Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hortmage:
Howdy!

Longtime lurker, first time poster (on this forum, anyway).

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to view some of the animated clips from Eric Schwart's web sites. These appear to be based on something called Animet, and they all have a " .lha " suffix.

The file seems to download OK -- I can find it on my hard drive. But I can't seem to run it.

I am not using an Amiga, but a PC.

IF anyone can provide some guidance, could you drop me a line? If this is a really off-topic post, e-mail me directly at: [email protected] (or post a reply here, if you think others could use this info).

BTW: I did e-mail Eric directly about this a couple of months ago, and have never heard a reply....

Many thanks!

Hey! I can help you in that department. If you like, I can send you “rebuilt” versions of Eric’s MovieSetter based animations. Just mail me if you’re still interested.

Fox
----------
What the Fox said is final. End of discussion!
Aww Man!!
¿y ahora dónde lo he puesto?
Hortmage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Howdy!

Longtime lurker, first time poster (on this forum, anyway).

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to view some of the animated clips from Eric Schwart's web sites. These appear to be based on something called Animet, and they all have a " .lha " suffix.

The file seems to download OK -- I can find it on my hard drive. But I can't seem to run it.

I am not using an Amiga, but a PC.

IF anyone can provide some guidance, could you drop me a line? If this is a really off-topic post, e-mail me directly at: [email protected] (or post a reply here, if you think others could use this info).

BTW: I did e-mail Eric directly about this a couple of months ago, and have never heard a reply....

Many thanks!
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

I've converted the Sabrina animation. I'll try and get it uploaded sometime. It's in and MPEG format.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whip-lash:
I've converted the Sabrina animation. I'll try and get it uploaded sometime. It's in and MPEG format.

No wait! Don’t! Why use MPEG while you can playback the original Movie Setter animations? They’re much smaller in size and besides the actual individual quality are far greater than a scruffy MPEG video! So take my word! I’ve gone through the trouble reassembling the original animations audio and scenery. Plus I have a Windorks compatible MSET player that will play these anim files on ANY Winshark box.

I’ll even send you some of the animations… All you have to do is ask.

This is a list of animations that I have assembled:
*Amy vs. the Walker
*AT the movies 1 completed no. 2 still WIP
*The dating game
*A day at the beach
*Plight of an Artist
*Quality Time
*POGO
*RunWall
*Tordog

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Fox ]
Hortmage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I'm going to try to look for that ZipMagic program that Mike Regan mentioned. If I can't find (or use) it, I'll take you up on your offer, Ryan.
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Fox:
No wait! Don’t! Why use MPEG while you can playback the original Movie Setter animations? They’re much smaller in size and besides the actual individual quality are far greater than a scruffy MPEG video! So take my word! I’ve gone through the trouble reassembling the original animations audio and scenery. Plus I have a Windorks compatible MSET player that will play these anim files on ANY Winshark box.

I’ll even send you some of the animations… All you have to do is ask.

I've got 'em. I converted "Plight of an Artist" to MPEG format using WinMP 2.0, capturing each frame to a image file, and rebuilding it inside of Adobe Premier. I captured the audio as well (a little out of sync in one area, though). The whole process took several hours, but it allowed the animation to be a little more portable, in a way. I could also watch it on my Linux box, or on a VideoCD. If I wanted to stream it with RealAudio, I just have to pass it through the converter.

A feature that would help WinMP out would be an embedded unarchiving program that will open LHA, ZIP, TAR, GZ, or whatever the animation is stored in, so you don't have files all over the place.

Great program, but missing a few little things (like the ability to export .
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Why do you have to make life sooo difficult for yourself Whip!
I’ve already converted most of them to MPEG. The problem is that I’m a quality fanatic!
To me quality is a must, but there’s one problem with quality… and that’s the file size. My conversions and exports range from 400 to 700mb in size. So a 50mb MPEG file is just not on. It takes too friggin long to download.
So… I’ve taken my 250MB DAT file and converted it to realplayer format. You won’t believe what you can do with a mere 5MB!!
Click here to download Plight of an Artist

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Fox ]
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Already got that one. Can't you link to some others too... please?
Hortmage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
Why do you have to make life sooo difficult for yourself Whip!
I’ve already converted most of them to MPEG. The problem is that I’m a quality fanatic!
To me quality is a must, but there’s one problem with quality… and that’s the file size. My conversions and exports range from 400 to 700mb in size. So a 50mb MPEG file is just not on. It takes too friggin long to download.
So… I’ve taken my 250MB DAT file and converted it to realplayer format. You won’t believe what you can do with a mere 5MB!!
Click here to download Plight of an Artist

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Fox ]

Oh my. I had NO idea what a can of worms I was opening with this request! I (mistakenly) assumed it was just a case of open and play -- I had NO idea it was so complicated!

BTW: I tried to play Ryan's link -- it'll go for 15 to 20 seconds, and then rebuffer (I'm trying to do this on a 56K modem, if that is a problem). I'll try again later, and if needed, try this on my office T-1 line....

If all of these animations require that much prep time to play, I may just forget about the rest of Eric's works....

Thanks again, Ryan!
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Ryan blinks and stares blankly at the screen…” OH sh…!!”

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Fox ]
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hortmage:
[qb]
Oh my. I had NO idea what a can of worms I was opening with this request! I (mistakenly) assumed it was just a case of open and play -- I had NO idea it was so complicated!

BTW: I tried to play Ryan's link -- it'll go for 15 to 20 seconds, and then rebuffer (I'm trying to do this on a 56K modem, if that is a problem). I'll try again later, and if needed, try this on my office T-1 line....

If all of these animations require that much prep time to play, I may just forget about the rest of Eric's works....

Thanks again, Ryan!

You know... Just right click and save as. Don't stream it directly from PF!
You! You have to download the file first!
Aaaagh!!!

AHEM
If you’re planning to open it directly you’ll need a minimum of a 256kbps connection. Try saving the file to the hard drive first. Only ID10T or DFU’s will try to play a 220kbps file with a 56kbps modem directly.

I should have warned you! My mistake…
Here's the link again...

Download Plight of the Artist
Hortmage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

Only ID10T or DFU’s will try to play a 220kbps file with a 56kbps modem directly.

Well, at least I fulfilled one of my life's goals -- to provide endless amusement for my fellow man!

While apparently not as advanced a computer guru as some, I still consider myself slightly above the idiot or dufus level. In my day job, I go out of my way to share information, making it as easy as possible for my clientele to access it.

It kinda boggles my mind that a high caliber artist, such as Eric Schwartz, who writes/draws about computer users, would dangle his artwork (animated) on his web site, and make it nigh on impossible for the average fan to download it.

It also hurts a little to have someone offer a LINK to a reformatted version of said animation, only to chortle when someone innocently clicks on said LINK and bogs down his computer....

Hortmage sniffles a little, and gathers what shreds of dignity he has left.

Thanks anyway, folks.... I didn't really NEED to see those strips....

Hortmage slowly exits the forum, dropping wilted leaves in his wake....
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
[qb]Only ID10T or DFU’s will try to play a 220kbps file with a 56kbps modem directly.

Well, at least I fulfilled one of my life's goals -- to provide endless amusement for my fellow man!

While apparently not as advanced a computer guru as some, I still consider myself slightly above the idiot or dufus level. In my day job, I go out of my way to share information, making it as easy as possible for my clientele to access it.

It kinda boggles my mind that a high caliber artist, such as Eric Schwartz, who writes/draws about computer users, would dangle his artwork (animated) on his web site, and make it nigh on impossible for the average fan to download it.

It also hurts a little to have someone offer a LINK to a reformatted version of said animation, only to chortle when someone innocently clicks on said LINK and bogs down his computer....

Oh! Man! What have I done!
I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to be nasty or anything,none of that was… it’s just that… *Sighs*
It was late and I had fried egg for brains…
I’ll try to nicer to those who are not as experienced as I am. Again I apologize for throwing the goods at you…
What would you like me to do? What do you prefer?
Tell me… and I’ll provide it.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

quote:
[qb]Only ID10T or DFU’s will try to play a 220kbps file with a 56kbps modem directly.

Oh! Man! What have I done!
I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to be nasty or anything,none of that was… it’s just that… *Sighs*
It was late and I had fried egg for brains…
I’ll try to nicer to those who are not as experienced as I am. Again I apologize for throwing the goods at you…
What would you like me to do? What do you prefer?
Tell me… and I’ll provide it.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: OT: Eric Schwartz's Animations Reply with quote

OH No!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: