Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you pay monthly/yearly to support Planetfurry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pay for Planetfurry?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
No
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use PayPal, but as a pseudo-"financial institution" they have lost my respect and business. There are too many legal problems surrounding the company right now anyways, and I'd rather not have any money, whether mine or donated.

Plans for having another donation method are in the works, but right now I haven't had the time to work on it.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the fur who has spent the last 20+ years on the 'net and using its resources without paying a dime.

Not that I'm a stingy and greedy bastage. But becuase a) I can and b) I need too.

Unfortunately, if it comes to paying, if the cause is needed then I'll pay for it.

But consider that if one is going to pay for service then one is going to "want" certain things from the service that was not availble before. With what does the price of paying give? Membership? Added privilges to that membership?

Running a server is not easy, I know- I "have" one, currently down, but I have one. So does several furs here also have their own servers. So the lot of us knows that its expensive.

About PlanetFurry; it has been good to me. Thank You Whiplash for doing such a great job with it. As for a choice that I need to pay for the service, then I would have to say yes- but at what cost?

Considering that the lowest (without being free) ISP that I know of on NYC is $5 a month. Of course this does not include many services. Though PF does not include connection, it does include service. At $10, one can get an ISP connection w/services. Is PF work $10 a month? It is, and more.

but my budget constraints I admit limits me to $10 a month or less. And honestly- that is all I can afford- in 2 lump sums for a yearly membership.

Where do I send the money order to?

Gimme time, if I win the lottery- Whiplash wont have to worry about problem like these! Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
This is the fur who has spent the last 20+ years on the 'net and using its resources without paying a dime.

Even for access? Wow, that's a neat trick. Care to share the details with the rest of the class? Wink

Quote:
Not that I'm a stingy and greedy bastage. But becuase a) I can and b) I need too.

Unfortunately, if it comes to paying, if the cause is needed then I'll pay for it.

Like I mentioned before, the situation right now is that paying would be optional, not a requirement.

Quote:
But consider that if one is going to pay for service then one is going to "want" certain things from the service that was not availble before. With what does the price of paying give? Membership? Added privilges to that membership?

That's part of the question I asked. What would be the incentive to pay? More space? More capabilities, like CGI or SQL server access? Things like that.

Quote:
Running a server is not easy, I know- I "have" one, currently down, but I have one. So does several furs here also have their own servers. So the lot of us knows that its expensive.

Your right. I don't like to complain about it, but at times having dedicate the time and money towards it poses some problems in real life. I have to balance it, how much time/money I can spend on it without it affecting myself, my job, etc.

For the most part, I am happy that Planetfurry was set up to begin with. Initially it was a place where users displaced by the server problems Furnation had a few years ago could sign up, get space and email, etc. It grew a little when the BBS was installed, and when we set up individual forums it grew even more.

The problem is now, I have less funds available to work with, and areas of my budget for the server have now been affected. For example, there is a software upgrade that I was planning on getting, but that has been canceled for the time being. (this is not referring to the BBS, this is back-end software for the OS)

I don't think I'm even near the situation of making paying a requirement for membership to Planetfurry. Doing so would only mean the beginning of the end of Planetfurry. I've seen this happen to several services before, both furry and general in nature, and I didn't like it. It wouldn't be fair to the people who worked so hard on supporting this site, and to those who can't afford to pay for comparable service elsewhere.

Quote:
About PlanetFurry; it has been good to me. Thank You Whiplash for doing such a great job with it. As for a choice that I need to pay for the service, then I would have to say yes- but at what cost?

Considering that the lowest (without being free) ISP that I know of on NYC is $5 a month. Of course this does not include many services. Though PF does not include connection, it does include service. At $10, one can get an ISP connection w/services. Is PF work $10 a month? It is, and more.

but my budget constraints I admit limits me to $10 a month or less. And honestly- that is all I can afford- in 2 lump sums for a yearly membership.

That's what I'm asking. I have a few ideas, but I want to get better figures. I've seen pay-for sites that range from $20/year, to $5/month. (but to be honest, even these come short to what it costs to keep the server up)

Quote:
Where do I send the money order to?

That is still to be determined.

Quote:
Gimme time, if I win the lottery- Whiplash wont have to worry about problem like these! Mr. Green

Smile Same here. Why does it seem like the people that have no idea what to do with the money, or those that have a ton already, win things like this? Wink
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
To answer that question, I already have. To date you have not charged for the service but I feel PF is worth it and have donated the amount I am being charged for my mirror site. You give us good service in view of the fact that you do this alone.

Even if you don't set a fee I will continue to show my gratitude.

And I really do appreciate the support that you and others have shown by donating. Some of the donations I've received were very much appreciated at times. Wink

Please understand though that I am just trying to gauge what others would expect to see as decent payment, and what incentive they should see to want them to do so.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've seen which is a very good item for such things is a thermomitor that indicates how much of the server's cost is being covered. I don't know if you have to pay a hosting fee or not, but you might think about something like that for the PF folk.

Again, some sort of donate button would be the best bet. Perhapse you should look into a real comerce account so you can take credit-cards over the web.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cast my vote for payment. I think such things as extra space for your (meaning the paying customer) site, and things of that nature, are a good idea.

I'll gladly toss my shekels and drachma your way. (No Yap Islander money, though. Smile )

Kinsfire

Bearion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
I don't like to complain about it, but at times having dedicate the time and money towards it poses some problems in real life. I have to balance it, how much time/money I can spend on it without it affecting myself, my job, etc.

For the most part, I am happy that Planetfurry was set up to begin with. Initially it was a place where users displaced by the server problems Furnation had a few years ago could sign up, get space and email, etc. It grew a little when the BBS was installed, and when we set up individual forums it grew even more.

You did a fantastic job, too. Prior to the attack, this BBS was one of the most feature rich, smoothest running phpBB boards I had found. I could well understand you spending hundred's of hours in tweaks and patches enhancing it to where it was.

Then some Bunghole screws it up. Evil or Very Mad It's usually just not as much fun the second time around.
Whip-lash wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:
To answer that question, I already have. <snip>

And I really do appreciate the support that you and others have shown by donating. Some of the donations I've received were very much appreciated at times. Wink

Please understand though that I am just trying to gauge what others would expect to see as decent payment, and what incentive they should see to want them to do so.

I, too gave a small donation last year. Even though I don't have space on the server, I found I averaged 2-8 hours a week reading the stories or following the messages on the BBS. As an on-line community, Planetfurry passes beyond mere entertainment offering outlets for conversation, camaraderie, and commiserating. That, is priceless.

But Server Hosting costs. I donated because:
A.) if I can't provide content, I can support those who do.
B.) At the time I could.

I will continue to do so as long as I am able.

We’re with you, Whip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NovaFox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a student I am always very short cut with my money (the semesters at the TFH are expensive enough : over 200€ per semester), so I'm for Mike Regans idea to donate money on their own free will and to hold the costs at a low level. On the other side : What would happen if I don't pay? Would i get spam and popups, like at web.de for example?
Concolor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
I'll gladly toss my shekels and drachma your way. (No Yap Islander money, though. Smile )Kinsfire

Shocked Yap Island money?!?!?

Ohhhhh, my achin' back!

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel terrible that I don't have any way to help. I have a job, but we are scratching the bottom of the barrel every month currently, and until I can land a better job then I won't be able to.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

If you're looking for an alternative to PayPal, what about www.regsoft.com?

Yes, I know that it's made primarily for selling ShareWare(I write software also, so use this service), but it should be possible to use it to pay for services, also...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
NovaFox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm regsoft is okay, but a whiterabbit I don't have the money to pay anything exepct my telephone bill.
cyberhorn
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick if you put a donate button it will happen
let me know and this dragon will be the first if possible
i cant give a lot but i can give ...

you like furnation did in the begining are providing a huge service to the furry comunity without people like you artists of all kinds would have to jump through many hoops just to get a little space which like some servers tend to steal the artists work (this applies to art in print or image)

this dragon does not read or write much as he spends a lot of time studying but one day he will get the chance to read brina squared, zzstudios sabrina online and all the things he has been missing

with out space to hold them these fine literary works will disapear..a loss to readers and the comunity in general
thus i can and will donate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Plain and Simple
Chaos Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....That was me, I forgot to log in!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: