Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timberfox

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: New guy question Reply with quote

Last edited by Timberfox on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be talking about the absence of that fleabitten racoon Evil or Very Mad (just kidding) Razz anyway I think the main reason is that many of the long running stories at least in some small part kind of feed off eachother with corasponding events and whatnot I do remember reading a Sabrina story somewhere that did have RC as Sabrina's boyfriend with no mention of Chris Foxx I'll see if I can dig it up and post where you can find it later.

Timberfox

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Timberfox on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: New guy question Reply with quote

AWPrime wrote:
Why are all the fic's based upon Chriss Foxx stories why not on the Canon online comic? Question

I think because a story is more inspiring to write a fanfic than a comic strip. That's at least how it was for me.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu has written two (adult) FanFic stories that are based on the comic not the story.

http://myweb.cableone.net/kathmandu/storyindex.htm

I the comic is a lot of fun, but I think the characters in the story are deeper and more interesting, especially Zig Zag in James Bruner's story.
MBR's Zig Zag (as in the comic) is a lot of fun, but she does not quite have that depth of character.

mwalimu

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what happened was at the time Chris started writing SOtS, Sabrina didn't have a boyfriend yet in Eric Schwartz's comic, so Chris wrote his story, Eric continued his strip, and they took divergent paths.

At one point, Chris wrote an ending to the story that was supposed to resolve the disparity, but Eric encouraged Chris to continue his storyline, so Chris wrote a continuation that turned his "ending" into a fantasy sequence that never really happened.

Most of the fanfics (at least the ones I've read so far) build on Chris's storyline, but some (e.g. Kathmandu's) use Eric's storyline, and one appears to try to reconcile the two.

Also note that MBR gives Zig Zag's age as 23, but James Bruner made her several years older. James's version makes more sense in many ways; for one thing, it's unlikely she would have built up the kind of capital and experience to have built up her own movie studio by age 23. Heck, even to do it by age 30 is quite an accomplishment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to mention DDR by Elfin_furry also found on this board his depiction of the characters while not exactly like the comic are more inline with it for instance the has included the character "Dark Kat" from the strip and also does not mention Chris (Hmm... now that I think about it, he doesn't mention RC either that I remember).

Concolor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: New guy question Reply with quote

AWPrime wrote:
Yes I am a newbee.

I will upload my avatar next week.

I have been reading furry fics for sometime now, and there is one question on my mind about the Sabrine Online fanfics.

Why are all the fic's based upon Chriss Foxx stories why not on the Canon online comic? Question

Question Good question!

Well . . . . .

In my case, the central character is one of Chris' peripheral characters. The occasional cameo of Sabrina in my story is attributable to her long-standing friendship with Wendy Vixxen, who does not appear in Eric's strip.

Also, I guess the character development in SOLtS is much deeper than it is in the comic. That's what inspired me.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New guy question Reply with quote

AWPrime wrote:
I have been reading furry fics for sometime now, and there is one question on my mind about the Sabrine Online fanfics.

Well, in my case, Chris's story both inspired me and had a secondary character that I found attractive and who fit my story and main protagonist whereas the online comic didn't. 'Sides, Chris has put considerable good effort into expanding the background for the story. *G* FWIW, one of my secondary characters has taken a more active role in yet another story; let alone the chronologically latter versions of Lee & Debbye who show up in "Gone Wylde" (and yes, some of what abilities they show there are rooted in things that will happen in my story).

Thoughtfully,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rava

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava's story was originally a short story to fleshed out a character concept for "From the wings" by Cateagle. He in turn was basing his story off Debbye, created by Chris Yost as a friend for Sabrina in his story.

Seemed only natural to base the story off Chris's "Sabrina-verse" rather then Eric's. My story also has a character from James's ZigZag story as a main character. So my universe was set for me.

I like the strip but I enjoy the story more, the charcters are flat in a comic becasue that is all a storyboard setting allows for. Eric is really good at what he does, but any story is easier to get into because it's so much more indepth.
Timberfox

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Timberfox on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Hortmage

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWPrime wrote:
Should I simply go for the canon, and contionue writing.

Just to let some fresh air in?

Personally, as a non-author and just a useless consumer of other people's efforts, Wink I would have to say: Do what makes you feel good.

If you've got storylines in mind based on Eric's story, then go with it. If the story is well-written, with good plot, character development, and spelling (BTW: check your sig line Smile ), then it will be enjoyable to read, even if NONE of the characters have ever been seen before.

I think, though, that if you base your stories on Eric's canon work, you might want to run it by him first, for his blessing. I know Chris does that for Sabrina OLtS.

Good luck to you!

Timberfox

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Timberfox on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesPI

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no offense or anything, but you may want a few spellcheckers. And not the electronic kind, either. Get somebody (or more than 1) to read, reread, and reread your writing again. Try to eliminate as many of those nasty typos as possible.
Timberfox

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Timberfox on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: