Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server Hard Drive Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Server Hard Drive Issues Reply with quote

We are currently experiencing issues with the primary hard drive on this server, again. The partition giving us problems has been removed from the mirror, and is now being checked.

I have had to re-add the faulty partition 4 times this month, 3 of which I've had to do in the past week. Obviously there is something happening to the drive. What is wrong, that I don't know yet. It is looking like the drive may be going bad, and may have to be replaced. I will have to check with Western-Digital on Tuesday to see if the drive is able to be RMA'd. Until then, I'll have to keep trying to repair what I can.

Last edited by Whip-lash on Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Server Hard Drive Issues Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
We are currently experiencing issues with the primary hard drive on this server, again ... I will have to check with Western-Digital on Tuesday

THERE'S your problem! Wink

Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Server Hard Drive Issues Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:
Whip-lash wrote:
We are currently experiencing issues with the primary hard drive on this server, again ... I will have to check with Western-Digital on Tuesday

Chris!

*SNICKER* I jsut knew you were going to say that. Laughing

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Server Hard Drive Issues Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:

Laughing Man... no it's not. I've used WD drives for years and this is the first time I've had major problems with them.

Anyways... Wink

It looks like it may be working, but I'm still going to call up WD and have them ship a new drive. I have no plans on having a server without a mirror, let alone no boot partition.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... actually, Chris and Whip-lash, I see both of your points. I've never had a problem with Western Digital drives either - bought 'em for years, they install great, they run for years without any problems. On the other hand...

I keep hearing stories about how unreliable they are. I've seen other people's machines with WD drives that wouldn't work no matter what. Some of these machines were owned by friends who I know to be computer-savvy folks; if it were some simple (i.e. user-fixable) problem, they would be able to deal with it. I'm forced to conclude that, in these cases, there was indeed something wrong with the drives in question.

The one thing that all these problem drives had in common was that they were OEM drives - the users had recieved them as part of the computer setup; they didn't buy or install the drives themselves. Now, I don't know that there's a correlation - I'm not that savvy in analytical statistics - but I do know this: I have my suspicions, and I've since resolved not to buy a WD drive through an OEM. I can't say for sure, but what I've seen leads me to believe that WD has two different testing standards... and that anything that goes out of the door to be bought directly by consumers (that is, anything the typical consumer is likely to know is Western Digital) is tested to much higher standards than the drives which go to computer manufacturers.

Just my two cents, and I know it's a bit off-topic, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solis

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for my curiosity's sake, are you sure your cooling system (be it fan[s] or whatever) is doing the job?

I know of people who have had really major HDD problems when they get hot.

Especially since the server is up 24/7, it's something that really can't be overlooked...

Just my two cents.

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solis wrote:
Just for my curiosity's sake, are you sure your cooling system (be it fan[s] or whatever) is doing the job?

I know of people who have had really major HDD problems when they get hot.

Especially since the server is up 24/7, it's something that really can't be overlooked...

Just my two cents.

The last time I personally checked (about the time I had to rebuild the server in January), they were working perfectly. The server is at an ISP being co-located, so I can't exactly be checking on it personally all the time, but the staff checks on it regulary and the fans work just fine.

My thoughts on it is that because of the way the mirror is set up, that being a software based RAID 1, it places more stress on the drive IO's. Sooner or later, the other drive is going to start acting up as well.

Since they are IDE drives, they are fairly cheap to replace/upgrade, though at the time the drives I purchased (100GB) were very expensive. Now I can pick up 120GB drives for around $100 new. *shrug* I don't have the ability to purchase a full blown server class system, with hardware RAID, SCSI drives, etc. Not exactly in my budget, so I do what I can with what I have.

And on the point of possible problems with WD drives and the differences between an OEM setup and retail boxed, I've purchased them both ways, and have never had a major problem (unless it was my fault) up till now. In a way, it is my fault for this failing like this, since these are not designed to be stressed the way they have been under for the past year or so.
Cirrel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
I can't say for sure, but what I've seen leads me to believe that WD has two different testing standards... and that anything that goes out of the door to be bought directly by consumers (that is, anything the typical consumer is likely to know is Western Digital) is tested to much higher standards than the drives which go to computer manufacturers.

My brother (presently with Flextronics, Jan Jose offices) helped write the testing program Intel used in the past to test chips, boards, etc. right after manufacture.

Fact: There is more than one standard of quality. It's written into the testing programs. It would be stupid, business-wise, to have only one standard when talking electronics. The nature of manufacturing process and the miniscule size of components almost guarentees variation from chip to chip (or from board to board).

For chips sold directly by Intel, they had to meet the highest standard. Ones that didn't meet this standard, however, were NOT automatically pitched in the dumpster. If they met the next lower level of quality, they were shipped to computer manufacturers and electronics warehouses. These chips weren't *bad*. They just didn't meet the highest standard and could fail under certain circumstances that the higher quality ones could tolerate.

Bottom line? If you have a job that's mission critical, shoot for the higher standard. If not, the next level is fine... usually.

There was also a third quality level. Chips that still worked, but that intel wouldn't put it's name to. These were not pitched in the dumptster either. Why? Because there were manufacturer's, electronic warehouses, and others who were willing to buy them. (Hell, they still work (sort of) don't they?) And Intel would be stupid not to sell them. They are in the business, after all, to make money.

Cirrel
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Chuckle* And there's actually two more catagories beyond that. Chips that don't work at all, but LOOK normal - these aren't pitched, either; they're used in such things as keychain ornaments and such. Only the very last category doesn't go out as "product" of one sort or another... at least, not this time around. But Reclaim is very thorough... and sooner or later, those atoms will make it out the door...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still claim fame from the fact that I managed to melt a pentium 3 800 that was bought directly from them.

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrel, then there is a lower level than that

Its called Fry's Electronics.

They sell so much crap (yet I still shop there) that Microsoft has named a BSD after them!!!!

Fry's Memory BSD.

Go look it up.

Now, why do I still shop there? Cost savings. Well, if you buy the base level crap, the likelyhood of a return is immediate. If my friends are shopping there, I always instruct them to buy two levels higher than the sale price. saved my tuckus more times than not.

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm re-adding the mirror, and will be rebooting once it's finished. The following is what I get dmesg, except there are about 150 more entries just like this one:

Code:
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=6725813, sector=4460648
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 4460648

Definately looks like physical problems with the device. Can't do anything about it until Tuesday, though. Bleh.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I notified that the server was going to be rebooted and backup in about 15 minutes over the weekend, the server had other plans. It couldn't ever actually reboot. I had the ISP power-cycle it this morning, and as you can see it's back online, but we are still short a drive.

I'll be driving out to the ISP this afternoon when I get a chance to pull the bad drive, put a temporary boot drive in, and get WD to send a new drive.

My apologies for the unexpected downtime.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got it back up Mr. Green

No More Feeling Like An Apollo 13 Astronaunt In Mid-mission.... Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*...and the profanity shall commence in Three...Two...*

Sounds a whole bunch like the maintenence we're kicking out the door just to keep up. "I don't care what you did to it as long as it works..." Hey, it kept me from working this weekend.

Now if you were using a Quantum Fireball Drive... I'd join in on the profanities...

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: