Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitness Irony
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What exercise do you do on a regular basis?
Walking (more than 20 minutes straight)
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Running
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Biking
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Sex
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Weight training
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Anything I didn't mention
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
None
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Fitness Irony Reply with quote

[rant]

Regan's gonna ace this thread in about five minutes, most likely. But posting beats my punching a hole in my wall. It would appear that fitness standards are TOTALLY arbitrary at this base. I had my last ergo test day before yesterday; these are my results (this reads like a personal ad, but I promise it isn't.) According to the AF, I'm 6'2", 182 pounds. That's 39 pounds under my max allowable weight. I'm--*looks down, sees ribs*-- I'm yes underneath my body fat measurement. 44 pushups, 80 situps. I can deadlift 280 pounds, handle 700 pound ECM pods for a living, and can run two miles in 16'25.

Yet according to fitness standards, I'm out of shape. Why? My heart rate. At the end of the ergo I have a set amount of time to drop my heart rate below 120 bpm. Mine dosen't. Between living out in the country as a kid, and not having a car, I'm used to running everywhere I need to go. So, my heart rate dosen't change once it gets to a certain place. This would be great if it kicked in at the start of the ergo. But, my family history nets me a naturally high heart rate (I topped out at 167 bpm). So, according to that chart I'm 41 years old and thirty pounds overweight. My rating is a 34; I need a 35 to pass.

The funny part is that one of the guys I came here with (who is no longer 'among the blue') passed his ergo with a rating of 71. His heart rate was low from the massive amount of alcohol, nicotine, and crack cocaine he was ingesting on a daily basis. Evil or Very Mad And now they want to put me in the 'fat boy program'. I'd be the only A1C in with a bunch of 20-year sergeants.

Any suggestions? Besides my getting anger management classes?

[/rant]

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use to do 1 & 1/2 hours of swimming every Monday for school PE but its stopped now.
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other then the so called "sports" played in gym, i pretty much dont do anything physical wise. The funny thing about that is that i can eat pretty much anything and i wont move a lb either direction. yessire bob im stuck at 190lbs..... Now the trick is to ask me to do something like run the mile lol i think my best time is 8 minutes for a mile Rolling Eyes
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fitness Irony Reply with quote

Jbird wrote:
[rant]

Regan's gonna ace this thread in about five minutes, most likely. But posting beats my punching a hole in my wall. It would appear that fitness standards are TOTALLY arbitrary at this base. I had my last ergo test day before yesterday; these are my results (this reads like a personal ad, but I promise it isn't.) According to the AF, I'm 6'2", 182 pounds. That's 39 pounds under my max allowable weight. I'm--*looks down, sees ribs*-- I'm yes underneath my body fat measurement. 44 pushups, 80 situps. I can deadlift 280 pounds, handle 700 pound ECM pods for a living, and can run two miles in 16'25.

Yet according to fitness standards, I'm out of shape. Why? My heart rate. At the end of the ergo I have a set amount of time to drop my heart rate below 120 bpm. Mine dosen't. Between living out in the country as a kid, and not having a car, I'm used to running everywhere I need to go. So, my heart rate dosen't change once it gets to a certain place. This would be great if it kicked in at the start of the ergo. But, my family history nets me a naturally high heart rate (I topped out at 167 bpm). So, according to that chart I'm 41 years old and thirty pounds overweight. My rating is a 34; I need a 35 to pass.

The funny part is that one of the guys I came here with (who is no longer 'among the blue') passed his ergo with a rating of 71. His heart rate was low from the massive amount of alcohol, nicotine, and crack cocaine he was ingesting on a daily basis. Evil or Very Mad And now they want to put me in the 'fat boy program'. I'd be the only A1C in with a bunch of 20-year sergeants.

Any suggestions? Besides my getting anger management classes?

[/rant]

Dude...I feel your pain.

When I was in, I lifted everyday, played raquetball as often as I could, Ran 10 miles per day, and ate like a freaking horse.
I weighed 225 Lbs at 6'2. Army standards? I was a whale. I was tape tested EVERY time. The first sergeant just shook his head each day I walked in. Measurements: 22 inch neck, 18 inch biceps, 60 inch chest, and 34 inch waist. I could do several hundred pushups, situps, and still roadmarch with a full ruck. Heck, I did that to earn my EIB. 2 mile run?11'15. I was required to attend fat boy classes. Yep. and I went in, was placed on the scale, was measured, and released. The first sergeant got his score, I got 1 day of extra duty, and we all went back to our normal jobs.

Now from what I hear your system is a touch different, and pretty assinine if you ask me.

Go to the class, ignore the stupidity, and go to the doc to get a profile that exempts you from that test.

oh yeah, jump rope for about 5 minutes. get into the groove of it, and watch yer heart rate plummet

Pflarrian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise? What's that? I don't technically get exercise as per se. I go to work. As an associate in the hardware department of the local Home Depot, I'm constantly on the move, 8 hours a day, walking everywhere. I had an odometer and a spedometer once. I topped out at almost 3.5 mph at a fast walk and average roughly 18 miles of walking per day, not counting the half-hour walks to and from work during the warmer months. Add to that the constant climbing of ladders while carrying weights to and from the overhead storage bays, and you've got your basic aerobic workout while on the job. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, it doesn't do much of anything for your abdomen. I've got this stupid spare tire I've been trying without success to get rid of for a decade, now. It doesn't want to go away... Evil or Very Mad
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't do anything anymore. I was playing tennis (2 hours a week of training and with my friends whenever we all had time) but I had to stop when I started working. Same goes for swimming. During my first job I was swimming at least 15 minutes every morning but when I got the other job (the one I don't have anymore now) my working hours wouldn't permit that anymore.

So all in all my biggest excercise is getting out of bed every morning Sad

Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do loadsa cross country biking during the summer and winter wherever thre's a trail nearby. Or I just go out with a friend somewhere on a cycletrack and climb the biggest hill we can find (usually Kelston roundtop).

I don't actually do any other exercise apart from that. Rolling Eyes
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the winters I have hockey twice a week, summer consist of my normal abuse to my body in terms of biking down dirt trails, football without equipment and maybe a few pushups when I feel I've been lazy

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise? I get plenty of the anaerobic kind. For example, last night Doris asked me to move the industrial freezer from the basement up to the kitchen. We had already emptied and defrosted it, but even then it weighs in at a bit over two hundred pounds. It's not far from the practical limit of my hand-truck, and VERY bulky. Joe (my 12-year-old son) held the doors for me and whatnot, and I was able to use my pickup truck to get it from the lower yard around to the side yard, and within spitting distance of the kitchen door, but the fact remains that I had to wrestle with the thing for the better part of an hour and a half.

It beat me up pretty well, but I got a decent workout from the experience.

As far as "regular exercise" goes, I don't really get any. We go to the YMCA occasionally, so the kids can swim, and I always jump in with them, but that's not really exercise. Which is a pity. I could make very good use of the results of regular exercise. My metabolism finked out on me about eight years ago, and I am currently some 20-25 pounds overweight. And it all resides around my middle. I look like a caricature of my former self these days. Razz

CrayzedWolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For excercise I just shoot some hoops or situps or pushups. (pushups are an owie)

My Live Journal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all try to avoid owies Wink
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, hence why i play paintball, lots of owie but grand amounts of fun

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bearion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise? Sheese. Other than elbow lifts with a fork in my right hand, and occasional 5-finger typing, I average two 20-25 walks (fast, aerobic type) a week. I really need to do better...sigh.

But really, I'm fighting nature here. Have you ever seen a skinny Bear? Wink

Good luck with the idiots in the AF, and I agree with Fishburne to see the Doc.

cyberhorn
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the damage diabieties has done to my legs and the removeal of a chunk of foot
this dragon tends to enjoy swimming but bikes most often with kyrin while towing the alex cat in his trailer Smile
it is hard to walk for long distances without the muscles in the legs protesting the over use
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too used too the heavy spoon lift, and do it regularly, 3 to 5 times a day

1 Drop and dig in to bowl...
2 Lift to mouth

Repeat often as necessary...

Spoon can be replaced with fork or a side of flesh with bone attached... Yes, I'm a carnivore and proud of it! Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: