Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you pay monthly/yearly to support Planetfurry?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pay for Planetfurry?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
No
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Would you pay monthly/yearly to support Planetfurry? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and it appears that a few other people are thinking about it as well.

To help with some of the costs of hosting Planetfurry, as well as a few other sites hosted on the server, would you pay a monthly or yearly fee for space? If so, how much? And what site services would you require for having paid?

Just an idea. I don't plan on dropping any free services.

Last edited by Whip-lash on Fri May 23, 2003 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say, really, as money is still really tight for me at the moment, and Daniel and i still have several debts to pay off, yet. I wouldn'ty want to lose my PF space, even if I haven't updated in a while, for that fateful day that I actually finish something. Rolling Eyes

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still hasn't been decided that we are even going to do this yet. I'd just like to get some feedback concerning it. Nothing has been set in stone yet.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please clarify your question:

"Do you want to pay?" or "Would not mind if you had to pay?" or "Would you pay if you had to, rather than see it shut down?"

Would you charge for access or only for hosted sites, ... ?

Depending on how much you need, the first step might be to set up a place to donate.

Personally, I would not mind paying and I probably would have donated something if:
*) You put up a link to how / where to do it.
*) I had a method for transfering the money.

Sorry, I don't trust PainPal enough to do business with them. (After all the stories I have heard about them.)

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do you want to pay" - That's pretty much how I put it...

"Would you mind if you had to pay" and "Would you pay if you had to, rather than see it shut down" - These don't apply, since I will not make a global requirement for fee-based hosting. The server would be either change ownership to someone else who can afford it, or go down. I don't see that happening.

I wouldn't charge for access, just for the hosting. I have never been a fan of a subscription to the visitors. Site admins that do that are begging for low traffic.

A donation link was in place before, but due to legal problems surrounding PayPal and eBay (not to mention they aren't even a real financial institution), I have removed the donation link that used PayPay for good. As for donating in general, I may do that, then again I may not. Depends on the response I get for this. I also need to find a replacement medium to transfer funds. But that is another topic in an of itself...

This poll is just so I can get an idea of what members of Planetfurry have in mind if there was an option to pay. Paying for the services would mean an upgrade from the free service. A good example would be like Yahoo Email... okay.... bad example, actually.

Anyways... you would get more space, more options (own domain name, more email accounts, etc). This was also covered in the question, as to what would be an acceptable upgrade in services.
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll gladly pay a yearly fee for website hosting, and to help keeping the server maintained. I'd gladly want to one of PF's benefactors, if you'd be interested in going that route I'd like to help. As I'm sure everyone here will agree with me on this, If you need any help to keep PF upto date then I'm certain everyone here will gladly pay to keep PF up, and maintained. You've been paying for this by yourself for to long, and we appreciate it immensly Whip. Now let us put our money where our mouths are and give ya paw.

SkunkFox
I know I make no sense this is due to sleep deprivation.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay?

Yes

What do I expect for it?

The same level of what I receive now!

Whip, just let me know, and I will (somehow) fit it into my budget!

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
Pay?

Yes

What do I expect for it?

The same goes for me, Whip.

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Fishburne wrote:
Pay?

Yes

What do I expect for it?

The same goes for me, Whip.

Cateagle

Same here things may be tight but I would figure out some way to pay.
This is the Online community I Belong to.

IronRaptor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd gladly pay a monthly fee, but... the thing is, being Canadian, $20 monthly fee would be like... $40 CDN. Once I get a steady job that pays more than $120 a week, my money is as good as yours Whip.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... if you had a nice, prominant "DONATE" button conveniently placed at the top of the forums, then you might find folks would send you cash more readily...

Keep in mind that I'd still be willing to pay for hosting on PF if I had the money simply because I like this setup and feel that supporting it is only fair. It's not like I actually need PF to host my strip or story archive, I just like the fact that it's a central base of operations for my friends.

I understand the need for some sort of income to help support the site. Please let us know how to get it to you and what you need. I'm sure that you'll find there are plenty of us willing to help the cause.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt know if it would be best to pay or not, as I dont pay for hosting when I buy an address, it comes free with the £15/2 years I pay.
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as one who does not have a site here, personally, I would be willing to help out with the costs anyway. I haven't a clue as to how much server space my stories take up, but I bet it's a lot. As for how, you could always email those interested and give them a mailing addy for us to send checks to...
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately donate something, even thought i dont have a page hosted here. I also have to agree with Nameless on the paypal route. That would be a big mistake
Xaqtly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody else who doesn't have a site here, I would still pay a fee if it meant PF could keep running the way it is. And I agree, a big Paypal button somewhere might be a good idea. Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: