Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-mail problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: E-mail problems Reply with quote

I'm having a hell of a time trying to send anything via PF e-mail. I think I've got everything set properly, including the fact that the login name needs to be "[email protected]" (minus the quotes, of course Smile ). Last time I tried to send anything, I was informed that relaying is forbidden.

Huh? I had the thing set for the PF server!

Can someone post the process for getting e-mail set up, or am I going to be forced to go over to webmail on this?
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the usual settings (host name for SMTP, port number, ...) you have to set it to use "SMTP Authentication" (or whatever it is actually called) and enter the password for it. Not all mail clients can do that, especially older ones.
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless is correct. Here are all the settings you will need. I will leave this as generalized as possible:

POP3, IMAP (incoming) - mail.planetfurry.com
SMTP (outgoing) - mail.planetfurry.com

(don't worry about specific port settings, they should be fine at their defaults)

Username - [email protected] (or #planetfurry.com for some clients)
Password - whatever your password is

SMTP Authentication should be enabled. Almost every email client has this capability, and if it doesn't, consider switching to one that does. Please consult your email clients help area for more information, as I am unable to post all the different instructions in one post... and not have it too cluttered. Wink

Outlook (and I think Outlook Express) have a feature called SPA, or Secure Password Authentication. Don't enable this.

If you have any problems with a specific client, please PM me, or email me if you have access to another email address.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
SMTP Authentication should be enabled. Almost every email client has this capability, and if it doesn't, consider switching to one that does. Please consult your email clients help area for more information, as I am unable to post all the different instructions in one post... and not have it too cluttered. Wink

Ah-ha! I repeat - Ah-ha!

I use Opera Mail. Turns out v6 DOESN'T support the above, but v7 does. Guess who's upgrading?

Kinsfire

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
I use Opera Mail. Turns out v6 DOESN'T support the above, but v7 does. Guess who's upgrading?

No, wait... don't tell me....

You? Wink

Is the version you are using running on Windows or Linux? If Linux, have you tried Ximian Evolution? I've been using it for a few years now and I really like it.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it in one!

It's Windows, unfortuantely. Some of the programs I like are only Windows based. (Although, with that 120 GB hard drive I just put it, I could probably safely dual-boot now...)

Thanks, BTW - it was getting frustrating. I set the system to delete my messages from the server when I download them - considering the LARGE number that had apparently been stored there, I think we're both going to be happier now...

In case I didn't say it before - thanks. It's working now.

Kinsfire

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, dual boot bites. Wink Get VMware and run Linux on Windows, or Windows on Linux, etc. Pretty kewl. Smile Kinda pricey, but who said you had to get it that way. Smile
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever could you mean? *whistles tuneslessly* Laughing

I actually have a copy of an old version...think it's time I look into getting a newer version...

Rava

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem sending mail.... I can recieve it fine but I cant send out
Kayngi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:

Check with your ISP. A lot of 'em are blocking the send-mail port to try and prevent spamming; usually you can use your local ISP's SMTP server for sending out in that case.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:

Please be more specific. Is it not able to login, is it giving you a specific error, etc.

Also, make sure you are using the following information and have set it correctly in your email client:

POP3/IMAP Incoming: mail.planetfurry.com
SMTP Outgoing: mail.planetfurry.com

Both Incoming and Outgoing servers need you to login.

Username: yourusername@planetfurry.com
Alternate: yourusername#planetfurry.com
Password: yourpassword

Do not enable SSL encryption. Some email clients make it difficult to locate the SMTP Login feature, but it is there somewhere.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
Check with your ISP. A lot of 'em are blocking the send-mail port to try and prevent spamming; usually you can use your local ISP's SMTP server for sending out in that case.

If that is the case, tell them to unblock the port. It isn't their responsibility to protect that port, but the people running the servers (a.k.a. Planetfurry, etc.).

Worst case scenario (if they want to be completely bass-ackwards about it, like one I recently had), just use theirs.
Rava

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: Question for you ladies--', Account: 'mail.planetfurry.com', Server: 'mail.planetfurry.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Error: - Sub Rule 371', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69
Rava

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just stopped sending a few days ago without any changes being made to the program
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:
An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: Question for you ladies--', Account: 'mail.planetfurry.com', Server: 'mail.planetfurry.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Error: - Sub Rule 371', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

What program are you using? This looks like an Outlook [Express] error.

Try pinging mail.planetfurry.com:

Start Button, Run: cmd

ping mail.planetfurry.com

If you don't get a response, you may have been blocked. I'll check the firewall to see if your IP is in the block ruleset.

Edit: ----
It appears that you have an invalid IP address. It's last octet is 0, which is not a usable address. If you use dialup or some other service using dynamically assigned IP addresses, you may want to reset your IP. You would need to call the ISP in some cases.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: