Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it just me?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think France is trying to destroy the UN?
yes
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
no
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Rava

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: is it just me? Reply with quote

Is it just me or does France seem to be tryign to destroy what small amount of credibility the UN has left?

I'm sorry but who is going to walk into the oval office and say "Thanks for getting rid of Saddam, not that we needed you too, but you have to turn over the country to us now."

And lets face it I cant see Bush agreeing. As dumb as I think he is even I know he isnt that stupid!!!!
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't have the political knowledge to answersuch a question and if I would try anyway the answer would be influenced by the fact that I don't like France.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France seems to have developed an arrogance at the highest levels. They (meaning Chirac) seem to insist that the rest of the EU treat them as if France was in ultimate charge of the EU.

I think France and the US have basically exposed what people have know for years...the UN is, was, and always will be useless. It has no real teeth to it, and no one is going to give it those teeth unless THEY are in control of the teeth. (Did that even make sense? Laughing)

Kinsfire

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not intentionally, but they're doing an exceedingly good job of it. When you combine the "traditional" disdain the French intellectuals have for the US (I rather like Kissinger's comment viz French intellectuals understanding the President), deep French economic invovlement in Iraq, and Chirac's personal friendship with Hussein, you've got all the ingredients for just such a farce.

Elsewhere, someone suggested that after the fighting ends, Bush should allow the UN to appoint someone to oversee the rebuilding and democratization of Iraq; my responses was that I'd prefer the "Coalition of the Willing" appoint someone rather than the ineffectual and/or kleptocratic UN bureaucracy.

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few friends I have from France tells me of the ugliness that is there: A society that is willing to preserve their wine and cheeses before they attempt to preserve their language. And thats only a surface scratch.

Politically, they are corrupt. Corrupt to the point where they block websites and web-streams that oppose their views. They basically thumb their noses at the rest of the world and think the excrement they sit in is the best in the world.

You know- my opinion is that they can keep it. Next time Something happens to them that requires US intervention to save them, a-la WW1, WW2, Viet Man, etc..., We should just say no and watch them cry.

They think they are big enough to deal with the problems of the world that the US does everyday, let them get burned.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UN is not completely worthless...

As a Humanitarian agency, they are top notch.

As for what they try to do when waging war...

Thenthey suck. I agree with the appointment of a reconstruction chairman, but not much else.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
I think France and the US have basically exposed what people have know for years...the UN is, was, and always will be useless. It has no real teeth to it, and no one is going to give it those teeth unless THEY are in control of the teeth. (Did that even make sense? Laughing)

This is what the US is doing now.

I can't really say anything about what France is doing, none of the news sites carry any special news about them.

Other than that:
I'm not particularly fond of the French myself.

But what do you expect from the UN?
There are some 150 or so countries with interests that are often in direct opposition. Anything more than keeping them off each other's throat is a success. Agreeing on anything is a bloody miracle.

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get into these discussions very often, but with everyone trashing France lately, i feel someone needs to say something posative for them Razz .
I said no, because every country is entitled to their oppinion. Personally im against this war, but im not going to get into that (might start too many arguments with my views). All France has been doing is taking a stand againt the US because of what the believe is right. Its the same way with people in this hemisphere... some are pro war, and other arent... in the end everyone is entitlyed to say what they want, its up to the other people in the world to listen or not.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is one of those nations that tries to make sure that everyone does not see it's Mr Hyde from its Dr Jekyl.

Nearly every major conflict the US was in was because of France's ignorance to the truth that its putting itself in places where it does not belong. Viet Nam is an excellent example: The US was in North Viet Nam training troops so it could defend itself against China- By invitation of North Viet Nam! France was raking in what it could from its former colony in Indochina (South Viet Nam). A revolt happened, and France cried to the UN, demanding that since the US was already there, to get the US get France out of there. We got France out but in doing so we ended up in their mess and got all entangled in the war.

Secondly- 90% off all Terrorist Attacks were laughed from France. Why? Their airport security sucks. You smile and look happy- you're allowed through the gates like an emperor. You look like you had a bad day- you get a colonscopy. Terrorists, knowing this, plant bombs in planes in France with a smile. Where it blows up... they dont care! EX: Pan Am/Lockerbie indicent was launched from France.

Now, France runs the mega-huge conglomerate "World Bank", making impossible loans to poor nations, and if those nations default- the World Bank takes over the ecomonic and ruling sectors of that nation. If I remember correctly- Iraq has a loan from the French World Bank... but until the war- kept up with its mega-million monthly payments. So France does have its hand in this after all!

I show France no pity, for they think they dont need it themselves. You think thar we US Americans are arrogant somes of B****, try dealing with a French Man. Not only will they redefine meanings to words like Snobs, Prejudice, and Arrogance, but they will do their best to make you like it... Like their spoiled milk and sour grape juice products! Believe me, they would should you no pity and when you need it- they would not help you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this could get fun for me.... Twisted Evil

There is no difference between the people of a country, maybe the leaders, but not the people. There are those who are friendly and will help those in need, and those who will not. Just because a government is one way, doesnt mean that the people are that way. You are generalizing the population based on a few individuals.

(btw im not French, i just dont like to see anyone getting ganged up on)

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit Fox wrote:
Alright, this could get fun for me.... Twisted Evil

There is no difference between the people of a country, maybe the leaders, but not the people. There are those who are friendly and will help those in need, and those who will not. Just because a government is one way, doesnt mean that the people are that way. You are generalizing the population based on a few individuals.

(btw im not French, i just dont like to see anyone getting ganged up on)

1935 Nazi Germany
1990 Afghanistan under Taliban Rule
1985-97 Central Africa Tootsi Warlord Crisis
Pre 1990 South Africa Minority Rule
Pre 1985 Nicaraqua rule under Noreaga
Pre1980 Haitian Rule under Papa Doc
China under Chairman Mao
USSR under Stalin
Cuba under Castro...

Shall I continue?
All cases where the populance of a nation went along with its leaders and for all the wrong reasons did things they believed were right. France is no different.

Now if you want to talk about individuals, I'll list one, but I can much more but the sake of breverity I wont:
Albert Einstien from 1935 Nazi Germany

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a point on most of those, but in some of those cases, the masses when with the goventment because they were afraid to be called out themselves. People are scared when it comes to putting their lives in jepordy. I know that there are exceptions to that, as there is with everything.
Rava

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every been to France Honey? I used to live 15 minutes from the french border and yes I can say the French are the most pompus arrogent people I have ever seen. They are rude beyond compair and from the "proposals" I got at the ages of 6 to 10 are any indication the most morally bankrupt I have ever met. In no other country in Europe did my parents watch over me as much as they did when we were in France. The further inside the country the worse it got.

Do I have anything personally against the French. Not until this incident. Why? Because they broke the law and now they think they can dictacte to the rest of the world how things are going to be and not pay the piper. It's a farce that should not be happening but no one is going to charge France, Russia and China with crimes against humanity for re-arming a nation with international sactions against doing so. No one is going to hold these nations accountable for their actions and that is my problem with France and it's "diplomatic" solution bulls*!#.... All they are trying to do is cover their F*&^ing a$$e$.
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i cant really defend myself there Razz (never been to the country). Very well done Rava Very Happy

please dont hurt me......maybe just a little Wink

Concolor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I oughta drop my deux francs into the fracas.

As far as Chirac is concerned, I think France needs a new head of state. He should consider consulting someone or something BESIDES his anal sphincter when crafting foreign policy. If his goal was to alienate the maximum number of the wrong people, he's doing a stellar job.

But in considering the French people, I can draw on a tiny bit of personal experience. On two occasions I had to spend a week there, tooling around the country on business. With the exception of Paris, which was apparently populated by humanoid aliens from the planet UpYours, the French people I met were charming, gracious, and helpful. I visited every major area of the country, and found the same level of hospitality all over. Of course, I found the same (VERY EVIDENT) aversion to personal hygiene, but that's a cultural thing. They probably thought I smelled funny, too. Paris, I would not visit again on a bet. Buncha jerks.

Morally bankrupt? Well . . . . . yeah, I suppose so. Not that this country consistently occupies the high ground in that regard, but I'd have to say France is pretty well wide open to whatever, whenever, with whoever.

Two cents for two weeks. Take from it what you wish.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: