Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is KWKAT dying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> KWKAT - Planetfurry NetRadio Station!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Is KWKAT dying? Reply with quote

In case anyone's still interested, last week Loafer left the KWKAT stream due to low listenership. I'm not sure how much longer Mwalimu will continue on his nights but it sounds like he's leaving or reducing his nights before long too.

Meanwhile, Sonicblu does occasionally still get on but not as regular as he used to.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that's kind of the nature of these things. Unless new blood comes in that's interested in what's going on, it fades away.

The server won't be going anywhere soon, but if nobody ever bothers to stream.....

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mwalimu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years ago when I began the show that would later be known as The Lion's Share, the only regulars at the time were SonicBlu and Racky. Some of the former KWKAT DJs still made occasional appearances, such as Kayngi, but nothing approaching a regular schedule. It was hoped that starting a show of my own would attract more listeners, which would attract new DJs and/or encourage some of the inactive ones to return. Having multiple programs on the schedule at different times would encourage us all to plug each other and to give listeners something to tune in to at multiple times of the day. Tune in because it's KWKAT and see who's streaming now.

At least that was the hope.

Things looked promising at first, especially when Loafer came on board to do a show. Despite frequent conflicts on Saturday afternoons I was able to catch Racky's show on numerous occasions. I also became a regular listener of SonicBlu and discovered some awesome music as a result of listening to his program.

But the hope fizzled.

No one else joined to start DJing. Aside from a couple of Christmas shows by Kayngi, none of the old DJs returned. Both SonicBlu and Loafer began simulcasting their broadcasts on Second Life clubs; while Loafer's show was pretty much unaffected, the format changes to SonicBlu's show to accommodate SL made it less enjoyable to me. Racky's show became inconsistent, and eventually I think he stopped DJing altogether (at least on KWKAT); it's probably been two years since I last heard one of his shows. And then earlier this month, Loafer dropped the KWKAT simulcast and now streams only on SL.

As for my show, I've had two regular listeners for the entire run, and a third former regular listener who is still an occasional listener, in addition to several other occasional listeners. I think the most people I ever had tune in at once was eight. My average listener count was probably highest about 1 to 2 years into the show. Lately it is seldom above 3, and increasingly I find myself asking, why am I still doing this? It's become time I could be spending on other things like writing, which I've become increasingly motivated to do since my push last year to complete On Location.

Consequently, I've decided to end my show's run once I hit the five-year mark. My first ever broadcast was on October 14, 2007, so (barring technical difficulties) my final show will be Monday, October 15, 2012.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SonicBlu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks. Bet you thought I had dropped off the face of the planet. Not sure if anyone else reads the forum posts, but I decided I might as well come out of hiding. Since I got onto SL and the servers of Planetfurry Radio changed, I noticed my listener ratio on the planetfurry servers dramatically decreased, to the point where I was lucky if I had more than one listener. At that time I was running shows on SL, so I had to change up my battle plan to suit the rules and regulations of the clubs I broadcast into. Come early 2012, my RL lifestyle became exceedingly busy, and eventually ate into my schedules for running Time Machine. I remembered being able to run a few shows off and on while living in the most dangerous part of town, and we were all wanting to move out of that area. Once we were set off to move into the place I'm in now, my RL work had doubled with the move, getting everything settling in, and being the only person in this household that is trying to keep on top of household duties, and the demand for my puppet show Oh! Pawpets! needing production work as well, I wasn't even able to even come online to the forums. Heck, I couldn't even enjoy a good video game, let alone jump onto the radio servers. At that time I would only be able to jump on the radio server in between household needs. By the time 2013 rolled around, I ended up changing computers, since the other one was getting too outdated for what I needed (mostly video editing) and the only computers that were available all had Windows 8, so I upgraded. I discovered that all of my other programs were Windows 8 compatible...except my version of Sam Broadcaster. Since I already paid for version 4 in full, my license did not cover the new 2013 version, so I would have needed to pay 100.00 for the upgrade in order for it to work on Windows 8, and that amount of money was a huge luxury to me. Since I couldn't make that much from doing radio gigs on SL to pay for the upgrade and no donations were coming in from my then current radio sets, I had no choice but to quit broadcasting the Time Machine Show and just stick with my Oh! Pawpets! productions.

Although I still can't afford to upgrade Sam Broadcaster, I have tried to look into some cheaper or free alternatives, and none of them were working for me. So in order for me to get back on the airwaves, I would first need 100.00 for the upgrade, enough free time in the midst of my production work, and for everyone else in the household to start helping out with the duties of the house (IE cooking, cleaning, etc.) Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the house that knows how to cook, everyone else has excuses as to why they can't help keep things clean in this place, and even my efforts on film productions had to be curtailed while I was out playing "housewife" becoming a constant slave to my own home. I'm really hoping that the new guy we're trying to bring into the house will be able to help carry the burden of household duties while I can concentrate on film work, and assuming I do get an extra 100.00 for the upgrade software, then the Time Machine may return again, but until that chain of events happen, it's pretty much been put on a very huge hiatus.

Just thought I would jump into PF forums and give everyone an update as to why I haven't been on to run the show or even be able to log into IM chat. My leisure computer time has really dwindled a LOT in the past couple years, and most of what I do on here now usually pertains to work, work, and more work.

Looking for some good wholesome family-fun entertainment from the zaniest puppet cast of them all? Give Oh! Pawpets! a try sometime. They're out there......
www.ohpawpetsshow.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roommate is using one of the server (9000) to do DJing for some virtual club in Second Life.

They're still there for anyone who wants to use them. Just let me know if you need the password.

Cheers!!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> KWKAT - Planetfurry NetRadio Station! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: