Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry for the sad note

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the sad note Reply with quote

I just needed to cry somewhere.

My cat Kilobyte, who I've been owned by these last nine years (since he was a kitten), was eased into the Summerlands tonight at roughly 8 PM. I was unable to be there, but my wife was, so his passing was with one who loved him at his side.

I had had a feeling this morning that it would need to be done, and that I would be unable to be there when necessary, so I had told him that I loved him this morning, before going to work.

It was kindest for him, since he effectively had no kidney function anymore, and had apparently developed an infection recently, elevating his white blood cell count. His kidney's having shut down had lowered his red cell count, too. The vet thought that she might be able to do something about it, but there were no guarantees. Yes, it would have been expensive to keep the treatments going, but if he'd had a good quality of life, it would have been worth it.

As it is, we now grieve not for him, who is no longer in pain, but for ourselves, who no longer have him to pet and hold and sit on our laps.

Sorry for the downer. I just know this crowd will understand. Thank you.

Kinsfire

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences on your loss.

One of our newborn pups died Monday at 11:21 am. I know your pain man.

Xaqtly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that, Kinsfire. I'm currently owned by three cats, and I've had each one of them since they were a tiny kitten. It's amazing how cats turn out if you simply raise them with lots of love and contact. It's going to be devastating to me when it's their time.

I've always had cats in the house, even when I was a young cub. About 15 years ago, one of our cats contracted feline leukemia, and we had to euthanize him... it was the only humane thing to do. He was in horrible pain all the time. The last time I saw him was at the vet's office. We had just been told our options, and after a good ten minutes of crying, we told them to do it. I held him one last time... and as he sat on my lap, mewling quietly in pain, he looked up at me and licked the tears off my face.

I cried for a week afterwards. I'm crying right now writing this. So you were right... I do understand, as I'm sure most others here do. To Kilobyte, I say peace be with you, little friend.

JamesPI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't say I know your pain, but I will soon. My dog of 12 (going on 13) years is in bad shape. She has severe arthritis and has cancer in her leg. We will have to put her down soon, and it's going to be hell.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hurts like hell, emotionally, but when you know that you've really helped them, it makes the decision much easier. It still hurts, because you love them so much, but at least they're at peace.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deepest condolences, Mon ami . I've had to do that for one dog who developed an inoperable tumor that was slowly choking her to death and I dread the coming of the day when I have to do it for either of the two cats who own us.

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I married Doris, I got her Dachsund, Bridget, in the bargain. A more loveable and fun-loving little pooch you never met. But she was eight when we married, and by the time she was thirteen she was mostly blind, incontinent, and limped badly from advanced hip dysplasia. Having the vet put her to sleep was one of the more traumatic things I've ever had to do. Crying or Very sad We cried for two weeks.

The dog who currently inhabits our hearts, Ruby, will soon be nine. She's a mixed breed terrier and still thinks she's a kid, though I believe I can detect early signs of cataracts.

Our cat, Tinuviel, who is not quite eighteen months old, had a litter of three kittens a couple of weeks ago, and they just opened their eyes in the last day or so. Looks like we'll have cats for a good long time. Very Happy

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know the feelin though as I have had to say good bye to several cats that I have loved. May you alwas have fond memories of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: