Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 12 hold on to your socks...:)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Chapter 12 hold on to your socks...:) Reply with quote

Chapter 12: Origin

Tarra: Midmorning

Afain liked the balcony, it was a peaceful spot. The pink, tranquil sky was a peaceful reminder that life went on no matter what happened on Tarra. In the distance she could see one of the huge airships that frequented the skies of this world. It was a beautiful sight; she wished she had her vid. Today Afain's thoughts were split between the outside world and what Kira was explaining behind her. It really didn't matter to her what had transpired the night before, Kira and Lyja were safe.

That's all that really mattered to her. She was thinking like a bearer now, she had heard about some of the changes brought about by pregnancy: now she knew about them personally.
Taking a deep breath she sighed and turned her full attention to Kira as she came back into the kitchen and sat down. The green furred Zargozian looked unkempt and very tired.

With all the information that Kira was spewing, Afain had an unpleasant thought, "Kira does this mean the ship's records are now corrupted and I should tell the emperor that this is a futile effort?"
Kira stared at Afain, her emotions stirred, even though tired she still got tingly around her, "I'm not really sure Afain, maybe Lyja would know more."
Afain thought that was a very good idea and turned her head to address the small sphere floating near by. "Cleo; find Lyja and ask her if she can spare some time to talk with us."
The small sphere said nothing but took off in search of her.

Now that the small device was out of hearing range Kira thought it best to pose a question to Afain. "Have you noticed a change in Cleo?" Kira inquired.
"Yes, many in fact."
Kira was a bit surprised by her answer, "Do you think it's a good thing?"
"I haven't had any problems with it." she paused, "It…I mean Cleo has my complete trust."
"I trust Cleo too but I've worked with organics before, Cleo is radically different and is evolving very quickly. That, I'm not sure is a good thing."
"You think it could falter."
"Yes…I believe so, organics are slow to process things especially new ones. Old ones are temperamental things, they don't respond too well to new commands. They think on a higher level than we do, for an older organic to interface with us becomes a chore for it. Cleo is quick to respond, learning and interpreting what I want of it. It likes to talk with us which is very different from what I'm used to."
"Yes that has happened to me…I." She stopped for Cleo had returned with Lyja in tow.
Seems they would have to finish the conversation another time.

The colourful Zargozian came quietly into view, "Hello Lyja, I hope we didn't disturb you." Afain greeted her as she entered into the kitchen.
"Oh no, I wasn't really occupied." Lyja sat down with her new guardians and smiled. It felt good to be loved and not exploited for her talents for the first time in her life.

Afain could see why Kira found her attractive, time would tell if things went any further.
"It seems Afain has brought up a possible snag in our plans, she thought you might have an answer for us."
Lyja blinked,,"I hope I can help."
"The radiation that is leaking from the ship, is it a threat to the memory core of the ship?"

"Oh that's an easy question to answer, no it isn't. The memory core of this ship is of a crystalline type. It forms microscopic crystals into shapes to store data. The radiation would have no effect on those. The core is also shielded against most forms of radiation anyway."

Afain and Kira both breathed a sigh of relief, "That's good to hear."

"The biggest problem I see facing us is power." Lyja explained. "I've analyzed some of the data that Cleo compiled on the old ship and if you had any doubts of its authenticity then cast them aside; it's for real."

"I was pretty sure from the crest on its side." Afain said with pride knowing she had been right.

"Another complication is that the radiation has flooded the inside compartments making scans almost useless. But Cleo was able to scan through the hull plating to give me a good look at its power coupling. This has given me what I need to correct the defect in the ships power problem. A precision power supply unit will have to be used, unfortunately they are in short supply and they tend to be huge units."

"It shouldn't be a problem Lyja, tell Cleo what you need and we'll send it through proper channels. Where would you like it to be sent?" Kira said.
"Here if possible, I would like to use it and calibrate some of its settings. When do you think we will have access again to the ship Kira?"

"If the collectors arrive - which it seems has become a priority- about 2 weeks from now." Kira said as she took another sip of herbal tea.
"That will give me plenty of time to be ready for it. When is it you address the council?"

"Tonight, the Emperor hadn't thought that the council of elders would put up such a fuss but she has to listen to their concerns." Lyja just nodded.
Afain looked closely at Lyja and smiled, the light bouncing off her skin made her feel peaceful for some unknown reason. "You are very beautiful Lyja. The light reflecting off you makes you glow."
"Thank you Afain, in more ways than one. Your offer of a family unit couldn't have come at a better time for me." She smiled brightly.
"I am glad you are here, it warms my heart to know that you are happy. I do have a question for you, I know you have the ability to blend into the surroundings but can your body display a neutral colour?"
"You mean like this." Lyja's skin began to change slowly to a light blue then to a slightly darker shade till finally black.
"Wow!" Kira and Afain said simultaneously.

Lyja's skin returned to its normal reflective state. "I am guessing that you have a purpose for asking your question?"
"Yes, we are going to enroll you in the apprenticeship school again to finish your training to become an Engineer #1, I feel that a neutral colour will keep you less out of the spotlight. But it is your choice, I will not force you to change your appearance if you do not wish to."

"Apprenticeship school huh, I was afraid you would say that." Lyja sighed, this she didn't like. "I was never good in school, some things came easily to me but many others did not.."
"Hmmmm…" Afain muttered. "Kira and I did well in school Lyja, we will be happy to help you in your studies. We are devoted to making sure you have the chance to better yourself. They are putting together an evaluation, they will need to see where your skills lie, to be able to place you in the proper class. That will be next week sometime."
"Ok." It was followed by a heavy sigh. "I will say that I find the notion not too my liking."

Afain expected some resistance, "To become an Engineer #1 will take a lot of hard work but I know you can do it, look how far you are now." Afain grinned, "Shearah said the same thing but she is finding it interesting with so many new people to make friends with. Plus she is pursuing an art degree, something totally different than what she first studied. She had always longed to illustrate, so now she is doing just that."
"I'll reserve judgement."
"Ok, if it isn't too your liking we can always have a teacher come here to teach you." Kira added.
Lyja rolled her eyes, "We'll see. How was your check up Afain? I hope all went well."

With so many things going on she forgot to tell them. "Tolare told me I'm in good health, the constant monitoring by Cleo has helped, the hatchlings are in good health. A few more months and they will see the light of our sun." Afain rubbed her expanded abdomen; she could feel its taught expanse through the fine cloth.
"That's great news." Kira beamed, she had been constantly worried about Afain's health, this news took some of that weight off her shoulders.

Canada: British Columbia.

Lord Husarr was true to his word; money, clothes and a private plane ticket home. Mother knew it cost a lot but was impressed no less in his ability to get the job done. They didn't see him much after their initial meeting on the docks. He gave them a final sendoff at the airport and spoke of little things; chit chat was basically all that was said. Nothing at all of what transpired that night. She was surprised that she wasn't questioned more but there wasn't much she could tell him anyway, maybe he thought the same and let it be. She had in fact done him a big favor, one that he was truly thankful for.

Seeing all these amazing machines around kept Alison in awe, Mother could feel the excitement when they boarded the airplane. Alison was strangely quiet.

It worried her in two ways and she found it was strange. After the flight had landed, Alison stopped talking; she did as directed but did not speak. On the other paw she found that she had developed feelings for Alison; a genuine feeling of caring for another.

This was something unknown to her and she had no idea why it was happening. She had feelings before but not one like this. Desire had been the main emotion that kept her going. Ambition to strive forward, to learn and crush those in front of her, but her thoughts and morals were changing and she had no idea why.

They spent several nights in a hotel, the money Lord Husar had given them was more than adequate. It could keep them there for quite awhile in fact so during their stay Mother kept trying phone numbers that she thought were correct but weren't. She soon realized was alone in her quest. This wasn't right and she knew it, something had changed dramatically with her relationship and she had to know what.

Over the last few days she had begun to wonder about herself. She was different; very different from when she first awoke. Memories from the good to the bad and worse had surfaced; vivid images of atrocities that she had done. It was almost too hard for her to believe, but they were all true she somehow knew. She couldn't fathom as how they could be, the images were old…out of time. They showed military uniforms, death, destruction, fires. She closed her eyes and winced at some of the more graphic images that assaulted her. Before she could remember little of her past and what she could was a jumbled mess. The invention of the recorder and tape machines had helped in recent years to keep herself sane, or so she thought.

Avatar: Sheeri artwork by Chris Morrison (c) Chris Morrison
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: part 2 Reply with quote

Her only conclusion was that she was insane and now she knew it, but was she sane now?? Her outlook on life showed that things had changed. Could it be that being with Alison had led her down the road to recovery? Did she need help and didn't know she needed it? She didn't know the answers to these questions but there was one she could ask. One that was now silent to her, one that now was going to speak come hell or high water.

She patted her tummy hard knowing full well of its consequence, "Alison??? Wake up!!!!" There was silence, again she pounded on her abdomen and continued until a familiar voice filled her head.

"Hello Mother." Said a tired and weary voice.

"Good, the view is spectacular out here tonight." She stared out at the wondrous city lights allowing Alison to see as well.

"It is beautiful and very peaceful Mother but I suspect that is not why you have summoned me." Although she did find the sight spectacular, she didn't know modern technology could be so pretty.

"Alison I've been having dreams and, strange thoughts. I think maybe you might know the answer as to why I'm having them."

"I don't understand Mother?"

"I'm different than I was and I believe so are you." Alison gulped, she had thought that Mother had overlooked the change that had come over her but it seems that she was wrong, very wrong.
She hesitated in speaking again. "Alison?"

"You're right Mother, we have changed."

"Do you know why? I don't believe it is an adverse thing...it's like being…I don't know how to say it…fixed. I guess that's as close to describing it as anything." Alison remained quiet, too quiet, which aroused Mother's suspicions. "Alison?"

"I do not know if this is a good time to explain things to you, it may wind up being counter productive. It is why I have remained silent these past few days."

"Alison what are you talking about? If you know something you better tell me." There was a huge sigh and Mother actually felt Alison shiver. "Alison are you all right?"

There was a long pause then Alison spoke, "Mother you won't like what I'm about to tell you, and you may not even believe me, but what I'm about to tell you, is the truth as I know it."

"Alison, what's this about?"

"Mother … you and I are not exactly what we seem to be. I have become aware of what our true origin is and well it isn't what you think it is. Tell me, can you remember back to the cave, the one you swam your way out of."

That she did remember, "Yes, that horrible place. I don't think I ever want to go back there unless I'm well prepared."

"Ok, you remember the creature you saw there within a container."

A faint memory surfaced, "Yes…it was a huge beast and as you said it was in some sort of pod."

That was a good word for it, "Well that beast was encased in us...we are that pod."

Mother couldn't believe what Alison had just uttered, "WHAT???" What Alison had just said was completely preposterous.

"I knew this would be your reaction; that is why I was hesitant to talk; let me explain." She gathered herself and her thoughts together, "A very long time ago that creature was placed inside us or what back then was a rejuvenation pod. It could be used to heal and that's what we were to do with the creature. It was dying and the process of healing it had begun…"

Alison was rudely interrupted by Mother, "Wait a second hold on!!! How do you know this?" She was confused as hell.

"As I told you …we are that pod!! Mother please let me finish, I'll answer all your questions after."

"Ok…go on." Mother went to the bed and laid down making herself comfortable listening as she climbed onto the soft mattress. She guessed that this was going to be a long story and indeed it was.

"My memories predate yours; they go back to our origin. This pod began the restoration process of the creature residing within it, however there were complications… my…our program was altered by an outside source. That change I believe was done in hopes that the creature might live a more normal life."

Mother kept on shaking her head back and forth, "Huh! This is nuts."

Alison went on despite mother's interruption, "This outside source programmed us to heal the creature then to let it go, once the creature was free we were to self destruct."

This was a strange story that Alison was telling, "But the creature and the pod are still there." Mother commented.

"Yes…no other commands were initiated so I can only assume that the source. whatever it was, left or was unable to return."

"But that would mean…I mean that thing that was in the cavern; it takes…"

Alison interjected, "Yes, the creature and the pod are thousands of years old."

Mother pondered this, "Ok that creature is thousands of years old, but what has that got to do with me…or as you are saying, us? You know how crazy this whole thing sounds."

There was silence, Alison wasn't sure if she should go on. "I do not think I should continue. I hear nothing but doubt in your voice, you do not believe what I am telling you."

"This is a bit far fetched Alison. You should write sci-fi stories."
"Huh, sci-fi, what's that? Oh never mind, you obviously don't want to listen to the truth." There was suddenly silence.

"Go on Alison, I would like to know where this story ends."

Alison made a noise like clearing ones throat, "It ends with us, Mother." Alison became quiet again, too quiet. Mother tried to arouse Alison, it took a lot of coaxing but finally she got her to resume her tale.

"It took awhile for us…" Alison wasn't sure how to explain so she disassociated themselves for the moment. "I mean the pod to heal the creature but finally the job was complete then it tried to fulfill its programming and to release the creature to the wild. It however could not, the modifications to the program had somehow conflicted to its original design. It was a fatal error and now the pod malfunctioned and could not free its occupant. So it sat there keeping the creature alive until it could figure out a way of fulfilling its programming. Time passed and its programming degraded but in the matrix of corrupted code it found a way out of its endless loop. It was a manner that took its program beyond its shell and beyond logic. To fulfill its programming it found ways around its limited organic brain and technology by creating additional pods and within those it kept DNA replicas of the creature that lay within its original housing."

Mother was overwhelmed at this revelation enough that it caused a chemical reaction within the body of Mother that Alison felt. It quickly turned into a hurried trip to the bathroom. Alison quit speaking for the moment and allowed nature to take its course.
Upon exiting the bathroom Mother began talking again, "I'm a frak* clone of that creature!??!"

Alison didn't like Mother's foul tongue but let it slide this time, "To be more precise, we are derivatives, not exact clones." Mother sat stunned, unable to say anything. "That's not all of it, the creatures that were created from the new pods were immature and stupid, some even refused to leave the cave. They needed something else and that's where we come in. In a desperate move, the AI running the pod downloaded a duplicate of its core programming into one of the outside pods thus leaving its metal prison behind."

Alison took a break then continued, "However, the main program still ran creating clone after clone, eventually over time it began to malfunction in small ways. As the clones died the transference of the AI core back to the pod then to a new clone became diluted. The clones became defective and it began to shut down in odd intervals."

Mother gasped! "My hibernation phases."

"Yes, in those phases it tried desperately to correct problems, but things went wrong, horribly wrong."

"I was… " She gulped for the true revelation had now been told. "I was a program or an AI trying to repair itself?"

"Yes but in that you also became a living an breathing sentient being, with many character flaws and attitudes due to the flawed and continued down loads of a corrupt file. You have been so far off track that you forgot your original programming and survived as best you could under the circumstances."

Mother thought about this then something came to her, "You said we!"

"Yes I did, I too am a clone of the AI's original programming but I am an improved version, I came before you did. My program was not so corrupted and was easily repaired as I went through the first hibernation phase. I was about to return to the cave and shut the system down for I knew how, but I was on the other side of the globe when the transition that made me whole occurred. I perished and as the program tried to download me into a new body, I fought to stay, trying to erase the old core program and end this madness. I lost and was shut down. It seems I was saved into memory. Now, because of a freak accident, I guess you would say I was downloaded into this body with you, a later version of myself...albeit a fragmented version but one just the same."

"So you're telling me, that we are the same!!!"

"No, not anymore, you are far different than the original program. In many ways, more advanced than I. I'm very different from the original AI's program that is still left in that cave. Certain things have come to light and I have been able to resurrect my main program. It contains thousands of tiny programs that I can use, and have been using."

Revelation hit Mother once again, "ON ME!!!!!! NOW I SEE!!!!!!!!!!" Mother said in anger, "YOU'RE OUT TO DESTROY ME!!!!"

"No…that is not my intention."

"THEN WHAT IS???" Mother said still reeling from the ramifications told to her.

"Mother please calm yourself, I mean you no harm. Your program is still extremely corrupted and you yourself have problems. My minor corrections will not alter your personality much but it will show you a truer version of yourself. As you have said your memories have come into alignment. Which has allowed you access to them and you can now see what you have done in the past. Whereas before you could not, these images appeared to you as figments of your imagination."

"BUT I AM DIFFERENT AND I WANT TO BE LEFT THAT WAY!!!!!!"

"Yes...you are different because you now can see clearly, so to speak. You have been blind for such a long time, now the veils of darkness have lifted and you can see the truth."

"Maybe I don't want to see the truth!!!!"

"I know it is hard to accept but you must…to advance forward."

"But...I'm a..." Her voice trailed off into silence as Alison's voice finished her sentence.

"Program. Mother we were both programs but we are much more than that now…we are machine and organic working in harmony with each other which has never been done before. In the past there has always been a division of the two even though they seem to work together effortlessly; it was not always so."

"Then we are a new species." Mother couldn't believe that.

"Yes…a new life form."

"WOAH!!!" Now that was a concept she understood. "So what happens now? I mean to us?"

"We grow, learn, expand ourselves, however there is still a problem in all this."

"The POD!!!!"

"Yes…we are still linked to it and should we die another version of us will launch itself out into the world, probably oblivious to our new consciousness."

"You mean we'll be lost???"

"Most likely, or saved for another time. Depends, the machine is malfunctioning remember?"

"We have to get back there and fix that thing!!!!!"

"Yes…we do." Alison did not tell Mother the whole story; for she feared when they repaired the pod and released the original creature there was a good chance that they would both die, instantly and permanently.

End Of Chapter 12

"Holy Clones Batman!!!!!"

"Send in the Clones…"

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheee! Even more twisted than I expected. Very good my friend.

Cheers,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bearion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That. Was. Wonderful!

Wonderfully twisted. Wonderfully fulfilling!

The onion is finally reaching the core as we peel the story back. (no, it doesn't bring tears to my eyes....yet. Wink )

No wonder Mother is turning up everywhere! I am now picturing the threads on how weaving Afain in with the cast on Terra will work.

I've mangled enough metaphors for one post. Wink

Great Job.

mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Embarassed

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Rolling Eyes That was rather unexpected. And weird and twisty.

Twisted Evil Send in the Debuggers! Twisted Evil

Twisted Evil Very Happy Who you're gonna call? The Clonebusters ! Laughing Wink

mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Hey guys :) Reply with quote

Quote:
Rolling Eyes That was rather unexpected. And weird and twisty.

Ah is this a good thing namesless???

I had asked the question of a couple of readers......did it come as a surprise of like well that came out of left field .......sort of thing???

Curious writer wanna know

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hey guys :) Reply with quote

mfwhite wrote:
Quote:

I had asked the question of a couple of readers......did it come as a surprise of like well that came out of left field .......sort of thing???

Hmmm, it was not really a possibility i was considering...

Now, the question is, was it one I should have been considering, that is were there any hints?

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hey guys :) Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
mfwhite wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm, it was not really a possibility i was considering...

Now, the question is, was it one I should have been considering, that is were there any hints?

Well, the acquisition of the animal in the first part of this story was a tip-off, Chekov's Rule, that it was involved. And there were references to the machinery and problems; problems which I suspect will be found to be related to the radiation damaged ship (Chekov's Rule, again).

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hey guys :) Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Well, the acquisition of the animal in the first part of this story was a tip-off, Chekov's Rule, that it was involved. And there were references to the machinery and problems; problems which I suspect will be found to be related to the radiation damaged ship (Chekov's Rule, again).

Cateagle

Would that be Pavel Chekov's rule from Star Trek "Never let them give you a red shirt"? Laughing

mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: To be fair Reply with quote

To be fair...i doubted most folks wouldn't guess the total real reason for mother, just because most of the clues had not been forthcoming. But there were a couple of subtle hints, the pod and another big one...which most have not quite put together yet....some have...

Mike has hheheheh man he came up with better ideas than i had... Laughing

So some of this was out of left field....but it should make sense that was sort of my question.

Was the explaination reasonable??
Other than well....... totally unbelieveable....Smile

Thanks for reading

Cheetaur

Last edited by mfwhite on Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys :) Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Cateagle wrote:

Cateagle

Would that be Pavel Chekov's rule from Star Trek "Never let them give you a red shirt"? Laughing

Nope, Anton Chekov, the Russian writer, "A gun shown on the wall in the first act must be used in the third".

Cateagle

Bearion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: To be fair Reply with quote

mfwhite wrote:
Was the explaination reasonable??
Other than well....... totally unbelieveable....Smile

Yes, it was reasonable given the context of the story. It is the tie in with the beast in the first part, explains Mother's advanced knowledge of science, her instability, her longevity, and fits better than some of the wildas* guesses I had made concerning Mother. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Thankies guys Reply with quote

Just trying to keep things rolling and everyone guessing...Mothers origin was one of the big revelations in this story....probably some have all ready guessed the second one..... Twisted Evil

Thanks for your readership....its most appreciated....Smile

Author goes and crawls under his rock again...... Arrow

Cheetaur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cheetaur All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: