Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End Of A Chapter . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: End Of A Chapter . . . Reply with quote

Welp, today was my last day at work. I am now retired at age 61, something I never thought would happen.

A new Chapter begins tomorrow as we prepare for our move from Cali to Indiana. And you know, I was worried about this move, now I'm very apprehensive but I'm sure we will somehow make the move just fine.

Maybe now my creativity will come back to me. I haven't wrote much in over a year.

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the retirement! Maybe it's the age, as I'll hit 60 next year, and also retire. The muse sometimes takes that opportunity to smack us upside the head and say," No laying around! Get to writing!"

May your move be safe.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhhh, that explains the slow down (of writing) then …

In this case, relax, settle a bit and then … hmmmm, (who) let the dogs out!!
Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on making it that far. A lot of people I know (or knew, perhaps) haven't been as lucky over the last few years.

Good luck on your move too!

AKA Mogthemoogle
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well, good ol' U-Haul lost my original reservation so I had to make another one! Grr!! Now I can't get the truck until Sunday the 30th, delaying me by two days!

I think this stems from the mass exodus from Commiefornia. I keep hearing for every one person coming into Cali, there's six leaving. High taxes, high rents, traffic like you couldn't believe, high wages in Silly-cone valley whacking out the economy, engineers from Silly-cone valley living in motor homes parked on the streets.

I can't blame anyone for leaving here because the old S.F. Bay Area is gone, it's dead. The new Bay Area isn't worth investing time and money to live here. It's gotten to the point "Gentrification" is beginning to happen in our city. One of the current proposals includes tearing down a historic Fire House, a strip mall that includes our Round Table pizza, our best Goodwill type store and a damned good Hoagie shop. The replacement is multi-story "Stack 'em and Pack 'em" Condos and townhouses, all at full market price. No affordable housing offered.

/rant

Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya. NY state is not as bad but it's getting there.

Used to be that people left the hill country alone and stuck to the lakes... not anymore...

I'd like to transfer to PA.

I kinda miss when big city folk were afraid we'd eat their brains or summat.

AKA Mogthemoogle
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Kell an here a Guinness for safe travel my friend. Will be a few years before I start looking at hanging up the tool belt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.F. Thompson wrote:
Congratulations Kell an here a Guinness for safe travel my friend. Will be a few years before I start looking at hanging up the tool belt

You know, hanging up that toolbelt(meter & linesman's butt-set?) felt so good. It was also nice to know shi . . . things went sideways once I left. Two dayshift guys on light duty (bad shoulders from extension ladders) arguing over having to do fire alarm test and inspect on swingshift and the temp guy doing my inspection spot on swings arguing to keep the position. Rolling Eyes

And . . . U-Haul cancelled that 26' truck two more times. Yeah. Ended up getting a 20' truck at one place, a 6X12 trailer at another yard 47 miles away. Uh-huh. Still have a load of stuff we're not taking at storage along with a workbench and shelving for my brother still in the space. Will have to unload my toolbox drawers so we can get it into the truck, just a million small by time consuming things.

Learn from my mistakes; get ready to move long before the move date. Be eating on paper plates the last month. Every last crumb of stuff put in boxes, marked for the room they go in. I've actually seen tape that has "KITCHEN, LIVING ROOM," etc printed on it. Would have been nice for this move. Need to find a place to take an old, inop microwave and a t00b television.

I'll try to check in tomorrow if I can. This is getting hectic and my nerves are shot.

Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do ya one better! I just barely own anything. haha

AKA Mogthemoogle
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie wrote:

You, my friend, are sitting pretty then. Quick lap of the room, turn in the keys, gone. No so with this move (from hell).

The management allowed the workers doing renovation to the outside of the complex ("Putting lipstick on the pig") to put redwood wool or gorilla hair in the way, about 15 cubic yards of it, then another worker just left his truck at our complex, in the way. No way to back the U-Haul in, even if I did buy the damage insurance on it. She was warned in advance but failed to keep a handle on things. Loadout postponed until tomorrow. Gah. Crying or Very sad

Looks like I'll be paying a couple of extra days to U-Haul on this move. $60 per. Ouch.

Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellan Meig'h wrote:
Cookie wrote:

You, my friend, are sitting pretty then. Quick lap of the room, turn in the keys, gone. No so with this move (from hell).

The management allowed the workers doing renovation to the outside of the complex ("Putting lipstick on the pig") to put redwood wool or gorilla hair in the way, about 15 cubic yards of it, then another worker just left his truck at our complex, in the way. No way to back the U-Haul in, even if I did buy the damage insurance on it. She was warned in advance but failed to keep a handle on things. Loadout postponed until tomorrow. Gah. Crying or Very sad

Looks like I'll be paying a couple of extra days to U-Haul on this move. $60 per. Ouch.

Yikes. I've been through nightmare moves in the past as a kid and then again when I lost my home in 2013.

But now, well, I basically live packed. Who knew being poor could work to my advantage?

AKA Mogthemoogle
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well, been here since the 9th for Oct, got delayed getting in to the house until the 15th due to an inop control valve on the boiler. So, been in the house 11 days as of today (the 26th) and still unpacking. On that . . .

Packing; if your church offers to help you pack, turn them down with a polite "No but thanks for thinking of me." Empty boxes and partially full boxes were packed, speakers for the Blu-Ray system were lost, we gave away good items (bread machine, pyrex pans, printers, etc) just so empty boxes could be packed. I'm still a bit miffed, to say the least. An entire box of musical patch cords gone, a computer tower gone, other expensive, irreplaceable items not here. All because of some misplaced good intentions.

And, steam heat. Yes, a bomb in my basement, I've been told. So far, 15 therms for 11 days. Total bill was $30 for gas only. It was $18 when we were still in Commiefornia so I dunno, could get a bit pricey? Thermostat set at 70, may go to 69 to see if usage goes down.

Anyway, feels good to know we own this money pit outright, no landlord to dick with, two big garbage bins that are ours. Those that live in apartments can appreciate that.

That's all for now, I'll keep all y'all updated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: