Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well... more of a warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Well... more of a warning Reply with quote

There's supposed to be a mass hacker contest starting at 6:00 Sunday to see who can deface the most websites.

I'd recommend you batten down the hatches, Whip...

Drauger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a rather pointless,mean, and stupid contest. If anything happens that I can help with I'll do it but I suck at computers, just a warning.
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time zone at 6:00?
Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central I'd bet.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm advanced in computer networks and security, so if you guys need any help, i'm here for you Wink
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry your tails my friend! These people must be extreme newbies.. they put there real contact info for billing info!

Registrant:
of, Day (TPEEWXQFBD)
11 Albert Rd
AMITYVILLE, NY 11701
US

Domain Name: DEFACERS-CHALLENGE.COM

Administrative Contact:
of, Day (35473296P) [email protected]
11 Albert Rd
AMITYVILLE, NY 11701
US
(631) 842-5471
Technical Contact:
Affinity Hosting, LLC (TS1126-ORG) [email protected]
16611 S. Vermont Ave
Gardena, CA 90247
US
310-354-2626 fax: 310-354-1592

Record expires on 21-Jun-2004.
Record created on 21-Jun-2003.
Database last updated on 5-Jul-2003 18:28:24 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM 64.94.117.195
NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM 216.52.121.228
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known about this "contest" since July 2nd.

I've taken a lot of effort in locking down the server since last December. Although I do expect a lot of attempts to break in, I highly doubt they'll be able to get in very far.

I do recommend that everyone change their passwords to be as cryptic as possible, though easy enough for you to remember. The crackers won't only go after the primary servers, which usually host several sites, but the individual sites, personal websites, etc., as well.

These "script kiddies" aren't usually too bright, though. They like to use tools and scripts created by other, smarter hackers. Rarely you will find one that actually knows what they are doing. They just want to do it to be cool in front of their friends, peers, and the hacker community at large, just to get recognition.

This is a childish attempt to gain a reputation and attention, though usually ending up with innocent website owners left to pick up the pieces while the crackers get a few good laughs.

Any attempt, both successful or not, will be faced with blacklisting, ISP notification, and possible sever legal action. Behaviour of this nature is simply unacceptable, and will not go unpunished.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:nite: wrote:
Don't worry your tails my friend! These people must be extreme newbies.. they put there real contact info for billing info!

I doubt all of that is real information. The host, maybe, but the other contact information might as well be fake.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malicious hacking is in fact looked down upon by superior (whitehat) hackers. These vandals (should not even be addressed as hackers, only as script kiddies, at whip said), are what give whitehats like myself a bad wrap. We whitehats don't break into systems and destroy. They try to see how easy a server can be broken into, then tell the admins of any exploits or vulnerabilities in their system so they can fix the problems.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
:nite: wrote:

I doubt all of that is real information. The host, maybe, but the other contact information might as well be fake.

Quite possible, but even if it is, the web service there using has there IPs logged, and there always be a way to trace them.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Mine have always been cryptic. Random characters and I won't say more than that.

But I also have a complete copy of my Bookshelf on local drives so it can be fairly easily replaced.

Good. Smile I recommend everyone else do the same. I can only make full backups every so often, so make sure you've got a backup of your own site, email, etc.
Drauger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means a computer expert at all, I can't even find problems in my own system to solve. But my code is pretty safe unless they are total LOTR freaks and know as much as me, this is maybe one in every 3,000 people, so I feel safe. If it does happen I'll be glad to do anything possiable to help, yet once again I am bad at computer stuff. If police don't do anything, really bad cops where I live, I'll be glad to pound their heads in for you Whip. I'm not really a mean person but I hate it when people just randomly destroy stuff, especially if it rocks like this site.
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, lets see.

Just to be boring, I'm gonna make the systems open

I have a complete copy of all of it...sooo
NBD

and I've been dying to redo the server anyway.

Feh

Smile

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joke. Very Happy Looks like the twerp who started this "contest" didn't get as many people to play along. And if you look at their site promoting the event, I wouldn't blame them. Wink

Out of all the servers I maintain, only one even had a scan attack, lame as it was (it was blocked before the attacker even got a response back Laughing ). The rest of the "attacks" were all the typical DoD and old IIS vulnerability attacks... which of course didn't work for reasons that are pretty obvious. Very Happy
Drauger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I don't have to go pound some heads then. Well enjoy, oh yeah how do people attack and you defend on this computer thingy?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: