Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hybrids
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of hybrids?
I love em! Can't have a story without em!
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
They're pretty good... but they don't fit everywhere.
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
They're OK. I sit on fences for a living.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I don't like them. They don't fit in...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Boo! Hiss! Get outta here! Hybrids 5uX0Rz!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like swords.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

Solis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Hybrids Reply with quote

I was wondering...

What do you people think about hybrids in a furry world?

I'm debating on how closely to follow this aspect of my character. That... and I'm just a curious little bugger.

My opinion is, I think, rather obvious. Thus, I want yours.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like hybrids (take a look at me if you want a proof Wink).

However, in some stories they just don't fit.

For example, in Furry Pirates they said that interspecies marriage was socially NOT acceptible in earlier times. If you consider the purists I think that is quite correct. People only opose to something that strongly if its new. If there had been hybids around for centuries there would not be so much purists.

So, if only for history accuaracy I think hybrids won't fit in stories taking place a few centuries ago.

That's why I votes for the second option, even if I really love hybrids.

Hortmage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until I started reading Concolor's "Gone Wylde", I hand't given hybrids much of a thought. Someone like ZigZag could be given an interesting fur pattern because of some out-of-species breeding in their family tree, but that was it.

But in Gone Wylde, as well as Shirh Kahn's "From the Depths to the Heights," we see a whole new realm of interpersonal behavior due to a fur's parentage.

One of the ongoing debates in furry fiction is that most furs are treated just like hairy people. Rarely does a character's animal nature show in these stories. If you replaced the word "paw" with "hand", many of these stories would be unidentifiable from mainstream fiction.

And even with that, those stories fail. Because humans are a bigoted lot. We hate anyone who is different -- based on their skin color, their religion, their country of origin, etc. Yet, you don't even see that in most furry stories (and no, the lack of respect a predator species feels toward a prey species isn't the same thing).

Yet Concolor and Shirh Kahn have brought back this human failing, and in a way that makes perfect sense with furries -- the hatred of hybrids. The disdain a pure-bred feels toward mutts and those that mate outside their species.

Every story in the "Sabrina-verse"... (and if you dislike the term, sorry -- but it's the easiest way to encompass all of the spinoffs from the original works of Eric Schwartz and Max BlackRabbit)... has practically every "couple" being of mixed species. Except for Sabrina's parents, I can't think of any character that has married and raised young completely within their species and breed (and a golden retriever and a yellow labrador, while both dogs, still are producing "mutts").

So...with all of these mixed species relationships, either the couples are going to be unable to have kids, or they will have hybrids. So hybrids, whether you like it or not, have GOT to be acknowledged in furry stories.

Or...the stories have to be changed, to show a higher degree of within-species dating and mating. Because, just from what I see offered, it appears that (in this generation, anyway), no one is even LOOKING within their own species!! Makes you wonder how come there are so many perfect skunks/foxes/squirrels as the main characters...

Just my 2 cents, and my anti-depressant hasn't kicked in yet...

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reply to Hortmage, I think there are a majority of mixed species couples because they are more interesting. After all, there has to a good reason why their story is told and a mixed species couple is a good one. Has a kinda 'forbidden love' touch.

And BTW, everybody around here calls it the Sabrinaverse Smile

SkunkFox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey don't forget about my Hortamage! Nearly all of my main characters are hybrids, and in one case a mixed breed. So I know a whole lot about the little buggars! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrayzedWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE HYBRIDS.

I am especially fond of Tygons hybrid Lion with strips Oooooooh
and ZigZag (Damn sexy)

My Live Journal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrayzedWolf wrote:
I LOVE HYBRIDS.

Must I be worried? Shocked

Bearion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
CrayzedWolf wrote:
I LOVE HYBRIDS.

Another Raving Fan Fur Wink

Sslaxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Rave! Rant! Rant! Rave! DROOL! Reply with quote

Bearion wrote:
Tygon wrote:
CrayzedWolf wrote:
I LOVE HYBRIDS.

Another Raving Fan Fur Wink

snickers

Anyway, regarding the poll and it's subject, hybrids probably would fit into most stories, but not all. I'm considering how Sslaxx (a hybrid) would fare growing up. True, the stories are/will be set in the very far future, but children are still children, and sadly purists/racists will likely never be completely eliminated (but hopefully controlled more effectively than they are now).

Hmmm... and is Sabrina really such a 'pure' Skunk? Eric himself has said she may not be a pure Skunk...

Toric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like swords.

I'm a hybrid too. ^.^
Sponge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my fic, they're treated by the GBT (generally Badgers, which are evil, evil I tell you!) as a sort of underclass; they're discriminated against, unable to hold work in the higher echelons of society due to their lineage. They're rare, but reasonably prominent- Ganjhar (a fox-unknown hybrid) has deep-rooted psychological trauma which he just vents every so often.
It happens a lot- in an RPG I'm in, I have an iron Warriors Chaos marine of Imperial Fists geneseed (if you don't know your 40K, I advise you to stop HERE, as I am, indeed, the single oddest sentient in all six known universes), essentially a halfbreed. He gets hell. Read Graham McNeill's 'Storm of Iron' for an insight into how these halfbreeds are treated- you could bung Honsou in anywhere in a Furry story.

If you'll excuse me. I have to reassert my sanity.

But when people run in circles it's a very very...

Mad world.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rave! Rant! Rant! Rave! DROOL! Reply with quote

Sslaxx wrote:
Anyway, regarding the poll and it's subject, hybrids probably would fit into most stories, but not all. I'm considering how Sslaxx (a hybrid) would fare growing up. True, the stories are/will be set in the very far future, but children are still children, and sadly purists/racists will likely never be completely eliminated (but hopefully controlled more effectively than they are now).

Hmmm... It would depend on the background. Have planets in other star systems been colonizes or is verything still going on on Earth?

If the latter is the case I think everything would more or less still be as it is in the present time of the stories.

Now, if there is deep space travel, then there are more possibilties. I would like to use my story Feline Destiny as example. I figured, with other planets to colonize the furs would rather stick to ther own species or at least family of species. Parhaps not at first but evetually they would. I mean, let's face it, Hybrids are unnatural and they only occours because with all furs resticted to Earth some would HAVE to be attracted to other species soon er or later. With hundreds of planets available that would not happen. That's why in Feline Destiny (which shows my vision of the Sabrinaverse in the year 4917) there are almost no hybrids in the entire galaxy.

Of course, on the other paw, it also means that there are no purists. I mean, you can't fight something that isn't there.

So, I think in this time growing up for a hybrid would be diffult on one paw because they are almost none and he/she would definitely be viewed as an oddity, but on the other paw it would also be easy because there is no illegal organization bend on his elimination.

Sslaxx wrote:
Hmmm... and is Sabrina really such a 'pure' Skunk? Eric himself has said she may not be a pure Skunk...

Really? That are actually news to me.

Sslaxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rave! Rant! Rant! Rave! DROOL! Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Sslaxx wrote:

Hmmm... It would depend on the background. Have planets in other star systems been colonizes or is verything still going on on Earth?

If the latter is the case I think everything would more or less still be as it is in the present time of the stories.

Ah, ah, ah! You're assuming I'm writing in the Sabrinaverse here, aren't you? No I'm not. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ is the basic setting, modified somewhat for my own needs/tastes. I may take some ideas from the Sabrinaverse, but I'm otherwise not writing for it. I'm a bigger "Doctor Who" fan than I am a Sabrina fan.

Tygon wrote:
Now, if there is deep space travel, then there are more possibilties. I would like to use my story Feline Destiny as example. I figured, with other planets to colonize the furs would rather stick to ther own species or at least family of species. Parhaps not at first but evetually they would. I mean, let's face it, Hybrids are unnatural and they only occours because with all furs resticted to Earth some would HAVE to be attracted to other species soon er or later. With hundreds of planets available that would not happen. That's why in Feline Destiny (which shows my vision of the Sabrinaverse in the year 4917) there are almost no hybrids in the entire galaxy.

Hmmm... in the "Doctor Who" Universe time travel is also possible - albeit in a way that is very tightly controlled by the Time Lords (although Daleks, for one, do possess time travel technology). But back to your point... by 'almost no hybrids', in the galaxy that'd still equate to possibly billions (don't forget there are some 6 billion people on this planet - if you wanted to assume there are around 50 to 60 inhabited planets in this galaxy, populated with roughly 6 billion each that's at least 300 billion people in the galaxy). I'm just going to assume that hybrids are rare, but perhaps not as rare as they are in your story (perhaps 1-2% of the overall population).

Also to bear in mind is that by this time the course of genetics could well mean that there are only hybrids, in a sense.

Tygon wrote:
Of course, on the other paw, it also means that there are no purists. I mean, you can't fight something that isn't there.

So, I think in this time growing up for a hybrid would be diffult on one paw because they are almost none and he/she would definitely be viewed as an oddity, but on the other paw it would also be easy because there is no illegal organization bend on his elimination.

Sslaxx wrote:

Really? That are actually news to me.

He said something along those lines quite a while ago, I think. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then... what if...
Then that makes me...
OH MY GAWD NO! Shocked Shocked
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rave! Rant! Rant! Rave! DROOL! Reply with quote

Sslaxx wrote:
Tygon wrote:

Ah, ah, ah! You're assuming I'm writing in the Sabrinaverse here, aren't you?

No, I'm not. I just used it as an example because most people here write in the Sabrinaverse and Feline Destiny gives an excellent example for my theory how the hybrid population could develop.

Sslaxx wrote:
No I'm not. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ is the basic setting, modified somewhat for my own needs/tastes. I may take some ideas from the Sabrinaverse, but I'm otherwise not writing for it. I'm a bigger "Doctor Who" fan than I am a Sabrina fan.

Just as well. I've never seen "Doctor Who" so I really can't judge that.

Sslaxx wrote:
Hmmm... in the "Doctor Who" Universe time travel is also possible - albeit in a way that is very tightly controlled by the Time Lords (although Daleks, for one, do possess time travel technology). But back to your point... by 'almost no hybrids', in the galaxy that'd still equate to possibly billions (don't forget there are some 6 billion people on this planet - if you wanted to assume there are around 50 to 60 inhabited planets in this galaxy, populated with roughly 6 billion each that's at least 300 billion people in the galaxy). I'm just going to assume that hybrids are rare, but perhaps not as rare as they are in your story (perhaps 1-2% of the overall population).

In the case of Feline Destiny I'm talking about several hundred colonized planets (even if there is rarely one with more than 1 or 2 billion inhabitants) but only about 1000 hybrids in the entire Galaxy, probably the equivalent to one single hybrid in the present day Sabrinaverse.

Anyway, in the end it's your decision. I just wanted say my opinion and give an example how it could be.

Sslaxx wrote:
Also to bear in mind is that by this time the course of genetics could well mean that there are only hybrids, in a sense.

Also a matter of the background, how far genetics are developed and how much they are used in everyday's life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: