Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photography - Photographers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Photography - Photographers Reply with quote

Hiya everyone

I enjoy taking pics and doing things. I am looking for a perfect camera that works I want it manual and not digital kind (yet) any suggestions?

I need a manual camera but I want to buy the best kind and not too expensive I can't afford 500 dollar camera >.<

I like to take pics of animals, cars, people, etc Smile

How about you?

Any favorite famous photographer you like and why?

------------------------
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like doing landscape pictures (when I'm on holidays).

I like the Canon EOS 500 (which I borrow from my brother). (It may have a different name in the US, it's one of the low-end models.) You can use the auto mode in most circumstances but go all the way to full manual as well.

But then it's not exactly cheap. I think the set was like 300$ (camera + 2 lenses).

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes dabble in photography, too...
(Is there anything I don't do?)

In my kit there are 2 old Olympus SLRs (An OM-2 and an OM-10)
The OM-2 is loaded with ISO100(or whatever) slide film, and the OM-10 is loaded with Fuji's Super G 800 film(for those times the light isn't good enough)
Since neither camera veighs more than 1pound, and they use the same lenses I can use a very lightveight tripod and small bag, which means I can take it anywhere.
(The OM series is old, but still a favorite among many landscape photographers)

I also have a Lubitel 166 camera, whick is a cheap (less than $50) Russian 'medium format' camera which uses 120 'roll film' and can be set to either 6x6cm or 6x4.5cm negatives.
It takes surprisingly good pictures, but is a bit fiddly to use.
(Completely manual, and you need a light-meter of some sort)

I've considered Nikon's but...
As my brother said; you can use it to knock down tent-pegs, then take photos as usual... It's solid! but bl**dy heavy.
If you play rough, they're just the thing, though...

As for lenses...
I have the 50mm that was original (it is considered a VERY good lens), a 28mm wide, a 105 - 300mm zoom and a 2x converter.
I don't use the 2x very often because it looses so much light, but sometimes it's essential.
All my lenses of course have a polarizer screw-thread filter on them all the time. (It's a cheap protection, and sometimes gives better pictures)

Why not talk to a photo store?
Some take in used equipment when they sell new (and expensive) gear.
If they're professional, the equipment will have been serviced and comes with a month or three warranty.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
Lets see

I have a Yashica TLR, A Nikon F3HP with autowinder, and a Canon EOS Elan. Ok the Canon is my wife's. We also have a a Olympus OM10

Lenses - 28-80 - Canon
35 1.2 - Nikon
50 1.2 - Nikon
500 3.5 - Nikon
35 (no idea about aperture) - Oly
50 (no idea about aperture) - Oly

Now, why do I have so much equpiment?

Well, I used to be a photographer - Motorcycle races, Weddings, Budior, ya know, the gamut.

My wife also used to be a photographer.

Did I mention we have all the necessary equipment for a black and white darkroom? oh, we also have a color enlarger.

All that gear - sitting in the attic...

Before I met Maggie, my bag got stolen - in it was: Nikon F, Nikon FE, Nikon FM, 28 mm lenses to 1000 mm lenses, all Nikkor, an Olympus IS-1, 40 rolls of film, 4 battery packs, and one potato masher flasher.

Dammit

That was some gear.

sigh

I like to take pics of things that move me. Women for one.
I also like industrial styles shots
Architecture
Motorcycles - sold one pic to HD
cars
my dogs
not the cats
ya know
the gamut

Oh, DO NOT ask me to shoot weddings anymore.

Dragon_of_the_Shadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jaymee! Heh. You know who this is Very Happy. Eh well, I like Ansel Adams. He has really great scenic and panoramic photos. Yeah, my dad started me with the liking of him.

Hmm, my dad (and I) uses a Nikon (Only god knows the number). Expensive one too. o.o; I'm not much for typing long posts but what can I say? =P This should be enough for my buddy. Very Happy

Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!!!!!!! HUGS her favorite creature XD

Thats awesome camera Smile

------------------------
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fuji Fine Pix 4800 Zoom digital camera (almost the same as Mike's, only a year newer or so) but I make espacially lot photos. I just use it for special ocasions (vacations, holidays parties etc)
Sslaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Photography - Photographers Reply with quote

Jaymee Fox wrote:
Hiya everyone

I enjoy taking pics and doing things. I am looking for a perfect camera that works I want it manual and not digital kind (yet) any suggestions?

I need a manual camera but I want to buy the best kind and not too expensive I can't afford 500 dollar camera >.<

I like to take pics of animals, cars, people, etc Smile

How about you?

Any favorite famous photographer you like and why?

Hmmm... famous photographers? Dunno, really. Need to look.

Animals are definitely my favourite subject with regards to taking photos. Got lots of pics of my cats and dog. People and scenery/landscapes are good too. That said, I'm always looking for more things to take pictures of! Variety is good.

I use a Sony DSC-P71 digital camera. I like the piccies it takes, they tend to be of a good quality. Looking into getting a tripod for it soon. If you want to know, it's resolution is 3.2megapixels. On a 64MB memory stick, it can hold somewhere around 40 photos at it's highest resolution. With regards to manual cameras, I don't know, not having one, sorry.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
My first 35mm camera was a Nikon EM. My son has that now. Currently I have a Canon Rebel EOS.

I also have a Fuji Fine Pix 4700 4.3 mega pixel digital camera and a Canon DV camcorder.

Quote:
Oh, DO NOT ask me to shoot weddings anymore.

OK Fish, then how about our handfasting at AC this year? Laughing

Shrih Khan said he would do the video.

Yes. Mike, I will be honored to shoot that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> jaymeefox All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: