Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furry Hams?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Furry Hams? Reply with quote

KB2JYL on MAARC (2m) & KK2T (70cm) in NYC NY, around 1900 hours daily. Anybody out there?

Just to know.

-73's

KB2JYL, out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? #Crazy
Bearion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ham radio too??? Where do you find the time??? Laughing

You'll have to crank up the power on 70 cm to get the tropo-bounce all the way to Germany... Laughing

(and yes, I believe they used to do tropo-bounce somewhere around 20-70cm before we had satellites)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB2WUL - but I've got to get my rig set up again. (No room for it right now, and the mobile one needs to be installed in my car. Removable faceplate, to avoid losing this one the way I lost the last one...)

Kinsfire

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinfire: I walk with 3 handhelds in my bag; 1 2M, 1 70cm and a dual bander for both. Mr. Green

Bearion: Usually on the bus ride home I plug-in an ear piece and talk to the bag... Guarentees a seat for me for the long ride home. Twisted Evil

Also I have have the dual bander on at home until 9pm or later, usually set on the KK2T Repeater (440.50MHz). It was recently tested for "hearing" and it can pick up relatively weak or distant signals with ease... The furtherest was somewhere in Mid-Jersey somewhere by somebody pushing a mere 15 watts, or so he said.

Right now I'm trying to figure out something on Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz range in terms of long distance digial commications which is also free (the price range I can afford right now!). A few friends are in on it and hopefully by summer, I'll have my part of the city wireless, at least to a select private few.

I could get a tropo-bounce or a satellite-hop, both would be nice. But Newer Hams are doing something crazy- using the net to go in digital on one end and come out thousands of miles later on the other end. Along with repeaters here and there- its shrinking the planet in unheard of scales.

If anyone got a favorite frequency or repeater which I can hitch a ride on, within the 5watts I carry, I'll try to see to get on. Smile

More Info:
MAARC is on top of the GE Building, currently experiencing some problems.

KK2T is one of a couple that is on the UN building (or so I was told that is where it is)

Metro70 is on top of Mt Sinai Hosptial. Its been down for a while, and recently brought back up. I will be getting the frequencies for it and programming it into my radios soon.

It sure beats my boot-leg modified CB days, which I still have... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Bearion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Bearion: Usually on the bus ride home I plug-in an ear piece and talk to the bag... Guarentees a seat for me for the long ride home. Twisted Evil

Twisted Evil
Elfen_Furry wrote:
Right now I'm trying to figure out something on Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz range in terms of long distance digial commications which is also free (the price range I can afford right now!). A few friends are in on it and hopefully by summer, I'll have my part of the city wireless, at least to a select private few.

The key is with an external antenna. Cisco makes a PCMCIA card made for that...has dual ant jacks on the card, and one guy I talked to has done some interesting things them. Mostly embedded telemetry, but they can get some huge increases in range. Wearing a modified "beer cap" would work...you could get quite a few seats clearance with that rig! Rolling Eyes
Elfen_Furry wrote:
It sure beats my boot-leg modified CB days, which I still have... Very Happy

Ha! I started playing with ham radio in the early 60's modifying surplus ARC-5 transmitters. I was W6HNL (Has No License) I discovered I loved building the stuff, but really didn't want to talk to anyone. (yea, weird, I know) Never did learn Morse code....sigh Computers keep me more than busy enough now. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> elfen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: