Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 9 My Heart Yearns For You

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Chapter 9 My Heart Yearns For You Reply with quote

This chapter is dedicated to a dear friend Dave ( TVDave ) Neff, who passed away recently due to complications from diabetes. The full details of his passing are unknown but he was a good friend to many online and to myself. I will miss his presence here on the net.
Dave was a fan of my story, so Dave, this one's for you…maybe you can still read this.
I do not know the answer to that but if you can I surely hope you enjoy it.

Your friend
Mark.

Legal stuff:

The character Maxine is the property of Max Black Rabbit: she is used here with his permission. To learn more about her check out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaxandMaxinesHangout/

Chapter 9: My heart yearns for you.

Downtown Ottawa: Behind Heather's Computer Emporium.

Sabrina's brown piece of junk that passed for an automobile chugged into a parking space behind Heather's store. It definitely had to go in for repairs but she didn't think the car was worth it. She had been saving and she guessed it was time to look for another. She was about to turn off the ignition but something on the radio caught her attention. Reaching over she turned the volume up a notch so she could hear a bit better.

"…courageous spokes model from Cheetahpaw Tires heroically tried to shield the children with her body. Details are sketchy at this moment but so far what we know is that two children and five adults have been injured. All have been taken to the hospital with serious and life threatening injuries. The gunner was taken down by spectators and is now in custody but not before innocent blood was spilled. The mall…" CLICK.

Something about the news spot bothered her. She missed what she thought was vital bit of it as another car went by. She sighed heavily, it was way too early for her sleepy mind to absorb anything. 'I'll probably read about it later' her brain muttered. Sabrina Johnston turned off the ignition and silenced the clunking engine, it responded in kind by continuing to run. "More shootings," she thought, "when will we ever learn?"
The car's pathetic engine finally quit, she shook her head, exited and locked it. "Who was going to steal it?" she thought. It was earlier in the morning than she normally came in but she knew that a little fur would be looking for her new computer today and she wasn't about to disappoint her. Most of it was ready but it was on the bench just running the normal test programs. She wanted to be sure this one worked. The last couple she had put together didn't work worth beans. Max and Hector had assured her it wasn't her fault just crappy parts but she had felt rotten that they didn't work the way they should have.

She opened the lock of the store's rear door and entered. Punching in the security code, Sabrina set the alarm system to standby. She turned on the lights and began to prepare for another day in the computer biz. In her mind she found that she really enjoyed the work. Some of it was not so glamorous but she enjoyed meeting the people. Many she knew by heart; that was the fun part. The trouble shooting she found the most difficult but Max and Hector did most of that. Although she had fixed a few herself and was proud when she got them up and running again. The fact she was learning so quickly had surprised Max and Hector. Her skills were growing and she couldn't help but smile to herself. Max had always been behind her and encouraging her to try new things.

Her heart beat faster at the thought of the black rabbit and sighed. She was being silly but she didn't know what to do about him. Hector had announced his and Heater's engagement, Ti was also getting married. Then there was Sabrina, her sister; she too was engaged. All in all she felt left out of the picture. She felt sure that Max was indeed the one, but she wasn't sure if he thought the same way. The nights they had together were great and the lovemaking even more intense. Sabrina blushed at that thought; Max was really good in bed. He seemed to have so much stamina that he actually wore her out. So what now? She wasn't sure but she knew that they had to have a talk and soon. Maybe today if the situation presented itself.

Sabrina looked at the bench and at the opened computer. The computer's monitor said that the diagnostic tests were finished and that all was ok. She breathed a sigh of relief and began to shut it down and unplug it. It was time to pack it up and make it ready for its new owner. As she shuffled things around she heard the rear door slam.

"Hello?!!!" Sabrina called out.
"Just me." Came a quick reply; it was Max. Soon his cheerful face popped into the room with his trademark ball cap and floppy ears. She was happy to see him although he seemed extremely fidgety and was moving about way too much.
"Hey, you're here early?" He questioned. .
"Well I have to get little Miss Harper's computer finished." With Max bouncing around she found it hard to concentrate. "Are you ok? You're like a flea on a hot brick." Her ears twitched as she thought she heard a giggle from behind him.
He was quick to reply. "Yeah, I'm ok."
She still didn't think so. "Miss Harper said she would be in first thing this morning."
"Ah…this is the comp for little Cindy? Boy was she ever cute."
"Oh yeah, Cindy is a sweetie, I just couldn't disappoint her… so I'm here early. So what brings you by? You're usually not here until…" She looked at the clock, "ten?" He looked nervous, something was going on, Sabrina thought.
"Well, I wanted to show someone where I worked."
"Oh?"
"Yeah, me!" said a high spirited voice. A rabbits head poked out from around Max's shoulder and it had a face very familiar to her.
"Huh?" Sabrina said wide-eyed, this new face looked very much like Max's; almost exactly.
The black rabbit moved out from behind Max, "Hi, I'm Max's twin sister, Maxine." The female bunny put out her paw in greeting.
"You two …," Sabrina pointed and stuttered, "are twins???!!!" She couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Max rubbed his neck, knowing that he should have told Sabrina about Maxine, "I was going to tell you but she was coming down anyway…I thought meeting her would be better."
"You didn't tell her about me?" Maxine said raising her voice, then giving her brother a good slap about the head. "You jerk!"
"Don't be too hard on him Maxine, a lot has happened around here and to me; Max was just being considerate I'm sure. It's very nice to meet you." Sabrina said as she shook Maxine's thin black paw. "You really are twins", she said upon closer examination.

It seemed that Maxine had Max's charm and energy level, "Yup, people had a hell of a time when we were small; no one could tell the difference between us but now… well all you have to do is look in the chest department and see." Sabrina had noticed Maxine was a little better off than she was as soon as she had walked into the room. It was funny that femmes compared themselves in that way.
"It's so nice to meet Max's girl, he has told me so much about you." Max's ears drooped in embarrassment.

Sabrina raised an eyebrow and looked over at Max, "Oh…so what did he tell you Maxine?" Her curiosity now heightened.
"Not too much." She smiled. "Just that you were his girl friend and that things were going good. It's nice to meet you in person though; I had a lot of trouble picturing you."
"Oh!"
"Well 'goddess' and 'vision of loveliness' don't actually inspire what you look like."

Sabrina looked at Max and his fur was all on end, she had to giggle. "Thanks Max, that was sweet." She moved over to him and gave him a mild kiss on the cheek. His ears moving straight up told her she hit the spot.
"Thanks." Max said as he calmed down gently rubbing the spot where Sabrina had just kissed him.
"If you'll excuse me a few moments I need to get this computer packed, then we can sit and chat."
Max watched transfixed as Sabrina's white butt slowly moved away from him.

"Sure, can we help?" Maxine said.
"Yeah, I'd like that." Sabrina smiled.

It didn't take them long to get the computer packed and moved into the front area of the store. Little Cindy would have a computer to play on tonight. Max would have to go over later to set it up. Then they all gathered in the small lunchroom. Heather never ate there because it was far too small for her: she couldn't even turn around in its confining space.
"Coffee?" Sabrina asked.
"Yeah!" The two black rabbits answered in unison.
As Sabrina poured the coffee, she remembered something important, "Oh geesh!" Sabrina swatted her head lightly in stupidity.
"What?" Max said.
"I forgot to pack the Heather doll in the box."
"Heather doll?" Maxine questioned.
"I'll take one with me, Sabrina." Max turned and addressed his sister, "It's a doll that looks like Heather, she had them made up for kids who buy a new system. They're cute, wanna see one?"
"Sure…" Maxine said bewildered, who the heck was Heather?
"They still in the storeroom Sabrina?"
"As far as I know." Sabrina said as Max left the room.

"You know this is almost as strange as the first time I met my sister."
"Huh?" Maxine said, still confused.
"Max didn't tell you that either? Aww Max." Sabrina looked disappointed.
"Huh …what?" Max said as he came back into the room with a small plush doll. His keen hearing picked up almost everything as he gently put it down on the table. It was a tiny plush replica of Sabrina's sister in a sitting position. Its arms were bent at 90-degree angles, in many ways it looked just like Sabrina from the waist up.
"Hey this looks like you!" Maxine said in surprise looking at the doll then back at Sabrina, funny thing though the doll was a taur. "Max?"
"I …" Max said looking like he was trying to crawl under a rug.

Time to let Max off the hook, Sabrina thought. "Well Maxine, as I was saying, you're not the only twin around here. I'm one myself plus I have some very interesting set of sisters."
"Oh?" Maxine turned her head and gave Max the evil eye.
"I would have got to it… eventually." Max said fidgeting in his seat, trying to save himself but with no real relief in sight.
"Well, tell me about your twin and your sisters since Max here is all hush hush about it." Maxine said as she put the doll down and with a big smile took a sip of her coffee.
"It's an interesting story."
"I like stories." She also liked this coffee 'mmmm' she thought.
Max's eyes just rolled, "Sis, you're not going to believe this one ... it's a doozie."
Maxine's eyes opened wide. "Sabrina?"
"Max is right, prepare yourself for this is a very strange tale."

Maxine was awestruck as Sabrina began to tell her the tale. As she kept going, Maxine's mouth dropped open wider and wider.
"Sabrina…I… I..."
"It's ok Maxine; it's a lot to handle all at once. I at least, got to meet them one at a time. Although Ti is the most awe inspiring, Ezzy also takes a bit of getting used to. Seeing yourself doll size, walking around talking, well…"
"I don't think I really can imagine that." Maxine said as she looked over at her brother and smiled, she winked, it was her small way of showing him that she liked Sabrina. "So, Heather, your sister owns this store?"
"Yeah."
"Now I see why the doll is a 'taur." Maxine picked up the plush doll again, it was well made she noted.

"Yeah…Heather's been ill and hasn't been back here in quite awhile. Max, Hector …Heather's fiancé… and me, have been holding down the fort; so to speak, until she returns."
"Well Max is a wiz with computers; you don't know how many phone calls I've made to him to get mine to work." Max rolled his eyes out of Maxine's view remembering those calls, his sister didn't know anything about computers. Sabrina giggled to herself knowing exactly what Max was thinking.
"That's good to hear, just like Max to help out where needed." Max made an 'OK' symbol with his fingers. "So how long will you be staying?"
"A few more days, I've never been here before. A newbie, so to speak."
"That's great, would you like to go and meet Heather? The hospital isn't too far from here."
"Sure that sounds good, just us girls."
"I think she'd like that." Sabrina smiled and sipped at her coffee.

Later on that morning Max returned to the store without Maxine, to Sabrina's surprise. She was sure that she'd be back; she was a sweet surprise actually. To see them both together was a treat. She now understood how it must look to others when she's around Sabrina or Heather or any of her sisters.
"Hi Max…ah where's Maxine?" Sabrina put the scanner up to one of the games and scanned it into the inventory list.
"She wanted to check out the mall, so I'm going to get her a little later." He smiled and was about to go back to the computer lab when he heard Sabrina clear her throat.
"Ahem…Max…ah can we talk?"
"Ah…sure Sabrina."
Sabrina led Max back to the lunch room and sat down. He didn't understand what this was all about but he sat down at the table opposite her, his thoughts were only of how beautiful she was . "Ok Sabby, what's up?"

She smiled and took his paw, which for her at this time of day was unusual.
"Max… do you love me?" She said in such a manner that it made Max gulp.
Max's eyes opened wide and stared at Sabrina's lovely face, "Sabrina...I…"
"Max…I know you like me and we make a good team. Heaven knows I've enjoyed sharing my bed with you." Max's ears folded up behind his head, he didn't like to brag too much but he did feel that he gave Sabrina a good time. "But as of late I've felt a bit different…due to some new insights lately."

Max suddenly began to panic, "Sabrina you're not ill are you?" With all Sabrina's sisters in some sort of health crisis it wasn't fair that it was to be Sabrina's turn.

"No Max…just a little morning sickness." Max's ears and hat shot straight up about 3 feet and Sabrina thought he was going to faint dead away. She quickly decided to let him off the hook. "Sorry Max I just couldn't resist playing a little joke on you but seriously, with my sisters all striding along in life…I mean finding a partner to share their lives with…well… I feel a bit…ahmmm…left out. Do you understand where I'm coming from?"

Her eyes sparkled, she was a vision of loveliness and Max knew exactly what she was looking for. He had been avoiding the conversation for in his mind he was thinking about this as well. He looked into Sabrina's eyes and found love staring back at him. He was sure that she wanted him as much as he wanted her but it seemed there was a small lingering doubt. Maybe this was why she proposed the question to ease her mind of all affairs.
"I guess I do understand Sabrina. I know what you want me to say but is it me you really want?"

There he gave her the out if she wanted to take it; at this point, if she did he knew his heart would break into a thousand shards of despair. He had discussed this scenario over with Hector and man his heart went out to him. He now understood what Hector meant when he said, 'He never understood his feelings until Heather was gone'. He gulped, he didn't want to lose Sabrina now; he didn't even want to think about it, he knew he couldn't live his life without her.

Sabrina interrupted his thoughts by tugging on his paw, "Max…I don't want to corner you." She didn't want him to think that. "That's not my intention. I just want to know ... are we a couple now?"

Her eyes sparkled, how could he deny her anything. He smiled and leaned over and kissed her lightly on the cheek, then he said softly. "I've always envisioned us as a couple; that's if you'll have me."
Sabrina turned and kissed him deeply, it seems he had his answer. His heart soared to the heavens above, this was a moment he would cherish and remember forever.

Endora's Interlude.

As with all things, all things must come to an end, it's not pleasant sometimes especially when it is someone close to you. So it goes with one certain Endora Mustelidae. The phone had rung early that morning, the news hit her hard but in the back of her mind she knew it was only time that had kept it from coming. Her mother had been frail, not well and her memory was failing. It had been inevitable; the news still hurt though.

Plans were made and preparations for the funeral were finalized. Most of her mother's things had been stored a long time ago, at the time she didn't know what to do with them. As a consequence, they had been somewhat forgotten over the years. Endora was an only child; well that not being entirely true. She had been born with a twin sister that died at birth -it was something that very few knew and she kept it that way- and so she had the only claim on her mother's estate. However she wasn't entirely sure she really wanted it.

The funeral was lovely, it reminded her of her Father's. Her Mother would have basked in its splendor. To her surprise the most beautiful flowers there were from Sabrina's boss Zig Zag. They adorned the room everywhere, she couldn't believe it. The subtle pinks, whites and yellows, it must have cost a small fortune. She put it in the back of her mind that she would have to thank her personally.

Many tears flowed that day and many more after that, but she had Warren, a pillar of strength beside her. She loved him and she was glad he was there. She had called Margrette the night her mother died and that had helped. She had volunteered to come but Endora put her off, saying she had her own problems. When they, Kathren and Margrette arrived at the front door late that night she cried and cried. She would make it through this ordeal, just like she had with her father. This time though she had to rely on others and not her mom.

For many nights she thought about her Mother's things all stored away, awaiting her decision of what was to happen to them. She wasn't sure, Tabitha was too young for any of it. Sabrina, however, was at a point where Endora could be a great help; her up coming marriage to Chris would let her give Sabrina some nice things to start off. She was sure that there was enough to give all her daughters something.

She phoned Sabrina the next day and discussed her plans, turns out she was happy to help. Endora felt so much love from her, she could see so much of herself in Sabrina when she was her age. Ti, Swallow, Heather even Ezzy all seemed to have some of her traits. She loved all the new additions to her family, most of all Swallow.

A tear rolled down her cheek at the thought of her, for Swallow had taken a place in her heart that now felt hollow and only her voice and new love for life could fill it again. She sighed knowing that it was going to be a hard road without her. She had hoped to watch her grow into a lovely young fur, get married, maybe even have children. Swallow would have been an excellent mother. In her mind, she would never give up hope but the police had no leads at this point. Peter Byrne had come to the funeral and to Endora it was one of the nicest things to see on that day. He felt so bad each time he'd call to say they hadn't gotten any further into the case ... she felt sorry for him, he was trying so hard.

The sun rose to produce another wonderful day, Warren had rented a truck to move all the stuff back to the house. Amy, Sabrina and Thomas arrived soon after they had pulled into the storage warehouse site. It seemed that today was moving day. Warren and Endora sat in the truck for a moment, it was quiet, too quiet for Warren.
"You going to be all right hun? We can do this without you, Amy could drive you back to the house." Warren still worried about his wife; for the death of her mother had really struck her hard. It hit harder than he had at first thought. She was different in ways he really couldn't put his fingers on.
"No Warren, I have to be the one to go through mother's things, it's up to me and no one else." Warren leaned over and kissed her cheek.
"Seems you're my knight in shining fur." He grinned.
"Oh you … so does that make you my princess??" She grinned and kissed him back, he seemed to always have something witty to say.
He smiled, "Oh look at me in such tattered clothes, oh prince how can you stand the sight of me?" He had raised his voice to over and above squeaky level.
Endora laughed, "Warren!!!"
"Shall we?" He motioned to the door.

Outside they said hello to everyone; seems Amy had found a sitter for Timmy for the day, so there was no real hurry to get finished. Thomas was grateful to help, since Mr. Mustelidae had helped him with getting him a job with a local firm. The much-needed cash helped him with the bills until he found a job within his field.

Warren was not optimistic at the moment as he looked at the locks on the storage bay doors; they were really old and rusty. He wasn't sure that the key would turn in them. Before trying, he looked to see if he had any oil, but found none.
Sabrina guessed what he was looking for, "Dad, the dipstick." Sabrina spoke up.
Warren eyebrows went up, "That's my girl, always thinking." He smiled and messed up her hair with his paw.
"DAD!" Sabrina exclaimed while the others laughed. "It's not funny…" But deep in Sabrina's heart she loved her Dad and she liked his little quirks, much to her hair's dismay.
With a few drops of oil from the truck's dipstick, the locks opened easily. With a great heave, Thomas and Warren opened the sliding door. A musty smell assaulted them right away but it soon died down as fresh air replaced the stale.

It was as they had left it. She remembered the day clearly; it was a month after she had put her mother in the home. At that time, she could not bear the fact her mother would never return to her home. So she had left it, until the day that she came to the realization herself. The move was hard because no one was able to help them that week, so it was her and Warren. Some of the larger stuff had to stay until they could get help but almost everything was taken away. When the house was empty, she didn't return to it, she knew it held too many memories. So Warren helped the real estate fur to sell the home, it really didn't take long. It was funny, Endora thought, one of her Mother's neighbors bought it. Now all that remained was furnishings. Warren moved the truck into position for easier access and began to uncover some of the things. Chairs, couches, tables and many other things big and small; it all had to be loaded.

One thing that Endora spied in the back was a chest of drawers, it was a beautiful piece. It had sat in her Mother's bedroom, it had a quality of splendor just like her. As she touched its smooth wood grain top memories of herself being brushed by her mother surfaced. She loved the way her mother had stroked her fur. Tears began to rise to her eyes and she struggled to hold them back but she couldn't. Sabrina saw and went to comfort her.

"It's ok Mom, let it out, we all understand." Sabrina smiled, she remembered her grandmother as a kind and fun fur to be with. She was thoroughly spoiled when she went to her house; Cookies and milk almost all the time, she missed that. "I miss Grandma too."
Endora stroked her daughter's face, "She loved you and your sisters." Sabrina looked confused, "What is it dear?"
"She knew?"
"Yes she knew about you and SJ, that was quite the conversation. We cried and cried, talked and looked at my baby pics." She smiled and looked at Sabrina, "I see a lot of her influence in you, we told her about Tabitha too but I think her mind was too far gone by then to really comprehend . But I know she would have loved them just as much." Sabrina nodded as Endora stroked the top of the piece of furniture again, pushing the sheet away as she did, " Mom really loved this piece."

Endora removed the rest of the sheet that was covering the mirror and stared at their reflections, just for a moment something odd hit her, something strange as she looked deep into the mirror's surface. She shook it off because there was work to be done but the feeling remained as she continued to stare at their reflection.
"It's beautiful, Mom."
"Huh…? Oh yes it is." Endora's mind came back to reality and as a reflex she pulled out one of the drawers. To her surprise she found it full of clothes. In her haste she must have forgot to empty this particular piece. "Oh…!!!" She said in surprise, staring at the fine clothes. "Looks like I forgot to empty this one. Sabrina dear would you get one of the boxes off the truck. It might be easier to lift this without the extra things in it."

Sabrina wiped her mother's tears away and gave her a hug for good measure, "Sure Mom, I just wish Kathren and Margrette hadn't had to leave so soon, we could have used their muscle."
"They sure have plenty of that don't they. Margrette has gotten bigger, I swear."
"You're right mom, I noticed, I wasn't going to say anything but she has gotten quite buff since I last saw her. She must be into some heavy training."
"I think its Kathren's doing but Margrette wouldn't be doing it if she didn't like it."
"To each his own I guess."

Sabrina made a quick trip to the truck and returned with a box, "Ah mom, have you heard any more from Martha?"
Endora started to gently remove the clothes, "No dear, she said she would call if they heard anymore."
"Mom this is so unfair, Heather, Swallow and now Ti…they deserve better."

Endora stopped what she was doing and hugged Sabrina tight, "I know, they seem so lost and fate has been so cruel to them but I have hope that things will turn around. Heather is getting better which is one good piece of news."
"Yeah SJ told me she looks better and she can walk if she tries real hard."
"She is made from good stock." Endora squeezed Sabrina even more.
"MOM!!!!!! AIR!!!" Sabrina gasped.
"Oops sorry lumpy…." She grinned.

Avatar: Sheeri artwork by Chris Morrison (c) Chris Morrison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cheetaur All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: