Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 9 part 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Chapter 9 part 2 Reply with quote

Now that was a name Sabrina hadn't heard in a very long time, "Mom you haven't called me that in years."
"I know, it just jumped into my head…Lumpy." She grinned, as a little fur Sabrina was always falling or bumping into things, so she got the reputation at the doctors for being lumpy.
"Yeah, I know, I still have a few places in my noggin that are concave." Sabrina said rubbing her head.
"You were a tough little fur."
"Aww Mom."
"Ahem!!!" Said a voice behind them.
Sabrina smiled, "Oh hi Dad."
"Can I join this hug?" Warren said with a huge grin.
Endora smiled, "Sure!" they said simultaneously as they grabbed him and reeled him in.

Amy poked Thomas and pointed at the group hugging. Thomas smiled and grabbed his wife and drew her close, "Why should they have all the fun?" He grinned.
Amy smiled, "What do you have in mind?" The next thing she knew she was being kissed deeply and reveled in its passion, her lover just earned his treat. That's if they weren't dead tired when they got home tonight.. She rolled her eyes at that thought.

While Sabrina helped the others with loading, Endora checked through the rest of the chest of drawers to see what else was there. To her surprise, in the bottom drawer she found a scrapbook. She didn't remember ever seeing this one before. She opened it up and the first picture she saw was of her mother, about 6 years old. She couldn't help but smile, she looked so cute. There were also some pictures of her grand parents, she never knew them, they died when she was an infant, but her Mother had told her about them. She smiled knowing that she now had a few more memories to put away. The book didn't contain a whole lot but at the back were several letters and a clipping from the local newspaper. It was all about a meteor hitting near here. She wondered why her mother would keep such a clipping. Oh well, she thought it be best if she put this in safe keeping until they got everything loaded. She would have plenty of time to go over it later in quiet surroundings, besides they needed her to help load. She put the book in the truck then went back with helping to pack.

It had taken most of the morning to get everything loaded but finally they were off. Endora now took the time to relax and took another look at the scrapbook.
"More memories?" Warren asked, he was glad traffic wasn't heavy. The big truck wasn't the easiest thing to drive.
"Yes, a scrap book with a few photos and letters. Seems I neglected to find this when we moved Mother's things."
"Well it's always nice to have a surprise or two in your day." Warren smiled. "How you doing?"
"Ok, didn't have too much time to think about things, probably hit me all later."
"Well I'm here if you need me."
"I know and I'm glad you're here, you have made things bearable."
"Really haven't done a lot Dora."
"Being here for me, is more than enough." She stroked his paw and he smiled back at her.
"God she is beautiful" he thought. "I always liked your parents, from the first day I met them."
Endora smiled, "Dad thought you were full of yourself." She grinned.
Turning his head for a moment, "You never told me that!" He exclaimed.
"You never asked." She giggled. "But Mom thought you were the one."
"Really?"
"Yup, she saw right through you. She knew you were the one for me." There was a pause, "I miss her Warren." She said tears forming in her eyes.
"I know hun, I know. It's a little harder for you being an only child, I can still call up Mom or Dad." He reached over and gently took hold of his wife's paw and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I'm right here ok, whenever you need me just call and I'll come a running."
She saw the look on his face and knew it to be true, he'd come at any cost. "Thanks." She sniffed, now all she had to do was to find a Kleenex to dry her eyes.
"We'll get through this, you'll see."
"I know." She opened the first page of the scrap book and there staring back was her mother as a child, she hoped in her heart that she was in a better place now.

Warren had a fun time backing the huge truck into their driveway but he managed to do it; with Thomas's help and guidance.
Endora didn't feel at all well, she guessed the day had finally caught up with her.
"Warren, can you and the others unload the truck? I don't feel so good, maybe if I sit for a little while." She didn't really want to back out but she didn't feel she could do this right now.
"Sure, you go on in."
"Ok, I'm sorry." She said as she put her paw on the door handle.
"Dora, you don't need to be sorry for anything, it's a hard time and everyone knows it. You go and do what ever it is you have to do…and don't worry about us." She nodded and got out of the truck.

Amy and Sabrina helped Endora into the house. After pushing the two out and convincing them she was fine she went and laid down. Her head began to spin and she felt woozy for some strange reason. When she finally awoke she couldn't believe the time. Four hours had passed; she hurried down stairs to see if everything was ok. The house was quiet except for Warren's slight snoring, seems he had the urge to nap as well. She decided it wasn't worth waking him. She went into the kitchen and fixed herself a little something to eat. She felt famished, she just wished the others had stayed. She was sure she could have fixed them something. Then another thought occurred to her that Tabitha was next door and she would have to go her. Seems a mother's work is never done.

The sandwich was filling and delicious. She was curious to see how they got everything in the garage; so outside she went. It was packed but neat; tomorrow she would start to go through it. Some they would send to Ti and Richard as wedding gifts, there was a really nice table she thought they might like. Over all there was a lot of stuff; it was a shame she couldn't keep it all. She was about to close the garage door when she heard her husband's voice.
"Boy can we pack huh?"
"You sure can, want to try my closet?"
"Uh uh…not going there." Warren said with a smile as he embraced his wife from behind. "I didn't think we would get it all in there."
"Well you did a great job…," Suddenly she noticed that the huge ugly van was missing, "ah where is the truck?"
"Thomas took it back for me, I didn't really need it anymore and it was on their way."
"That was nice of him."
"Yeah, Sabrina has some really nice friends."
"We'll have to have them to dinner soon."
"Well I was sure you would probably do it tonight, no matter what condition you were in. You're stubborn that way."
Endora raised an eyebrow, "Oh."
"I explained that it was best to let you rest."
She kissed him, "I needed it."
"Seems so did I." He smiled and took in her scent, she smelled good. "We found something, though."
"Oh." She tilted her head back to see his face.
"Yeah, your mother's diary, Sabrina wanted to read it, but I put her off. It's best if you read it first, diaries are personal things."
"Good idea, I doubt there is anything startling in it but best to be sure." She didn't know her mother kept a diary; then again she didn't know a lot of things about her mother.
"I think it's best if I go get something to eat." He winked and she nodded.
"How does Chinese sound to you?"
"Good, really good."
"Then it's settled." He rubbed his face against hers and purred, time stood still as they cuddled in a gentle embrace.

After cleaning up after a good dinner, Endora talked things over with Warren, explaining that she'd like to read the diary in private. He understood; he was good that way. She settled herself in Warren's den and his big comfy chair. She put the diary on his desk and stared intently at it.

The diary itself was old and well used by the look of it. The dates in it were from a time close to when her mother had become pregnant. Endora thought to herself that her mother probably thought it would be a good time to start a diary, if she was going to try and have a baby. She smiled to herself and remembered her time of having one, although she wished it had been easier. Still when the nurse handed her Sabrina her whole world stopped and she thanked the heavens for her small black and white miracle. Now it seemed she had many blessings much to her surprise.

As she read, she found not a lot was said, she was more anxious than anything, much of it was hard to read. It was like reading about someone she didn't really know; for diaries are seldom read by anyone else. This was a look into her mother's deepest thoughts and she felt that maybe she shouldn't be reading it. The thought of destroying it didn't settle well with her either. It was the only thing left of what was her memory and she decided to plow on. But as she went through it she noticed a time lapse in the diary, about a two-week period then the next entry was very bizarre:

They found me by a stream 10 miles away from the county line the other day. I have no idea how I got there, it's very strange. The whole town has been looking for me, seems I've been missing for two weeks! I'm feeling more like myself today; the doctors sat and explained to me what had transpired. They told me the police had found me, I wasn't wearing anything at the time and that I kept screaming at them to leave me alone. It's all like some horrible nightmare and I don't really remember anything of any consequence. I started out on my bicycle in the rain and I wound up in this hospital, I just don't remember how I got out there by that stream.

There were question marks scribbled all over the page, she must have been very confused when she wrote it Endora thought. It was a mystery that she hoped the diary explained later, she read on.

A few more days lapse in time

The nightmares keep coming; I don't know where they are coming from, maybe if I write them down and describe them, it will help me figure them out. It's dark and its cold where I am… there doesn't seem to be any one around, then I see someone. The eyes first, they seem to glow in what light there is, as she comes into view she is hideous.

Endora didn't know what to make of this, her mother was obviously distraught. She read on hoping she would explain some more.

The expression on its face doesn't seem natural. All I can see is its horrible grin, it's horrible.

All about the page were what she thought looked like jagged teeth. The next entry's seem to have been torn out Endora didn't know why, maybe it was the nightmares she thought. The next entry was two months from where things had started. It was a long time, too long Endora thought. Mother what happened to you?

I'm back at the hospital again, the nightmares still haven't gone away, now they have told me I'm pregnant! Fred is furious, he wants the child aborted, he believes I was raped during my absence.

MOM RAPED!!! She couldn't believe it!!!

They believe my mind is blocking, creating the nightmares. I've been told that it could be my memory trying to cope with such a brutal assault.

She still couldn't believe this, her mother or father never spoke of it. Why hadn't they told me? She didn't understand.

Although some of the doctors disagree, I have no other sign something like that happened. We have been trying to have a child but as of late we had sort of put the idea aside for awhile. Our money situation has changed and we were not sure if we had enough to raise a child this early on. Fred doesn't know what to do and neither do I.

The next entry was squiggled and almost unreadable….

I see it now, its eyes are discoloured, it's staring at me. "What do you want??" I keep screaming at it. I remember this time…… it talks to me and I remember.

Its voice is harsh and horrible, "You cry out to me…child of this world. You want to know my intentions…do you!!! Then I will tell you…I want you to breed …give me an army for conquest…you are the first…but will not be the last."
I continued to scream at the foul creature, "Who are you? What are you?" I remember the fear.
"I have had many names throughout time but you can call me MOTHER!!!!!"

A shiver rode down Endora's spine at lightning speed, her heart skipped a beat; then it continued to a frantic pace as it pounded in her chest at the revelation. Shock spread throughout her system and put her mind into a tailspin. The world went black and she collapsed onto the floor into unconsciousness.

England: Prosperity Hospital 1:45 am

Martha and Jonathan Kent found a very weary looking Richard Conrad in the Hospital's cafeteria. He spied them as they entered and rose to give them both a hug.
As they broke from their embrace Martha asked, "Have you heard anything?" her voice was filled with great concern, for her daughter's health and life was at stake.
"No Mum, they wheeled Ti away over an hour ago…I'm sick with worry."
"I'm glad you called us Son." Jonathan replied, it was good to see Richard again; a damn fine fur in his book.
"I brought some coffee." Martha said, "I thought you might need it; you don't look good Richard."
She dug through her bag and pulled out a thermos, spun off the cup and handed it to Richard. They sat quietly for a few moments then the talking began.
"What happened Son?" Mr. Kent interjected as Martha poured Richard a very strong cup of coffee.

"I don't know Pa, I was asleep in a chair when people came crashing into the hospital room with instruments. People were shouting and working furiously on her, I tried to talk to someone but all they did was tell me to stay out of the way. Next thing I know they are wheeling Ti away. I finally got someone to tell me that Ti's heart stopped. I haven't heard anything since. It's not like I haven't tried...there just doesn't seem to be anyone about that knows anything." His paws shook as he drank the hot coffee. "This is good, thanks Mum."
"It's good you called us." Martha said with deep concern. Ti heart stopped, she thought…that had to been wrong.
"I'm sorry I don't have much other news to tell you."

Martha's main thoughts were of Ti but she also had reservations about Richards health. Over the time Ti had spent with him she had grown quite fond of him, "It's ok Richard…you need to take care of yourself." Martha said patting his paw, "They know were here, so they'll find us I'm sure of that."
"I know but I fear the worst. Ti hasn't been well these last couple of days as you know." They all knew, it showed in Ti's eyes and how she handled herself. "The news that she didn't have that bone disease helped ease some of her worries and mine. "
"We were all relieved to hear that dear." Martha's concern overflowed not only for her daughter but for Richard, he'd been by Ti's side almost 24hrs a day, he looked so weary. He really did love Ti, maybe too much for his own good, "Rich dear you have to get some rest, maybe you should go home. We'll stay here and let you know the minute we hear anything."
"It's ok Mum, I'll be fine, I just need to know what's happened to Ti."

They paced the place until about 3am when a doctor, who was an avian, an owl to be more precise came into the room. "Mr. Conrad?"
A barn Owl in better light; Richard hadn't seen many avians and he wasn't sure if this one was male or female. "I'm Richard Conrad and these," he pointed, "are Ti's parents."
As the Owl doctor approached, they still couldn't figure if it was male or female; that question was still unanswered. "It's nice to meet you all, I'm doctor Rashe…I think it be best if we all sit. I have a lot of things to discuss with you. I know you're all tired so I'll try to make this a brief as possible but answer all your questions." Richard helped Martha to her seat. The arrival of the doctor helped perk them up some but they were sure the news wasn't going to be good.
Before Martha even got to her seat she blurted out the question that was on all of their minds, "Is Ti alive?"

The Owl's face didn't have much in the way of expression, so it was difficult to read. Richard also thought that it probably didn't have too much of a range of emotion; considering most of its face was filled with its two huge eyes.
"Yes, Ti is alive, barely though. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of good news. Here is what happened, approximately two and a half-hours ago; Ti's heart stopped beating. At that point we were not able to revive her and we didn't understand why her heart actually stopped. We did everything we could to start it beating again but nothing worked. Our efforts proved futile and we were about to declare her dead when her heart started beating again on its own."

There was silence…if a pin could had dropped you could have heard its collision with the floor. Richard and the Kents all turned white as a sheet upon hearing about Ti's close call.

"We don't know what is going on with Ti, her heart and arm has us puzzled and we can't explain what is wrong. For some unknown reason, Ti's body has rejected her own tissue. We thought it was some massive infection building up in her arm but all our tests showed no sign. When Ti stabilized, we removed her cast to see if gangrene had set in and discovered Ti's arm and hand bones were gone, liquefied." The avian paused to allow this information to sink in. "The only structure left was the glue we had used earlier to help mend Ti's fractured arm. There was no blood flow and the flesh of the arm had become soft and lifeless. I have gone over Ti's records and what you told the hospital but none of this makes a lot of sense. It's almost as if Ti's body is rejecting its own biological material."

Mr. Kent looked at the avians huge eyes; they almost seemed endless in depth. "So what's this about Ti's body is rejecting its own tissue? I don't understand?"
"That is a good question Mr. Kent in some way we don't understand. Ti's bone structure simply dissolved into a liquid form, we cleaned the wound out but it left us little choice but amputation. Seeing there was only skin left."

"Mr. and Mrs. Kent, Mr. Conrad, we did everything possible to help Ti but in the end we feel we made the proper decision in removing Ti's arm." She sighed as she saw the look on the families' faces. "We were able to leave the elbow intact and a small bit of the forearm."
She wasn't about to tell them the strangest bit that it was like the process had already been done in advance for them.
"Again we did everything we could, she is stable now and we feel that in time this will give her a stronger chance at life."

Pa Kent held his wife's paw gently, it was a big blow to hear. "At least Ti was alive," he thought. That was the main thing they could always give her a prosthetic. He saw a tear escape Martha's eye, "She's alive love, that's all we need to hear."
Martha sniffed, "Yes Jonathan, that's the news we wanted to hear." She smiled into his warm face.
"When can we see her?" Richard said.
"Not until…" Her conversation was interrupted by a deafening scream and crashing sound. They all got up and ran towards the commotion. As they got closer they could hear Ti's voice screaming.

"IT'S GONE!!!!!!! YOU TOOK MY ARM!!!!!!!" They entered into the room the see Ti throwing things and screaming at a young nurse. She was still attached to IV's that ran into her good arm, she frantically ripped them off. Her right arm was bandaged at the elbow, her eyes were wild. Richard was going to approach but Martha held him back.
"No Richard, let me." She approached Ti who was breathing hard and wildly moving about she was acting like a wild animal. Martha spoke out loudly and sternly, "YOUNG LADY, JUST WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING???!!!!!!"

Ti suddenly stopped and turned to look at the femme approaching, her eyesight was blurry but she recognized the voice. It broke the trance of madness, "Mom!"
"YOU BET YOUR BOOTS IT'S ME!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" She hoped the stern voice would turn her rage to question then for her to stop all this nonsense.

The adrenaline in Ti's system had peaked but it began to abate. "Mom… they took my arm away." Ti cried as tears began to well up in her eyes.
"Yes I know…it was harming you, they did it to save your life. You see you're still here." She tried to make things simple; for Ti was not in a state of mind to think clearly.
Ti stared at the bandaged stump. "My arm…it's gone."
"I know…they did it to save your life." Ti began stumbling backwards and to Martha's horror fell backwards onto the floor with a sickening thud. Her giant tail cushioned some of the blow. "Ti!!!"

Ti moaned as she struggled to stand, "Mom?"
Martha was quick to her side, "Dear, try to stay put."
Everyone was now around her trying to comfort her with blankets. Her huge size made it difficult for them to do anything for her. The doctor moved in with a needle and administered it. "Mom help me?"

Ti's mind reached out to the one person who she thought somehow could help her but she was totally helpless. Her head swam under too many drugs and euphoria. She could barely make out her mother's face.
"I'm here dear." She stroked Ti's face as she watched tears flowed down her cheeks.
"I'm sorry Mom, tell Swallow I tried to fight."
"Ti, you're being silly…you're going to be fine and you don't have to be sorry for anything. Everything is going to be all right." Ti's eyes closed and her body suddenly relaxed all at once. She looked at the doctor with concern, the doctor moved in closer as Martha watched the avian wing gently take Ti's pulse.
"She's fine." The avian nodded.
Martha and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

The doctor sighed, "That won't keep her out long Mrs. Kent, let's step aside and see if they can get her up on a bed again."
Richard and Mr. Kent helped the orderlies lift Ti back up onto the bed they had for her. "I'm sorry you had to see that Mrs. Kent but thank you for calming her down, you were very brave; she could have hurt you."
Martha gave a quick smile, "No she wouldn't, she has never, ever hurt me intentionally. It's not her nature, even with all that strength she wouldn't harm anyone…even in anger."

The avian had her doubts, creatures of that size usually tended to be violent in nature. "Well… thank you again. Do you have time to talk? I'd love to know more about Ti, she is a remarkable specimen...ah…I mean person."
Martha smiled at the doctor's flub, "Sure I'd love to."

She stayed with Ti for a little while making sure that her daughter was settled once again. Seeing that she was she felt more at ease, talking with the doctor now would give her something to do. The men would have to find something else to pass the time away.

End Of Chapter 9

"When they said this was an arms race…they weren't kidding!!!!"

"When they said lay down your arms, they meant weapons ya idgit."

Avatar: Sheeri artwork by Chris Morrison (c) Chris Morrison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cheetaur All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: