No killing any of the characters alive at the end of Chapter 10 off - I have plans for all of them, even if it might include killing one or many of them in Chapter 12. (Not necessarily a spoiler...)

Also, KS (Kevin's Sniper) is willing to go against Kevin if he thinks it's in Kevin's best interests. That's a must - I have a use for that tendency coming up...(heh-heh-heh... Twisted Evil )

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I just thought of something:

I'm talking Eastern Time when I refer to the moment this contest ends. If you're on the West Coast (like Oregon, where I know a couple of my potential submitters are), then you had best get it moving on its way to me by 9 PM YOUR time. (I doubt I have fans in Hawai'i.)

If you're east of me, timezone-wise, then it's probably best to assume midnight YOUR time. (Unless you're really into doing the conversion...LOL)

Just thought that needed clearing up.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning:

As of the writing of this message, you have 8 days and roughly 7 hours to finish your chapters and get them to me.

So far, there is only one who has sent a submission.

If there are no others, that one would win by default.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clock is ticking down, folks. If anyone other than the first writer has sent me their chapter, then the internet has eaten it, and they need to resend it. Remember, if my e-mail shows that I received it after the clock has ticked over to Friday the 12th, then I won't consider it. It's the 9th now - you have two more days to get you submissions in.

...tick-tick-tick...

...no pressure...

...tick-tick-tick...

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
The clock is ticking down, folks. If anyone other than the first writer has sent me their chapter, then the internet has eaten it, and they need to resend it. Remember, if my e-mail shows that I received it after the clock has ticked over to Friday the 12th, then I won't consider it. It's the 9th now - you have two more days to get you submissions in.

...tick-tick-tick...

...no pressure...

...tick-tick-tick...

::key background music from Jeopardy::

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy.

I have two and a half replies.

The half was excellent - the writer simply didn't have the time to finish it.

For that matter, the two complete ones are so good that I now have the trouble of actually figuring out which one is better! I lean in one direction on one read-through, but the next read-through I see something I hadn't noticed before that tips the scales back. This is NOT going to be a quick thing to choose between them...just wanted you to know that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: